Carnivale

Carnivale has just premiered on HBO, locally anyway. On all of the promos for it, there is reference to the show having won 5 Emmy awards last year. There have also been references to the show having been on the Internet (streaming video?).

Does anyone know the history of this show?

Thanks,

Seeker4

HBO’s new miniseries set in the Depression’s dustbowl airs episode 4 tonight at 10:30. It seems to have settled into this time slot, so set your clocks.

Young Hawkins trying to bury his Mama on the foreclosed piece of dirt and dust so empty and barren that you could watch your dog run away for three days, with the bank-dispatched bulldozer threatening to roll him over if he don’t git, opens this wierd little tale. Rescued by some passing carnies and allowed to give his Ma a decent burial, he soon faints, leaving the carnies with little choice but to toss him into the back of one of their caravans.

Young Hawkins, bewitched by devastating nightmares, shares these same nightmares with this fire’ n brimstone preacher with an uncanny ability to cause hallucinations in himself and his flock.

The two are set to collide, I’m sure.

Plenty of interesting characters all suitably grimy and hungry people this spell-o-drama, with slick tricks and nifty twists of plot to boot.

Watch out for the preacher’s sister. I think I saw a flash of her in one of the nightmares. She ain’t all that she seems, I dare speculate.

So, no spoilers so far…and easy enough to pick up on the story if you are just joining. Hawkins has the healing gift, and somethings’ gotta die for something dyin to live…

Well worth a watch…

After being fascinated by the recurring “Carnivale” trailers in the gym, I caught the first two episodes on HBO while travelling in China and for the first time in years regretted not to have cable tv. I was thinking of bribing Rascal into letting me watch at his place. But considered the fact that I’ve probably missed at least 4 episodes by now, I’m not sure it makes sense to restart.

Any opinion from the regular “Carnivalistas”? Toe Save?

Iris

[quote=“iris”]After being fascinated by the recurring “Carnivale” trailers in the gym, I caught the first two episodes on HBO while travelling in China and for the first time in years regretted not to have cable tv. I was thinking of bribing Rascal into letting me watch at his place. But considered the fact that I’ve probably missed at least 4 episodes by now, I’m not sure it makes sense to restart.

Any opinion from the regular “Carnivalistas”? Toe Save?

Iris[/quote]

Ya…it’s be kinda tough to jump in now. It is getting better and better tho. The perfect partner and I are regular Joneses now. Unfortunately, I have to sit thru a SATC episode prior to my Carnivale fix. Okay, the last 2 weeks weren’t too bad cuz my main man Mikhail B was leaping over garbage piles and stuff…but I digress

Actually Iris, you know the characters, so you could probably catch right up. Some serious shit went down in Babylon last week and they are on the road again…heading South. Next week should be fresh plot line.

Just checked Amazon US. Season 1 is coming out on DVD on Dec. 7. For those who have no clue what we’re talking about, here’s the IMDB entry.

Looks like I’ve found a friendly soul who lets me watch episode 6 at their place tonight. Thanks, I’ll bring some ice cream :wink:
Iris

I’m very disappointed with the series. Too many empty, stereotypical characters that for some reason just don’t grab my attention (e.g. the bearded lady, the twins, the lizard dude all seem to share a personality. I even find Hawkins, and the little dude with the hat to be annoying.
Too much “forced weirdness”…if you watch a Lynch series or movie things can get over the top, but seem to just naturally happen. It just “is”. In Carnivale I’m too aware of the writing/directing.

And I SO wanted to like it. I would like to hear some analysis from people who enjoy the series. I’m interested in hearing different opinions.
And one guy I really like is the dude with the funny leg, the head tent set-upper person who’s always giving the little dude crap.
And I quite liked the guy they met in Babylon.
Aside from that, yaaaawn!

[quote=“twonavels”]I’m very disappointed with the series. Too many empty, stereotypical characters that for some reason just don’t grab my attention (e.g. the bearded lady, the twins, the lizard dude all seem to share a personality. I even find Hawkins, and the little dude with the hat to be annoying.
Too much “forced weirdness”…if you watch a Lynch series or movie things can get over the top, but seem to just naturally happen. It just “is”. In Carnivale I’m too aware of the writing/directing.

And I SO wanted to like it. I would like to hear some analysis from people who enjoy the series. I’m interested in hearing different opinions.
And one guy I really like is the dude with the funny leg, the head tent set-upper person who’s always giving the little dude crap.
And I quite liked the guy they met in Babylon.
Aside from that, yaaaawn![/quote]

Well, I’m “conflicted,” as they say. On one hand, I agree with Twonavels, especially the comments on “forced weirdness” or weirdness just to be weird and blatant direction. On the other hand, I’m desperate for at least one program on TV that I can bear. Since the demise of X-Files, my crackers and water TV diet has been reduced to water. Carnivale can’t compare, in my opinion, with the early years of a show like X-Files, but it is the only remotely weird and unpredictable show on TV today, that I’ve heard of anyway. I’m hanging in there for a while. It is at least that interesting.

As an aside: Can someone who doesn’t have A.D.D. read the original post and answer it? :laughing:

Thanks,

Seeker4

[quote=“seeker4”]…As an aside: Can someone who doesn’t have A.D.D. read the original post and answer it? :laughing:

Thanks,

Seeker4[/quote]

Have you tried this yet?

My ‘answer’ to your request is so obvious that I suspect no one (including me) understands your question, seeker. Maybe you meant to write ‘let’s discuss’ instead of ‘Does anyone know the history of this show?’

:idunno:

When you miss an episode and are dying to know what happened, read the recaps at www.televisionwithoutpity.com

OT but anyone know when Six Feet Under is on?

[quote=“flike”][quote=“seeker4”]…As an aside: Can someone who doesn’t have A.D.D. read the original post and answer it? :laughing:

Thanks,

Seeker4[/quote]

Have you tried this yet?

My ‘answer’ to your request is so obvious that I suspect no one (including me) understands your question, seeker. Maybe you meant to write ‘let’s discuss’ instead of ‘Does anyone know the history of this show?’

:idunno:[/quote]
Ask a hard question, can’t get an answer. Ask an easy question, can’t get an answer. What’s the world coming to??? You know that joke where a guy asks another one if he knows the time, and the man answers “yes” and walks away. Seems like we’re headed there. :wink:

My question is really very simple. Carnivale didn’t “start” when it hit the airwaves in Asia this season, so I’m just wondering when it did start, in the U.S., and what its history is.

Believe it or not, that info isn’t readily available (or obvious) on the official website.

Seeker4

epguides.com and tvtome.com are great resources for finding out what episodes were played when and what their official titles were. According to epguides.com/carnivale/ the first episode aired September 14, 2003.

[quote=“seeker4”]
As an aside: Can someone who doesn’t have A.D.D. read the original post and answer it? :laughing:

Thanks,

Seeker4[/quote]

Erm…I wasn’t answering your post, FWIW. Somehow, you managed to get your post bumped to the top of a thread I started. Maybe the mods have some of that ol Carnivale magic running in their blood too???

But I definately do have ADDS…or as I prefer to call it…ADSL…I am able to download way too much information for such a simple processor as my brain.

And I agree, now that navelgazers brings it up. I guess that was my reservation at first…it’s hip to be weird kinda thing…but the language and characterizations are building solidly enough…the mother-daughter relationship with the psychics is pretty cool…as is the family dynamic with the strippers…the father of which is a fantastic character-actor who has created many memorable villians in the Law and Order shows. I like the idea that the freaks are an amalgum of one distinct character…split 3 ways…imagine a set of bearded, siamese, lizard-ladies…that can sing and dance???

I am sure the feeling of disingenuousity will pass as Hawkins begins to accept his role. I find his “reluctant” hero bit starting to wear thin…he almost came out a few episodes back…but Deus Ex Sistera saved us from the reveal.

Bigger things to worry about tho…Samson broke the code…that doesn’t bode well.

Looks like HBO slipped the next episode in on Sunday afternoon at 1300HRS.

[quote=“Toe Save”]Watch out for the preacher’s sister. I think I saw a flash of her in one of the nightmares. She ain’t all that she seems, I dare speculate.
[/quote]

Aha! I told y’all. That sister is the devil incarnate leading poor, devout Brother Justin along the path to ruin. Last night’s episode went along way to answering some of that percieved “weird for the sake of being weird” feeling alot of us were feeling.

Doncha just love Samson?

And how about that Adrienne Barbeau…she’s aged nicely. A right dustbowl MILF. She represents all the best mammeries of my high school daze.

Does anyone know how many episodes we are going to get in this current HBO Asia run? What season are they watching back in the States now?

I think we’re only a couple of weeks behind the States… the Nov 30 show was episode 1-12.

My lord, they certainly quickened the pace for these last two episodes. I’m still indecisive…I think it’s the first time in my life that I haven’t been sure whether I liked something or not, and I think I kind of enjoy the feeling. They did a lot of cutting, didn’t they? I’m afraid to google because I don’t want to know anything about episodes that I haven’t seen yet.
At least I can google Jonesie and see if I can come up with some naked pics! :wink:

Wierdness for wierdness sake isn’t really wierd and it isn’t very interesting either. I can’t believe some people prefer this crap to Six Feet Under.

[quote=“twonavels”]My lord, they certainly quickened the pace for these last two episodes. I’m still indecisive…I think it’s the first time in my life that I haven’t been sure whether I liked something or not, and I think I kind of enjoy the feeling. They did a lot of cutting, didn’t they? I’m afraid to google because I don’t want to know anything about episodes that I haven’t seen yet.
At least I can google Jonesie and see if I can come up with some naked pics! :wink:[/quote]

I gotta agree with you again DuoButtons…I am really on the fence here…not sure if I am being led down the proverbial garden path or on the verge of TV History…

Talk about your cliffhangers. So, what happens now? Do we wait three years for the next season?

Anyone downloading it? I’ll bring the “snacks”.

the question of when the show first aired came up, it was back in September 2003. they are just replaying season 1 because season 2 starts jan 9 2005. iam still in canada so i will be watching. the show is kind of weird, but i found thats what makes it good. network tv here is mostly made up of reality shows so its nice to see something very original.

I have just watched the first season and it is a really great show, battle of good and evil. Anyone seen it?

Yup. Saw it first time round (for HBO, that is). Really liked it. Pretty surreal.

Reminded me a lot of Twin Peaks, when it started getting weird. Funny enough, that little guy (Michael J Anderson) was also in Twin Peaks. Not really a co-incidence I suppose.