Carnivore Diet?

Why? Withdrawals are over in 1-2 weeks if you can get through it. His symptoms don’t really fit. I have hundreds of clinical hours clocked in at a drug rehab. I don’t think that it fits. And I think he had these issues from young, so it hard to believe he wouldn’t know his symptoms are from benzodiazepines and pursue a diet like his.

Is it? Idk, they seemed to have survived some harsh conditions eating mostly meat.

Apparently it was his daughter who found that a carnivore diet worked for her because she was allergic to, like, everything. I suppose he just gave it a go for the sake of family harmony. I agree with @Hanna that it just sounds unpleasant. I’ve been to those steak shops where they literally serve you a chunk of dead animal and nothing else: it’s always a great steak, but I want to eat something else with it. It’s just boring otherwise.

I think a lot of people confuse “low-carb” with “carnivore”. They are not remotely the same thing. Dunno if that’s the case with JP. I’d imagine he’s smarter than that.

So has anybody tried this? @Andrew0409 , did you try it? I’m thinking of recommending this to my wife. She lost about 5 kilos with OMAD, but then is finding continuing with only one meal a day difficult. If the carnivore diet works, it seems like such a more pleasant way to do things than OMAD. I’m on about a 18/6 fast, and it’s hard on some days even with that. But I’m at my goal weight so I’m reluctant to change things. But if the carnivore diet works for my wife, maybe I can use some type of combination (for example, a carnivore breakfast, and semi-low carb for the rest of the day).

Again, for my wife, I think this might just be the thing to get her to lose the last about 3.5 kilos (or possibly more if this works).

1 Like

I have done it for 2.5 months.

Not going to lie. I think the high fat content in this diet gave me diarrhea in the first week but my body adjusted and it was fine after.

I did notice fat loss while maintaining and maybe even gaining some lean muscle tissue. I felt pretty good on it after the first week (similar to any keto or low carb diet) your body and brain adapts to it. And I love eating meat so it wasn’t a painful diet for me to follow. The trick is to mix the type of meat I would add fish and seafood in as well which are very underrated food in terms of nutrition.

But my thoughts are that it wasn’t the best in terms of athletic performance output. I feel like I performed best with low carbs but not almost no carbs like keto or in this instance keto carnivore.

I ultimately ended the experiment because I felt it was unnecessarily restrictive unless someone like Peterson who has sensitivity to foods.

I now do a Mediterranean diet but I avoid a lot of high carb stuff like bread. I tent to eat rice for my main source of carbs. A little bit of vegetables as I do like some but I find them overrated in terms of being healthy food. They aren’t very nutrient dense or even very bioavailable. Meat and fish are some of the most nutrient dense foods and very bioavailable which is another plus for carnivore diet. I eat lots of eggs (have chickens in our land in italy) and olive oil/butter and avoid seed oils.

I eat almost no processed foods which is honestly the best foundation to start.

3 Likes

I think for most people it works well to just avoid industrially processed foods and live an active life. But that goes also for meat that comes from factories where they inject the animals with all sorts of chemicals. Leaving out sugar and all products containing sugar already makes a big difference when it comes to well-being.

2 Likes

I think no vegetables would drive my wife crazy. But for a couple of months to lose that last 3.5 kilos, maybe it would be doable. No carbs drives me crazy. I had pizza last Sunday and just loved it. But I worked out like crazy over the weekend so there was no change to my weight.

I’ll report here if my wife tries the carnivore diet.

You should check out Paul Saladino who eats animal based with some healthy fruits and vegetables and honey. His diet is closer to mine.

I don’t think your wife needs to do a strict carnivore if her goal is weight loss as she doesn’t suffer from food sensitivity like Peterson does.

2 Likes