Carrefour French cheeses

With some Carrefour dark rye, Carrefour sun-dried tomatoes, olives from Carrefour, and Costco pine nuts

2 Likes

Ha. Not exactly eating local, are we? (Sounds good!)

Not today!

Seriously? Who knew?

Camembert doesn’t stink! Something is dying in your fridge and it’s not the cheese.

Aldi, German!

1 Like

fixed that one.

You don’t understand what rye bread is.

No? You bet?

If you didn’t like the FB sliced rye, it can’t be denied.

Facebook sliced rye?

1 Like

Interesting, and I would to try to see if is really better than the French ones. In France there are so many local ones so I can say most people miss out although the Carrefour ones in Taiwan are decent.

1 Like

Probably like Kavalan winning a whiskey award

2 Likes

What happened to the nice selection of cheese at Carrefour?

1 Like

it’s all plastic cheese, liquid/spreads and shredded pizza type cheeses at the one I was just at :frowning: though they did have lots of various Japanese ones. the ones we go were all either super soft and sketchy and/or sweet :frowning: The highlight of the recent carrefour adventure was theye had Kraft Dinner. a bit ashamed, I bought a few boxes, just cause. was in costco last year (kaohsiung) and their cheese section was basically nil as well. might of been an unlucky supply issue.

I have noticed a huge influx of gouda and emmental cheese slices in the usual chain shops recently. Prices even going up, which usually means sales.

for some reason the past few times we had german made plastic cheese it was sticky, and melted into near liquid. by far, the WORST “cheese” I have ever seen…and from germany. I had higher Hope’s

interestingly, the best plastic cheese we can.get easily.now is Taiwanese. go figure. but the processes squares are a low bar so I kinda feel like a fool for even being excited about it.

:face_vomiting:

ps. I apologize to all Europeans for this post. its nasty stuff, truly. but to be fair, it was from germany, so get yer sh*t together europe. its just rude to assume us in asia deserve such treament!

taiwanese brand, good for burgers:

i like this one for cold sandwiches. gives the wife nasty shitz, so I don’t need to share my sandwiches, bonus points. it’s got a stinky cheese funk too, so even less sharing.

not great cheeses, but perfect for the burger/sandwich style at work

I did buy some cheese yesterday despite initial frustration. I bought some French cream cheese and un petit camembert.

But out of all the ‘cheese’ product on display, not much was actually cheese. It’s amazing how many ‘cheese products’ don’t actually say they are cheese… because they’re not! Some had a laughing cow on it, some claimed to be ‘singles’ or ‘kraft’ assuming that customers conflated the terms with ‘cheese’, … but if you looked at the packaging very very few said in English or Chinese or any language that they were ‘CHEESE’!

The irony of shopping in Carrefour was that I was able to buy 2 or 3 different kinds of British cheese, all supplied by “President” France. Go figure! Mind you, a certain other supermarket still hasn’t discovered cheese at all but is quite happy to stock hundreds of different ingredients for hotpot, loaded up on BBQ for 9/29 and refused to sell regular chicken… I really wonder why I patronize them.

There really isn’t a single decent supermarket in Taiwan! None come close to the range of products available in a typical UK store. I won’t even mention the prices because most products here are much more expensive. Sigh!

1 Like

You love standing in line?

The Zott slices are very runny, hard to get out of the plastic. Why don’t you just stick with the Carrefour branded stuff? Their cheddar, Comte and Emmental not bad by my palate.

1 Like

Not sure if it still exists, but Jason’s grocery in the basement of Taipei 101 may have a better selection.

If you do check this out, would be interested in an update and review. Thanks in advance.