Carrefour leaving Taiwan

[quote=“Tiger Mountaineer”][quote=“Bu Lai En”]

Here’s five more reasons to go to Carrefour:

Ron Pampero white rum
Ron Matusalem white rum
Neissons white rhum agricole
St James amber rhum agricole
Broker’s London dry gin

These are all excellent spirits at excellent prices that you won’t find ANYWHERE else in Taiwan. Costco, on the other hand, doesn’t stock a single spirit that I’m vaguely interested in, that I couldn’t buy at a hundred other places.[/quote]

Unfortunately, it seems that many of the Carrefours don’t have the interesting selection of spirits that you mention. Neihu sucks particularly badly as DB mentioned above. As for Costco, you should give their Kirkland bourbon (Knob Creek 7yrs $599/1l) and anejo tequila (produced by the same distillery as KAH, Dos Manos, Don Camilo, ~$6XX/1l) a shot for cheap premium mixers. They also sell Cointreau cheaper than any of the hypermarts.[/quote]

I truly don’t mean to be argumentative, as I really do appreciate any tips on where to find liquor that you can’t get elsewhere. I really do.

BUT

I don’t like that Kirkland Bourbon at all, and from what I’ve read it seems highly unlikely that it’s actual Knob Creek. It IS made by Jim Beam, as is Knob Creek, but it’s worlds away from my Knob Creek Small batch.

I haven’t tried the tequila.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote=“Elegua”][quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]Carrefour: the French and Italian style bread is deepfrozen and not baked in Taiwan probably, their Taiwanese style western bread is baked on property and is terrible

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk 4[/quote]

Oh come on! At my
Xindian
Carrefour, it’s baked on site, right in front of your eyes. I often get it still warm form the oven.

Here’s five more reasons to go to Carrefour:

Ron Pampero white rum
Ron Matusalem white rum
Neissons white rhum agricole
St James amber rhum agricole
Broker’s London dry gin

These are all excellent spirits at excellent prices that you won’t find ANYWHERE else in Taiwan. Costco, on the other hand, doesn’t stock a single spirit that I’m vaguely interested in, that I couldn’t buy at a hundred other places.[/quote]

Do they carry all of that in Xindian? I hate trekking to Tianmu[/quote]

Yes. It’s pretty mucht he only one I go to. I went to the Zhishan one, but didn’t see anything special (none of the rumoured vegemite).[/quote]

Thanks!

Did someone mention Carrefour?

fiftyyearsandcounting.wordpress. … -wishfour/

And in a somewhat related issue, PX Mart about to acquire RT Mart.

So we have Carrefour swallowing Welcome and now PX Mart incorporating RT Mart. Mmmm

2 Likes

Gross Jim Bean is the lowest form if whiskey in my book.

Have you ever given local whiskey a chance? I’m curious if kavalan is any good?

You are responding to a post from 2013. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

:grimacing: oops

1 Like

Don’t worry, you can blame @Icon for her eight year grave dig. :grin:

Sadly, however, the rumours of Carrefour wanting to exit the market here continue to persist.

Guy

1 Like

Oh that’s huge

We’re heading, it seems, to some sort of duopoly.

About RT Mart: they seem (at least to me) to have become utterly confused about their place in the market. All the stuff I could get from them before disappeared, without adding stuff I actually want to buy. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

The execs are RTMART were still French in part, or were 7 years ago. This seems to be a global trend in super market/hyper markets, big foreign chains getting beaten out of market by local heroes

Bad news for the consumer

2 Likes

RTMart does merchandising individually by store. Some categories are just way better than others there, such as wine.

2 Likes

In the case of Taiwan, we have exactly one such “hero”: PX Mart. Please don’t tell me they’ll be the only ones standing at the end of this. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy

1 Like

Is it true that Carrefour Taiwan is for sale? Edit I found this:

1 Like

It’s been widely reported that they’ve been talking to / approaching others about selling.

Guy

I can’t work out who would buy them though. Maybe Walmart. Unlikely to be Tesco.

Yeah, there have been quite a few posts over in the Carrefour 2021 Thread about it, starting with the link below, but I haven’t heard any recent developments.

Are we even heading for a duopoly? Will it be all PXMart, with a few scattered Cities and Breezes Super catering to a “luxury” import market for things like blocks of cheddar or salad greens or baked beans?

1 Like

I would think Uni-President, who already run many large chains

Hypermarkets are a tough thing to manage. Thinking about global supply chains and ensuring the freshness of so many products.

1 Like