Cartoonists in Taipei?

Hi!

My first love was cartooning. I am getting back to practicing. But first I want to make sure that I can get my drawings from 8x11 printer paper sketches to presentable digital files on my blog.

I’m told that the easiest way to do this involves tracing regular sketches onto bristol board, using felt tip pens, on a light table. I have only a vague idea of what these things are and even less of a clue where to find them in Taipei.

…I would love to find a cartoonist in Taipei who sketches by hand, so that I can come watch her/his process going from napkin sketch to uploaded file. I am 100% committed to being a gopher (as in gopher coffee), not messing with anything, but merely asking a few questions for a couple of hours at someone’s home studio.

Thanks so much in advance if you can introduce me or point me in the right direction.

-Zach
zprgrove@yahoo.com

I would Google “cartooning process” or similar keywords. I have found many tutorials about comic production using the current “standard” tools like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. You could use the public domain alternatives for those as well. I would think that in this day and age, your best choice would be to get a graphic tablet and pen and learn to produce work digitally from the beginning. (Disclosure: I do illustration work for games and publications, but not comics, so there could be some differences in workflow I’m not aware of.)

Thanks Terry…yes, drawing digitally in the first place would make things a whole lot easier. For me, finding a good digital pen for a tablet is the issue - I went to Computex in Taipei last month and wasn’t impressed by the pens you have to pick up and change the thickness setting.

Do you have a pressure-sensitive tablet pen for your illustration work? I’m hesitant to buy one without trying, so any recommendations help!

I work with a reconditioned Wacom. I guess it is pressure sensitive but the kinds of illustration I’ve been doing haven’t really called for it, so I’m not sure. Had it for a few years now.

Hi there! I’m actually a cartoonist, but I’m not in Taipei but down on Nantou.

I work on both digital and traditional. I have really never been a big fan of light tables, I’ll rather work straight on the bristol board, but sometimes is better to make a little mock up of what you want to draw first, it helps a lot for keeping your work as clean as possible.

Also if you use a regular pencil to sketch on the board and then ink it with a pen (penbrush or others), you can later use a kneaded eraser and it looks like there was no pencils ever. Or you can get get color pencil leads (they have them in most stationary stores) like blue or red and when you scan the final piece you can disappear the colored sketch on Photoshop.

What I have been doing lately is start with a little sketch on half a piece of paper, then scan it enlarge it and print it on a comic book board (bristol paper) on a pale blue color and then apply inks on it. Something like this:

For digital I use a small 10" tablet form Yiynova, is like a Cintiq knock off, it works fine and I make a lot of work straight on it but still can’t replace for free hand for larger illustrations, but is great for making great finished pages, and my favorite software on it is Manga Studio 5 and here is a video of me doing some quick stuff on it.

You can ask me whatever you want to know.

Ok, I’m not a professional cartoonist, but I studied Comic back in Barcelona. I live in Taipei, and while sometimes I use a digital WACOM tablet to color my paintings or to do quick color sketches, I still think that nothing beats pen and paper when it comes to draw. I usually do the pencil sketch with a mechanical pencil, and then either I sketch and color it using digital tools, or I ink it using a brush.

If you ever want to meet to discuss drawing, I’m ok with that, I always enjoy a talk with creative fellows.

A couple of samples of what I do:

This is mechanical 2H pencil, sepia ink and grey watercolor:

This is a comic page drawn in mechanical 2H pencil (and mechanical blue pencil for the rough sketch):

This is mechanical 2H pencil scanned and colored in Photoshop (I used Photoshop before, but lately I use Gimp or Mypaint, which are free and open-source)

tex mex: is drawing your job here?

OP. do you want to colour your work or just display it on your blog as it is? if you just want to show it as it is, then just take a photo, people can appreciate that its hand drawn that way and not digital. if you wanna colour it, or spruce up the lines you are going to need to be familiar with photoshop. you can scan your lines, they dont need to pen, they can be pencil, i used to pencil and then adjust the lines to be darker in photoshop. i also used a light box. it was pretty great. basically, use whatever material you are comfortable with.

i just use a wacom and photoshop nowadays, i still use sketchbooks for ideas, thumbnails, working out ect but most of my stuff is totally digital now. it takes out a lot of hassle of scanning, and erasing. if you want some straight shooting advice i would suggest buying a wacom bamboo and getting hold of a copy of photoshop.

Well drawing is my profession, but I can’t say is my job here since I don’t have a working permit (nor a lot of options), I’m still doing visa runs (I need to get a police check). But yeah is the only thing I do, it pays the bills and little bit more somehow. The only person I was doing some cartoons for, here, pissed me off so I haven’t done nothing local for a while now, not missing it tho.

And about the inking thing, darkening pencils is an option, but personally I love inks, I’m addicted to it.
I love their crispiness and expression and after you get some practice they are easier on your hands than pencils, I mean I still sketch everything on pencils but really loose, and I let the inks talk.
Also most of my work is making a lot of originals for collectors so it is always good to make stuff look more defined.

Are you guys into comics books or mangas? There’s a manga-con happening next week, I like to go check other guys (and lot of girls) work, and see the local market. I curious of having something printed here.

awesome! so do you work freelance? how long have you been doing the visa runs? whats this police check business? is it something to worry about continually doing visa runs? (sorry for all the questions) i’d like to be doing some kind of work with locals here in some form… i am making a bet on t-shirts being a good path to go down, as there are so many random t-shirt designs here. one company has said they will print a couple of my designs so it seems to be starting off ok.

i do make comics, i had my first graphic novel out last year, but it didnt really pay the bills(understatement of the century) so i am pretty much holding off from that until i am making a decent living doing something art related. would love to check out a con here when i am back into it though… must be better than the cons back home in uk.

yea ink is nice… i pointed out i like using pencil because its a bit of a misconception that you have to use ink. you dont, you can use whatever works for you basically

August 15th: taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003567150

I was planning to go there and take a look, I’ve never been on a comic convention outside Europe, and I’m curious to see what’s in offer. Maybe to see if I can find the old Capcom Illustrated works, which was stolen from me at my comic school years ago:

Man, that was a GREAT book! :smiley:

[quote=“Lros”]awesome! so do you work freelance? how long have you been doing the visa runs? whats this police check business? is it something to worry about continually doing visa runs? (sorry for all the questions) I’d like to be doing some kind of work with locals here in some form… I am making a bet on t-shirts being a good path to go down, as there are so many random t-shirt designs here. one company has said they will print a couple of my designs so it seems to be starting off ok.

I do make comics, I had my first graphic novel out last year, but it didnt really pay the bills(understatement of the century) so I am pretty much holding off from that until I am making a decent living doing something art related. would love to check out a con here when I am back into it though… must be better than the cons back home in uk.

yea ink is nice… i pointed out I like using pencil because its a bit of a misconception that you have to use ink. you dont, you can use whatever works for you basically[/quote]

Yup, mostly freelance, even tho I still need to sign contracts with different publishers I always try to squeeze some commissions here and there.

I was talking about the police record to get my JFRV, I will make my next run on September I got here summer last year. I really haven’t tried nothing here for business. My original idea was getting a kiosk at some mall and make caricatures but that never panned. A lot of locals say graphics are not well paid here, but I don’t really think they know that business. I’ll rather just have a studio with other artists, but really I have a ton of stuff I want to make but like you said printing is not as profitable nowadays unless you hit the right nail. Somebody said once that musicians don’t make as much money from their albums as they make with concerts and I think that sometimes it applies to the comic book world as well. SO the same thing, I want to print a creator owned book, well I actually just got one printed, a 88 pages tpb, but it came out of a webcomic I was drawing for a guy in Australia but the art sucks really bad lol, besides is only print on demand. So I’m trying to make time to make a book between other stuff.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]
Man, that was a GREAT book! :smiley:[/quote]

That looks interesting, I was talking about the Fancy Frontier, I went last year to the Fancy Petit, but is mostly creator owned work, like 80% of the place is artist alley, but a lot of great art.

You mean there’s actually a place where graphics are well paid?

That sounds interesting too… but I can’t understand anything of the website… and translator seems unable to do anything about it (I can only read gibberish on the translation). If I could, I’d like to go there to take a look.

And I’m also going to the big fair on August 15th.

Hey guys if anybody cares there’s another “comiccon” happening next week, from the 4th to 8th of February, a couple of friend and I gonna make the trip all the way to Taipei Saturday the 8th, we 3 speak Spanish and English, and very little Chinese, it’ll be fun.

The tickets are like 100nt on family mart. Care to join us? Perhaps somebody can show as a nice place to go eat afterwards. Claro que sí!

EDIT: We are thinking on going the 4th instead.

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aedu/201401130018.aspx

Event original site

http://www.ccpa.org.tw/tica/

Either the 4th or the 8th, I can make it in the morning (I have a role-playing session in the afternoon/evening) :slight_smile:

I think we are doing the 4th, we will get there around noon hopefully. I will see with this guys later today to confirm.

this might be a bit too late, but i do have a cintiq Im selling here. I brought it with me to do story boards for a film Im working on but ended up doing it on paper. let me know if anyone is interested.

In another time, I’d have jumped at the opportunity on getting my hands on a cintiq. Nowadays, it’s hard enough to try and get my clients to pay me for my work, so I have to pass on that. Darn.

Not that I can buy it right now, but what is the model and how much are you asking?