Cases where simplification made traditional characters worse/better

I prefer handwriting 区 instead of 區, and 号 instead of 號, because it’s SO MUCH EASIER to write in teeny little spaces. And 台 vs 臺, as previously mentioned (can you guess the only thing I write by hand is my address?).
Otherwise, I also prefer traditional characters. They have so, so much more depth and meaning. It’s easier to guess the meaning or even pronunciation of the word based on the radicals. Simplified looks like garbage, imo.

2 Likes

Handwriting is one thing. Taiwanese people use all kinds of simplified forms when handwriting.

I found that the simplest solution was to learn neither … simples :innocent:

I just found this character, but can’t find it in pleco, does anyone know what is the meaning and pronunciation?https://zidian.911cha.com/zi2c6a9.html

you mean 𬚩? It’s a Japanese created Kanji. Pronounced as いわくら iwakura or いわぐら iwagura. It was used in a Buddhist text and I think it means stone pile where the gods sit.

It is related to this Kanji

, which is also related to this Kanji

The closest I can get my trusty Linux Boshiamy IME to type out is 𡾏, which is another way for writing 巖 yán.

There’s also 𣡽, that’s 8 trees for ya.

1 Like

Thanks! So it is not Chinese, but Japanese.
The one with many 石 is wild.
I was unable to see most of the characters you typed though, my phone doesn’t support that “font”.

… uh no. The one in the middle is Japanese.

These are not simplifcations. These are variant forms.

1 Like

From what I am told 台 is considered to be traditional as well.

Edit: The 2nd answer is particularly detailed.

Thanks for that info. I found this article, which refers to them as 或體, or variations as Gain said: 「够」、「夠」之別 – 陳凱文研究室

I wanted to share a story about simplifications of a different kind.

One time I went to the optometrist who prescribed me eyedrops. The instructions wrote “eye drops x 3d” , I took it as “eye drops, 3 days”. It turned out the instructions actually were "eye drops, 3 滴!“ (di1). Apparently d sounds like 滴 so the doctor thought it was an appropriate substitution. But to Westerners, “d” means days.

4 Likes

I knew an ethnic Chinese man from Singapore whose name included the character 関. When making a business card for him, I asked him if I could use 關 instead, because I couldn’t find 関 in the character set at the time (about 20 years ago). He said no; his character was 関. So I had to use a graphical program to combine 門 and 关.

囉嗦!

I love the shinjitai. Whenever I write on a chalkboard, I use it. They strike they right balance.

Simplified SUCKS.

亿
綿 綿
线
访
調 調
貿 貿
广
滿
绿
驿
齿
2 Likes

I just wanted to add this one link. The author goes though his opinion of which words were simplified well and poorly
http://wordyenglish.com/chinese/chinese_bad_simplified_chars.html

2 Likes

Shinjitai of this character, 鑑, did not simplify the strokes at all. Also, that form seems to be the most common one used in Taiwan as well.

顔 is also almost indiscernible from 顏. Shinjitai has 产 at the top, and traditional has 文 at the top.

For 步, Shinjitai even added an extra stroke to make 歩…

瞭 vs 了

I find that since I am used to 了 at the end of past tense structures or sentences, I find that 了 looks empty compared to 瞭 in 瞭解 (as opposed to 了解) plus I always call it le when I see it.

I prefer 瞭 for liao and 了 for le. My observation on the habits of others in Taiwan is mixed between 瞭解 and 了解.

For clarification, when I say it feels empty, for me, it’s like seeing 广 and knowing that is supposed to be 廣.

Thoughts?

暸解 means understand clearly
了解 means understand completely

I’m just happy I can read them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems rather redundant.

Simplified doesn’t distinguish then, especially since the tones are exactly the same.

Screenshot_20190430-164812