Cashier-less/Unmanned convenience stores

Saw this cashier-less convenience store today. Need a app to use it. Someone has instructions on the Google maps review page.

Are there more in Taiwan? Anyone use them?

Darunfamini Station, Nanshijiao

RT Mart in Xindian has self check out and self scan with cellphone check out as well as traditional cashiers. Self check out needs a debit or credit card, no cash. I assume they will roll out to all RT mart supermarkets. Didn’t know they had convenience stores.

don’t understand why Taiwan convenience/grocery stores haven’t bought the self-scan technology that is used in many U.S. grocery stores for self-checkout.
Usually one employee there to help with any snafus. can set up 6 self-checkout scanners or more in the same space as two manned tellers

Tienmu Carrefour has it.

This entire shop is totally cashierless. There are no cashiers or registers. There is one person roaming around restocking and straightening the shelves who is available for questions.

my guess is for some reason people are skeptical so they are not using actual models that would work.had this technology in england for a long time now and its pretty simple. you can use cash or debit cards, no apps or any crap like that necessary.

I noticed a self checkout kiosk at the Watsons on Zhongxiao the other day.

Some already have. Labor here was so cheap that the investment didn’t make sense in the past, now that minimum wage is increasing it’s starting to make sense to get rid of the employees and have the customers do their work for free.

1 Like

Basically it makes us the laborers that they don’t have to pay. It doesn’t really make my life any easier, maybe even harder. Not a big fan.

1 Like

Convenience stores are some of the only places in Taiwan that have consistent levels of service. Unless prices in automated stores are ~50% less, I prefer not to automate people working for minimum wages out of a job.

3 Likes

It’s the increasing minimum wage that’s automating them out of a job.

the staff at 7-11 have a million things to do, it should make their jobs easier and give people less time waiting around.

In Taiwan app developers really love their QR codes. They seem to work them into every process flow…

Has anyone seen any or tried any completely cashier less convenience stores?

7-Eleven now ~three cashierless convenience stores called “7-11 X”.

Xinyi area located here
https://maps.app.goo.gl/oPaqMufoCqiZVmVVA

Dunno about others but I hate to self-do anything. Rather wait in line and have people serve me :joy: and there will never be a self ckeckout convenience store because what’s so convenient about a convenience store is to have a clerk mailing/ frying chicken/making bubble tea and do everything for you. Self-checkout grocery stores maybe, but self-checkout convenience stores just anti Taiwan and I will not allow it :rage:

1 Like

I wish Aldi and Lidl would set up here in Tapei/Taiwan supermarkets here are shockingly bad for non-Taiwanese, Mainland China has Tesco! Carrefour would be OK if stocked more French goods.
Taiwans import structure is to fierce to open the markets.
I recently visited Cambodia 3rd world economy? supermarkets in Siem Reap are amazing for outsiders, they understand market Tourist economy, something that does and will deter tourism in Taiwan.

Unmanned.

7-ELEVEN X-STORE 2號店, No. 180號, Section 1, Keelung Rd, Xinyi District
https://goo.gl/maps/8DS45LFcLh4JubnZ7

Kaoshiung one, with beer bar on 2nd floor.

All foreign stores started out with a shitload of imported goods (Tesco, Makro, Geant, Carrefour, Wellcome, ParknShop …) Taiwan’s public doesn’t want it, so they switched back stocking local items. Or they just let the Taiwan market for what it is, bland, and left.