Cat goes crazy when I use bleach

Hi everyone,

I recently have a problem with my little Aineko (female, housecat/formosan leopard hybrid I adopted 1.5 years ago)
Whenever I use bleach added to water to mop my floor, she just goes crazy. She rolls on the ground, rubs against everything that was touched by bleach and, most dangerously, tastes any drop of water/ bleach mix that hasn’t evaporate yet (she does not really drink it).

Is this normal? I tried to let her carefully smell an open bleach bottle and she looked disgusted and ran away. Why is it she’s only attracted to it when it’s on the floor??

Thanks for listening.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Bleach is very dangerous for cats. It will literally diosconnect their kidneys. As a matter of fact, I do not use bleach at all in teh house, except in the toilet. Rest is vinegar and in case of doubt, steam.

Your cat is attracted to the bleach because bleach actually enhances the organic smells. So, if you use it against let’s say a urine spill, the smell will be greatly increased and that is what attracts your cat.

[quote=“Icon”]Bleach is very dangerous for cats. It will literally diosconnect their kidneys. As a matter of fact, I do not use bleach at all in teh house, except in the toilet. Rest is vinegar and in case of doubt, steam.

Your cat is attracted to the bleach because bleach actually enhances the organic smells. So, if you use it against let’s say a urine spill, the smell will be greatly increased and that is what attracts your cat.[/quote]

Thank you for the precise answer!

I in fact use it in the bathroom and on the balcony only. So far I have been really careful not to let her out of my room before the floor was perfectly dry, but I’ll think of an altetnative detergent.

Interesting - so is this why my cat totally falls in love with me when I’ve just gone swimming? One ignores me, but the other starts rubbing her head all over my arms and face. I’ve always assumed it’s the smell of chlorine, but you’re saying it’s actually my smell that has become stronger?!

I don’t know if this makes me more affectionate, or more worried, about my cat.