Cats and dogs fur ban

C’mon, Mr. He. That’s what this is all about. Dogs and cats are raised and killed under appalling conditions in China and the fur is then exported, with Europe being a very important market, particularly after the US ban.

Therefore, banning the import and trade in dog and cat fur in France is not a symbolic act, but a necessary step in the right direction.[/quote]

Does it really matter if the fur used comes from dogs/cats or rabbits/foxes?

I’m going over to Mr. He’s house. Gonna make me a fine pair of bedroom slippers outta Vivi. That oughter learn him. There might even be enough left over for a furry codpiece for Stray Dog.

Let’s see - I know a guy, who’s planning to sell scottish things for gun. wonder what he would have to say if we sold small pieces of a real scotchman. (Certified).

Seriously, I would have a problem with skinning my pet when I am short of a winter coat, however the relatively humane slaughter of an animal bred for either clothes or food in reasonable humane conditions would not cause me to lose one moments sleep.

Given that most of the anti-fur brigade are eating meat, I can’t see why they are sitting so hard on the fence.

I think one of the main issues in this debate is that the animals farmed for their fur are neither raised nor slaughtered in even remotely humane conditions. [/b]

[quote=“trapjaw”][quote=“Mr He”]

Seriously, I would have a problem with skinning my pet when I am short of a winter coat, however the relatively humane slaughter of an animal bred for either clothes or food in reasonable humane conditions would not cause me to lose one moments sleep.

[/quote]

I think one of the main issues in this debate is that the animals farmed for their fur are neither raised nor slaughtered in even remotely humane conditions. [/quote]

:bravo: Exactly. Didn’t anyone else have a look at the video (Real Player required)? :s Shall I post some pictures?

IMHO, it wouldn’t matter if the animals were raised and slaughtered in equal conditions. It’d be equally bad. But that’s just my opinion and I suppose most people would disagree.

[quote=“trapjaw”]
I think one of the main issues in this debate is that the animals farmed for their fur are neither raised nor slaughtered in even remotely humane conditions. [/b][/quote]

I think I agree with that, however controversial that is. Funny how the word humane is used often in this type of context. Humanistic:One who is concerned with the interests and welfare of humans. :ponder:

As far as my knowledge goes, nowadays most if not all animals farmed for either food, fur, etc, on a commercial scale are treated in ways that are far from humane.

bobepine

Unfortunately Mr HE, Europe and especially France, Germany and Italy are importing dogs and cats fur.
Dogs and cats fur are sold in parisian shops. France and Italy being I suppose one of the hottest spot for fashion and especially for fur coats, I do not think it is merely a symbolic act.

Of course there is a long way to go (hopefully better checkings can be implemented in ports or airports). But to make it more difficult to import will save thousands of dogs and cats lives.

And I agree with Bobepine that animals raised for food are not treated in a humane way either but are now considered like machines for the follwing reasons : Productivity: Born to breed, grow up quickly (with the help of hormones), live at little cost (in boxes and given food they should not be eating) die young.
But this is another issue

Still a long long long way to go.

I was a vegetarian and now I am not and quite frankly I would never go back. Almost every omnivore and certainly every carnivore kills for food. I own leather hiking boots and eat most meat,(not pork, can’t stand the taste and I think pigs are pretty smart). However in all of this I believe that moderation should be key and the treatment of the animals we do use for food and clothing needs to be much improved. I am not against all leather products, provided they come from an animal that is being used for more than just its fur. When we kill something all of it should be used, not just a piece here and there. I am not opposed to people raising dogs or cats for food provided they are treated humanly in the process. Our disgust with the idea of eating certain meats is something that is driven into our psychy from the time we are very young. I respect the hell out of anyone who can go vegetarian and last. I lost all of my energy when I stopped eating meat. I have to say I still love vegetarian food, but I also love a good steak or a burger and as long as the meat I am eating comes from animals who have had a life not chained up or caged then I am okay with it. By the way if I am ever killed and eaten by a bear I expect everyone to just let the bear be.