Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

If I was the government :wink: you wouldn’t be allowed to BUY AND SELL puppies and kittens. Taht’s the whole point - if someone really wants one they have to take a stary. I guess they could find one from the pound or some middle (goverment subsidised) organisation that cleans them up, sterilises them and lisences them, or maybe adopt straight off the street, but they’d have to get it licensed.

The point is that you can get all those things like companionship, sense of responsibility etc from adopting a stray. If we’re so fussy we want a certain breed, not a stray mongrel, then we’re only considering our own interests, not those of the animal. The exception for licensed breeders is for those who need dogs for specific purposes like guide dogs, sheep dogs etc.

The whole purpose is to stop the culture where dogs and cats are bred to be sold as cute little animals and then abandoned where they keep breeding, and at the same time actually try and reduce the numbers of strays that are already around.

bri

Bri,
What if what you’re looking for is in the genes? I am lucky enough to have a pure-bred lab. Even though I have rescued one stray dog before, I decided not to go that route this time, because I wanted my dog to have certain features that can usually be found only in certain breeds.
Labs are people dogs, and they do not get too hyper indoors. Neither do Great Danes, for that matter, while some small dogs (Jack Russell Terriers, for instance) will bounce off the walls. Tibetan Mastiffs make wonderful watchdogs and loyal devoted comapnions, but they only bond with one person, are aloof with people they know, and can be terrifying to people they don’t. It’s how they were bred.
I’ve seen local mutts that can follow a couple of basic instructions, but I have never seen one with the thirst for training and instruction that my dog has, apart from my good friend and neighbour who has two full-grown Golden Retrievers that he brought with him from Canada. Those are the best-mannered, personable, intelligent dogs I have ever seen.
I wanted a dog that would go swimming with me at the beach. Well, Labs are bred for coats that react well to salt-water, and their webbed toes make them keen swimmers.
I wanted a dog that reacts well to people. This is necessary, because in Taiwan, so many people want to pet him that I would always have to worry about a nervous or skittish dog biting someone who pulled the dog’s tail or ear too hard. My dog takes these things in stride.
I wanted a dog that could co-exist with my two cats. Well, the cats aren’t crazy about him, but he has given them no worse than an unwanted licking.
I wanted a dog that would play frisbee and ball with me. Well, that’s what retrievers do best.
BTW, My dog will be neutered in a few months, for health as well as ethical reasons. If you want to solve the problem of stray dogs, you need to focus on educating the idiots who get dogs whimsically, and then ditch them. Don’t punish responsible, informed dog lovers.

My girlfriend’s labs are healthy purebreds, too…

EXACTLY!!! EDUCATE TAIWANESE CHILDREN ABOUT THE HUMANE TREATMENT OF ANIMALS!!!
Sorry for shouting.
But who else is going to do this but those from the international community?
The Taiwan school system? Yeah, right…
The parents? maybe a very,small percentage…
The media? No, they’ll just show horrific images…
If you are around small children in Taiwan everyday, please find ways to reinforce this message. If possible, bring pets into class so they can develop emotional ties, make it an ongoing activity in your classes to discuss how to take care of pets/animals and why humans should appreciate them, discuss subjects such as having pets at home and how they should be handled and cared for.

This issue should have nothing to do with selling dogs except that those creeps at the markets make bundles off of the uneducated who in turn perpetuate the problem by tossing the dogs out once they pass the cute stage.

The chip implanted under the skin I think only happens in pet shops which sell pure breds. People who invest in pure bred animals will likely take more care in their treatment and handling because, [hello?] they paid a lot for them. And they use them often as, [this is Taiwan] status symbols.

It’s the mutts who need our help most. And the kids. The moron inbreds in the dog pound facilities need to be replaced by those with animal husbandry backgrounds and paid a good salary, and the government needs to take some real action on this issue rather than sending all the cops to nightclubs to round up “the evil marauding ecstacy crowd…” :x

Animal rights, Hartzell? Haven’t heard a peep outaya.

If you adopt a feral animal, then it will not be feral any more, so it will no longer be a menace to the native wildlife. Then all you have to fret about is the cows, sheep, chickens, fish etc. that have to be slaughtered to feed your pet.

And anyway, 3q, there is a big difference between local views on wildlife and those on strays.

Still a sad state of affairs, no mistake, but at least there now exist the seeds of a concept that wildlife needs to be protected. A long way to go, for sure, but at least a mechanism is being sloooooowly eased into place to try to preserve what little is left here, and at least there are some forward-thinking minds at work on the problems.

Not so for the strays – there’s just no “help” mindset. Instead, its regarded as a dirty, messy problem that needs to be “got rid of,” with only short-term, low-cost so-called “solutions” dreamed up by mouth-breathing city officials.

SAndman - I cant see it. The number of pet alligators in fish tanks I see in flower shops and the like - the ourangutangs in Yangmingshan, the massive government run zoo for illegally imported animals in Taichung… I could go on. A small minority of locals have an interest and an even smaller number could name native species. Still back home people are just as useless. It is ‘easier’ to care about pets than it is native animals… bah

Yeah, but you’re talking here about people keeping exotic animals, and that’s common everywhere in the world, probably even more so in “developed” countries – fueled by huge, multinational networks of smugglers and illegal breeders, and certainly not limited to “backward” countries.

Just today I did a story about some guy here caught in a sting here by conservationists. He was trying to sell them some kind of African pottoes, as well as binturongs – a kind of Southeast Asian creature belonging to the civet family.

A search on Google reveals that many people are keeping these endangered animals (well, the potto is, the binturong, apparently, is not – yet) but the overwhelming majority are in the U.S. and Europe, not Taiwan.

But the main point of my previous post is neatly illustrated by this story – that there exists a conservation protection group here with sufficient gumption and commitment to cooperate with customs and police in order to mount a sting operation.

Also, look at the photo of those martens on the front page of today’s China Post. Taken by a group of zoologists trying, I believe, to conduct some kind of census on wildlife in the mountains of Pingtung County, or maybe they’re searching for evidence of the clouded leopard, can’t remember for sure.

As I said, small steps, but steps in the right direction, at least.

It’s not that some of us don’t care about native wildlife; in all honesty I thought they’d eaten it all; everywhere we’ve been, we’ve seen signs about the wildlife that used to live in said place… except for the monkeys near Kaohsiung. It’s honestly a lack of awareness. Also, in fairness, though I certainly don’t care less for them for this reason, most of the animals you mention are illegally imported and therefore not native wildlife.

I guess it’s also that, as humans, we take a degree of responsibility for the wellbeing of dogs and cats, since to my knowledge neither are native to Taiwan, and so many are tame and obviously throwaways in a disposable culture. When my pup was still tiny, I took her to a class so the kids could handle her, and the way that 90% of people were with her, they were asking to be bitten; skittish, scampering away, teasing her. Those were the ones not plastered against the wall in fear of the 2kg beast!! By the end, several were handling her semi-properly, but then a couple of parents complained because dogs are “dirty” and have no place in a school, even a bushiban. Never mind that their own children are notorious for belching, foot picking and nosepicking in class. Thus is the Taiwanese logic and mentality, I suppose.

What really gets me is that the puppy kept all of her functions under control; their daughter has had a few “accidents” in class… hmmmmmm…

I should think dogs have been in Taiwan for at least as long as humans have, which is a very long time. There is a kind of dog called a Formosan or Taiwan native dog (Taiwan tugou,) which is a quite big, dark, speckled short-haired breed. They look rather like pitbull terriers. You can recognise them by the very prominent pads on their feet, which they evolved for running up and down Taiwan’s steep mountain slopes. Now that I have described them, you will see them around. There are one or two in a motorcycle repair shop at the junction of Xinsheng South Road Section 1 and Jinan Road. This breed has almost disappeared due to crossing with imported breeds, but some people are trying to recreate the breed by mating dogs that share the aforementioned basic characteristics. Your typical North Chinese dog is quite different - fluffy with a curled-up tail - a Chow (Zhougou), basically.

For Taiwan tugou photos, click here or here. Oh dear, some of those dawgs don’t look terribly friendly - Probably a reflection on their owners.

As to cats, if there were leopards in Taiwan, then I think there were probably cats, too.

What there really used to be a lot of in Taiwan was deer. Unfortunately they were slaughtered in very great numbers to make scabbards for Japanese samurai. The centre for the deerskin trade was Lugang in Zhanghua County.

Interesting links:
The Jane Goodall Institute, Taiwan. (This link is supposed to be the English part of the web site, but it is all in Chinese.)
Roots and Shoots in Asia (with Taiwan info, in English.)

Yeah, it would be nice if we could just satrt educating everyone to be nice to animals and it would all work out lovely, but the problem with stary cats and dogs is just too serious now and requires drastic action. Once things got ‘back to normal’ and we had a new generation of responsible pet keeprs, we could relax these drastic measures. I know there’s plenty of reasons for wanting pure-bred animals of the breed you want, but we’d have to sacrifice our preferences for the sake of the animals. To want otherwise is selfish.

This is hypothetical anyway, as I doubt t6he government will ever do anythign much, let alone as strict as what I would advocate.

Bri

I don’t see where there is a benefit to focusing on only purebred dogs; many people, myself included, prefer mixed breeds due to the mismanagement of breeding programs and problems produced due to unlicensed breeders trying to turn out more dogs for a profit. Needless to say, if a strictly-purebred system were implemented in Taiwan, it would be as unregulated and dysfunctional as most of the systems here, and the animals would suffer, due to genetic problems and human unwillingness to deal with the problems.

It is impossible to “cull” (read: beat to death) the dog population in Taiwan in any long term sense; as long as people here continue to think of dogs as disposable toys, they will be discarded and will breed litter after litter. We need a more grassroots solution: education. I think the only way the government will actually try to make a difference is if there is a lot of negative American (they like American stuff) publicity about the plight of animals here. A feature on 60 minutes or something…

I know it sounds like a pipe dream, but there has to be a more humane solution than killing the dogs, which, after all, are thinking, feeling individuals.

Dogs2work
Is such a thing possible in Taiwan? Thinkable, even?

Take Your Dog to Work Day

DogFriendly.com

I think the best to could get in Taiwan is Take Your Dog Home Day, where you let your dog out of the cage on the balcony and let it into your house.

There’s a joint on Heping E Rd. on the right hand side going west between Xinsheng and Jinshan… its a little coffee shop place that welcomes dogs and cats.

What about the rural areas in your own countries? I grew up in rural central California and we have a massive stray dog problem. The problem being city people dumping their dogs in the country and hoping they’ll go native. They don’t, they form packs and take down cattle and are eventually shot by ranchers, much to their chagrine (both ranchers and I assume, dogs). Just because you don’t see it, doesn

I used to take my dog to work all the time when she was younger and nobody objected except her – she got bored shitless.

What are you talking about? People take their dogs to work all the time here! My friend takes hers to the Internet Cafe where she works, there’s a 7-11 I know where the proprieter keeps hers…

Vorkosigan

I just came across a very interesting article describing successes and problems in dealing with dog overpopulation in the U.S.A. The article is rather long and includes numerous references to Taiwan.

Redefining pet overpopulation: The no-kill movement and the new jet setters

Due to the numerous gou rou can ting, this problem doesn’t exist in China.

what i really despise are people who buy exotic animals (ooh they are so cute, etc), then after a month or two, when they are bored with the pet, or the pet is no longer a cute little ‘kid’, they will just dump the animal somewhere, a garbage can if small, a dog-sized animal in the country, a large dangerous animal (like those numbnuts who buy tigers and think it’s cool or adds to their masculinity) they have to put down. of course this ‘fad’ just fuels the exotic animal trade, legal and illegal, even more.