Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Of course breeders will advocate the use of cages. That’s how they store them until they get a real home.

I PMed you, Maoman, out of concern and was polite as I recall. No need to be huffy. And the matter had nothing to do about cages.

By the way, the armchair advice may be such, but I’ve been around dogs, owned by the family and extended family and myself, for about 35 years.
I am not totally unfamiliar with the subject. Furthermore, keeping a dog in a cage seems to be fine. Thousands of Taiwanese do it all the time with their animals. It’s just not my style, is all.

Ni dong yige pi:unamused:

Four letters for you, Wolf -
MYOB
. :raspberry: Unsolicited advice is not usually welcome - especially from people ignorant in the area in which they are dispensing advice. :noway:

Shit, almost anyone who grew up in the suburbs could say the same. You obviously didn’t learn much.

See, I think you ARE unfamiliar with the subject, as you did not even know about crate-training - you had to have it spelled out for you. Anybody who knows even a little bit about training dogs would be familiar with the concept - you were not. And to further compare people who have successfully implemented crate-training with “thousands of Taiwanese who keep their dog in cages” shows just how ignorant you truly are in the subject.

Go scold somebody on a subject you know something about, because now you’re just pissing me off. :fatchance:

Our HAPPY dogs stay in their crates for about 7 hours everyday while we are at work. When it’s time for us to go they go in quite willingly. When we are home they chill out on our leather furniture. Anyone who says crating a dog is cruel or unusual is full of it. My dogs are very spoiled and very happy!

I thought PMs were for private correspondence. Would you be so defensive if I had sent you an unsolicited PM giving you some advice on how you could get to a certain travel destination by motorcycle? or a good mechanic?
Anyway, I have nothing more to say. I was expressing my opinion.

God, I hope that’s true. :unamused:

Any advice on what appears to be dog allergies? My two-year-old mixed breed PG (half golden so he’s very fluffy) has been getting really red skin (on and off) for the last six-eight months (so in cold weather AND humid). We cut anything suspicious out of his diet a long time ago (my other two dogs have milk, raw bones etc with no problem), PG has mainly dry food, vegetables and rice, and we’ve chopped and changed with all foods over the last six months and can’t pin it down to any food.

We’ve also tried him with different bedding material, taken up our cheap carpet even, used different disinfectants and floor cleaners and just about everything but to no avail!

My vet insists it’s food related, but we’ve tried him on and off just about everything in various combinations (only bones, only dry food, only vegetables etc etc) and he’s still red a lot of the time! His coat is fluffy and sleek and soft as we give them all fish oil - even took him off that for one month - still red! He’s had antihistamines, injections and other tablets from the vet, and they all get treated for fleas regularly so it’s not a flea allergy - used different sprays each time, no fleas, PG still red!.

I’m at my wit’s end! Unlike him, incidentally - PG isn’t bothered by the redness at all - he scratches a lot but he’s always happy - it just LOOKS like it’s really sore (all over his belly and flanks) - but he doesn’t seem to be in pain, or even irritated by it as much as he should.

I’m wondering whether it’s his liver (he went lame with what the vet said was distemper when he was eight months or so, but amazingly pulled through) and that perhaps I should take him to a Chinese herbalist!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wow! A distemper survivor! Could the allergy be down to the flora around the places where you walk your dog? I’ve identified a plant around my area that makes my pups eyes send water streaming down her face and she will itch for hours. you may also want to consider mosquitos-then again, it wouldnt be a problem in the winter, I guess.

How humid is your apartment? If it’s very humid, you should consider leaving the ac on while you’re at work…

Thanks for your reply! I hope your little pup has learned that she shouldn

[quote=“street dog”]You wouldn

Maoman: I’d LOVE to, but I have to fight my Taiwanese bf to get the AC on for me! But thanks for the suggestion - the dogs are in the (concrete) yard all day, with plenty of shade and a spot to sunbathe if need be, and in the AC whenever we’re home or inside. My boyfriend’s just suggested PG needs to be cooler and so he’s gonna get him shaved. His coat is definitely WAY to heavy for this country - I’ve just got skin and it’s too hot for me!

EDIT: I’ve used that No More Tears and it makes him fluffier and does seem to soothe a bit, but I’ve found one that has tea tree oil which keeps him from scratching so much for just a few more days each time. Smells a bit better for longer too… :wink: I give them all fish oil every day, and his actualy coat is thick and glossy but red in areas underneath, it’s just bizarre :s

No it wasn’t. The illness was quanwenre - that is Chinese for distemper.

犬溫熱

No it wasn’t. The illness was quanwenre - that is Chinese for distemper.

犬溫熱
[/quote]

:blush: Thanks for that! I’m reading the wrong column in PG’s “passport”! I’ll find out the name of the drug tonight…

If you’re feeding dry dog food, check if grain is a main ingredient; grain is believed to be the cause of several conditions in dogs as it’s not part of their natural diet - but it is a cheap filler for the dog-food companies.

Allergies such as your dogs skin condition are certainly linked to grain, so try forgoing any food with rice, etc. in and see what happens.

Personally, I think a natural diet is the best way to go. We’ve been feeding raw meat and bones and blended veg to our dogs for 18 months now and they don’t have any of the common dog problems such as skin disorders, bad breath, ‘dirty’ teeth, tear stains, etc. And they always smell good (unless they get wet) :slight_smile:

I have to add something to the crating debate here: in England, crating is frowned upon. We prefer to remove the hazrads and teach the animal how to behave rather than prevent it from learning from experience. Aren’t they easier to teach as pups? We pen pups until they’re about five to six weeks old, then they’re FREE :slight_smile:

We’ve lost cushions, paper, shoes, etc., but that was our fault. Now our three dogs have the run of the house when we’re not there, and the only problems that arise do so because of something we forgot to put away. I look at it as perfect practice for when we have kids!

I have to say I hate to see anything or anyone deprived of free movement for any length of time simply for my convenience.

But, as wolf would agree, each to his own, and no disrespect to those that do crate as I’m sure your dogs are happy, because they don’t know any different, of course.

Just my NT$2 worth.

Respectfully,

Stray (uncrated/uncaged) Dog

Just ran across this website for what seems like a good company. Worth a look if you have a dog or a couple.

On another note, look at these happy dogs:

Looks like fun, eh?

I was loooking for a place to vent about the dog situation here. There oght to be a special place in hell for some of the people here and what they do to animals. Someone wrote that the situation re: strays is probably worse outside Taipei. He’s correct. In Taoyuan, our largest park is Tiger Head Mountain. The place is just crawling with strays. I walk up there regularly with a dog lover who brings fod for some of the worst cases. You try what you can, but the problem is overwhelming. I adopted one little tugou cross and almost daily want to take home others.

I also want to cringe when I see the boxes with puppies and kittens in them for sale in the open air markets. People impulse buy pets and then adandon them in places like Tiger Head when they realize that pets take commitment and tend to grow up. In general, I’d say the Taiwanese sphere of morality does not extend around animals.

what i see taiwanese people doing to animals makes me want to find some way to help Beijing target their cruise missiles on the worst offending neighborhoods, and just sit back and wait for the attack to come… :smiling_imp: (i know china is no better when it comes to treating animals but their missiles are a means to an end)

i know what you mean… we’ve got one cat and one dog at home and 8 other dogs that were so close to starvation and or death by injury/disease that we had to rescue them and fix them up… they now live at my wife’s uncle’s farm…

target night markets will be prime targets for my missile strikes :smiling_imp:

I’d say the Taiwanese circle of morality does not extend past “me”… :fume:

Taiwan and the Taiwanese are getting much better with the treatment of dogs. Its true, generally however, that many dogs live quite charmed lives in places other than Taiwan. Look at this guy, for an example:

Most dogs in Taiwan could not even dream of such an outing.

[quote=“Tigerman”]Taiwan and the Taiwanese are getting much better with the treatment of dogs. Its true, generally however, that many dogs live quite charmed lives in places other than Taiwan. Look at this guy, for an example:

Most dogs in Taiwan could not even dream of such an outing.[/quote]
Caption: OK smartass, you enticed me into this big yellow thing using my favourite bacon strips. Now I’m out here… doing WHAT, exactly? You just wait. You are getting your shoe shit it tonight FOR SURE. And take that fucking camera out of my face. Humans! Sheesh!

[quote=“sandman”]
Caption: OK smartass, you enticed me into this big yellow thing using my favourite bacon strips. Now I’m out here… doing WHAT, exactly? You just wait. You are getting your shoe shit it tonight FOR SURE. And take that f***ing camera out of my face. Humans! Sheesh![/quote]

Ah, but, as it is, I happen to know that this particular dog very much enjoys swimming, and soon after this photograph was taken, this dog was happily dog paddling around in the pond.

Omni would be envious.