CCD vs. CMOS for digital photography

The new 5D looks sweet, if I ever make it to a full frame DSLR (and a couple of better lenses). The Tokyo video is nice done, great play with the depth of field, etc. would be interesting what or which lenses they used too.
Nice part with the cam on the front of the car, not sure if I would do that no matter how good it’s fixed there. Especially no way for that with the local traffic conditions. :slight_smile:

But than it wasnt theirs, just one Canon lend them for playing with it. :slight_smile:

yeah, it’s great that video, DOF, low light colour and shadows, even down res like it is… and Tokyo is an awesome city…

Lenses used are listed at 5:35 on the video:

14mm f2.8L
17-40mm f4L
50mm f1.4
90mm TS-E f2.8
135mm f2.8L

Thanks, didn’t watch it the whole way through yet.

Still interested how it stores the video, the tech features on the Canon site just refers to it as .mov files but no details about compression, etc.

Notice how the AGC didn’t bounce when the subway door opened… from clipped straight to correct exposure on the platform.

I also liked the fact they shot on the Keihin-Tohoku line, rather than Yamanote. Mostly workers, fewer shoppers, totally blase to being on camera… maybe because the subjects thought it was a still camera and the operator “wasn’t doing anything.”

The guy who made that Tokyo video has got to learn the value of using a tripod.

My throbbing desire to play around with shallow-DOF HD video to make artsy music video-esque clips is only modestly outweighed by the sticker shock (US$2700 camera, another US$2000-3000 for lenses)

To keep this on topic from the OP…here is Nikon’s sensor page with all kinds of info.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/d-technology/imagingsensor/index.htm

and some info on Hasselblad camera systems…This is pro stuff that is 35mm format and bigger. Prices for these systems are very high compared to what Canon and Nikon have out there…but the performance speaks for itself…

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/downloads/datasheets/h-system.aspx

see?.. that’s why a mere NT$85k for the Canon 5D MarkII is a steal, let alone NT$50k for the 5D Classic…

to beat the 5D’s image quality your only option is to buy one of these…

Hasselblad H3DII-50 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 80mm Lens

List price:
NT$1,124,000
(US$35,125) :loco:

oh, and you’ll still need to buy a separate 1080p HD video camera, for NT$50k… :laughing:

Michael Reichmann at Luminous Landscape has a comparison of the 'blad with P45 back and the newly released Canon G10 (NT$17000). Interesting reading.

Interesting story but in the end it always comes down to this part he said:

The lesson here, especially for newbies and amateurs (the pros have always understood this) is – stop fussing over each new camera’s image quality. Now, even sub-$1,000 cameras are able to produce exceptional image quality – likely far better than most photographers are able to execute. Buy high end gear if you need it or want it. But, don’t think that the better camera is going to make you a better photographer. As I’ve written before – most cameras are better than most photographers. This has always been true, and now simply more so than ever.

I guess I will safe the 40000 bucks US for the moment and wait till I am a better photographer, a far better one.

Here some info from Canon on the lenght of video clips you can take with the 5D MarkII:

Movie length: EOS 5D Mark II

The EOS 5D Mark II offers a full 1080 High Def movie function. The maximum size of a movie file created on the camera is limited to 4GB per clip - this will determine exactly how long a recording can be made. By setting it to a standard definition (SD) of 640x480 pixels, it will give you up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds continuous movie capture. When using a 4GB memory card in full 1920x1080 pixel High Def mode it will provide around 12 minutes of full HD resolution, depending on the content of the film, and 24 minutes in standard definition.

So it seems it just depands on the memory card you use and with the res of that camera I doubt you will have a 4GB card in there, them 21 Megapixel shots suck a bit storage.

[quote=“mingshah”]

Interesting story but in the end it always comes down to this part he said: But, don’t think that the better camera is going to make you a better photographer. [/quote]

Reminds me of an old saying that a golf pro once taught me: it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian.

since we’re dusting off anecdotes, another one about expensive cameras not equaling good photos is:

Still can’t help lusting after that 5D Mark II though… Already down to just NT$79,900… :astonished:

Main problem is that it is sold out till next year just with the pre-orderings. So might have to wait till it’s even cheaper. :wink:
I first upgraded some lenses now, so the 5D will be off at least for one year (if there is no dramatic change in things). At least I can use them lensos for the 5D than too. :smiley:

And yes, it’s still the indian shooting but at least he has a gun now and now lame arrow anymore. :wink: (and using digital is anyway more like a machine gun, aim in the right direction, hold it and one or two out of hundrets might even work out… :laughing: )

No choice for me, the D90 only comes with a CMOS sensor. :smiley:

Seriously though, I am not sure the normal consumer needs to worry about the differences and most brands use CMOS only in that segment. For pros it might be different.

Main problem is that it is sold out till next year just with the pre-orderings. So might have to wait till it’s even cheaper. :wink:[/quote]

I think that’s only in the US/Europe… In Taiwan there seem to be quite a few 5D2’s still up for grabs especially the EF24-105mm f4L kit version, almost 2 pages worth on Yahoo auctions still available for pre-order if your pockets are deep enough…

Pst, don’t distroy my excuse now, I am so blank after the 2 new lenses that I need something to get me over this at least one year waiting. Than again, when I finally have time to play with them now I will get lost there anyways as long there are no camera shops around but one day, one day, one day I might… :wink:

You may want to wait with Canon 5d mk2 until the “black dots” issue gets a resolution:
forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. … e=30287334

It looks like some internal value wrap around close to extreme highlights.
Some cameras are affected some not.