CCP spyware

I worked at a farmer’s market all through high school and college (uni) and we only accepted cash. Some vendors had the card swipe thing on their phones, but most did not. Made people annoyed, but die-hard farmer’s market go-ers knew to bring lots of small bills if they were going to the market. Prices would always be rounded to the .00/.25/.50/.75 for simplification purposes. As of this past summer, it’s the same. Actually, I see more and more vendors who canceleld their card swiping because the 2% or whatever they charge was cutting too much into their bottom line. I wonder if Venmo would fix things.

Actually, now that I’ve brought up Venmo, it doesn’t work in Taiwan and I therefore don’t have it. Got my hair and makeup done for my sister’s wedding. “Oh you can just Venmo the payment to me”. “Can I hand you a hundred dollar bill and call it a day?” horror on stylist’s face at thought of handling a piece of paper with such value

Wechat is for chatting to Chinese companies, colleagues and clients, which a lot of business in Taiwan requires

1 Like

Cowtowing to chinese companies is always a BAD idea. I get the draw. But its not worth it. I have lost business as well because i refuse to use it. I tell them to either call, email, download signal and use vpn or figure out another way. If i have to download a ccp app on my phone, quite frankly they can fuck right off…it does hurt less overall, long term even if it is hard in the beginning.

@nz. Sounds like you are talking about western style countries where crime is also a big problem. In cities in north america even big shops with security glass, barred windows and cameras everywhere advertise the fact they have less thab say0 100 dollars in the till. Very telling of how messed up their society is. That all said, digital theft, fraud etc is far more of a problem than random vendors or gas stations being robbed. Nevermind the absolute control the authorities would have over you. I like to use the examples of other countries so western sheep who care about humans can more easily see it. Cause they sure as hell never will admit it is possible to happen to them or their country.

Imagine a fairly rich country like Saudi Arabia. A country that all the western leaders play nice with. Now imagine they go cashless. Now imagine they found out you are gay. After being arrested, what does nearly every country in the world do to your passport and bank accounts? Freeze them. If all your money is digital they can do this on a whim anytime.

That wont happen they say. Not for being gay. Not in my country. Etc etc.

One thing people dont think about, and in places lime taiwan hey REALLY should, is that laws change with the government. Loom at trump. Rigbt or wrong, look at how many things he backed out of. The friggen environmental agreement which has nothing to do with human rights and just about clean air…

People ought to ponder this a bit and think in 100+ year timelines then think about the past 100 years of different governments and ask themselves: should i lose 100% control over my monetary wealth and let future unknown strangers have power over it? Probably will be pretty fucking stupid when we look bak in 50 years…too late then. Time is now. Worth thinking about.

I lost my Debit card and as my banks in UK replacement card sent to my UK address they would not send to Taiwan because mail on temporary freeze.
so now having to use Apple pay, thankfully more and more stores using it but I don’t know of any way to get cash using Apple Pay? I need to pay rent cash.
Another story about reporting loss at Yonghe Police station what a pallava.

Why not use a separate phone for that purpose?

do. I think a lot of taiwanese business people do. It is easy to buy a sim card from a foreigner leaving taiwan and just keep paying the bill. But it isnt something we can really talk about. Lets just say the foreign laborers are revolvig doors which is horrendous. But if they are leavinf and you give them 1000 for their sim, everyone is happy. Those bosses who pay 500, or less, are just dicks.

Ps. Still better not to cowtow to them. Having a burner phone on standby is good, but still better to talk with them and help them realize the issue. That said i have totally cut off doing business with China, morally just cannot justify it anymore.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have that much tractability. I’d buy a tourist internet-only sim which is unregistered to a name.

Didnt even know that was allowed in taiwan. You mean like a voip?

The tourist sim cards are normally tied to a passport no? Here i am not sure but when i am overseas getting a card they always require a passport or local id.

Not related to the thread but how we handled this situation before was to create an account to Revolut (or other online bank). Revolut promises to send a card anywhere in the world in two days. Then doing SEPA transfers to the online bank from a real bank account and using that card to get cash.

Yes bit of topic. Thanks giving it a go. I recently opened a account using Starling Bank fantastic no charges for withdrawals or other transactions abroad but can’t get a card to me because of UK Suspension and won’t do it using DHL.

Revolut won’t post to Taiwan or accept Taiwan address. :slightly_frowning_face:

Yeah, it looks like account creation needs to be done against a European address before they can send a card to this direction :confused:

I used UK address so that was fine, but delivering card here was a NO!
Same problem I use my sisters address she can post to me, one Starling Bank new account card is being held at a location en route somewhere in UK, card I just lost replacement will be going to her address.

Hmm, that’s unfortunate then. Clicking through the app it does lets me order a replacement card to Taiwan. (At least the last step before the payment)

Well its not Kowtowing is it? Its communicating. Most white collar workers in Taiwan will have Wechat on their phone and its one of the most downloaded apps in the country. I also have really good friends in China that I would not be able to communicate with otherwise. I cannot do my job without Wehchat and I am sure A LOT of people in Taiwan are in the same situation

I hope cash disappears from the world in next 25 years

Yes yes. But not my point. It is convenient, it not required. Ask them why and see their answer. It is bending over to cbinese business/government as people here tend to use line within taiwan and use wechat with international trade, namely with (or in cooperation with) china. If there is one thing business men can understand it is privacy and not letting “them” in on your conversation. That alone is often enough to persuade them as they shouldnt want being compromised either. In this sense i do view it as kowtowing as it is opening up your security because of fear of having a 10 minute discussion.

I find it annoying watching people advertise how many containers a month they have of ____ and they say contact on wechat. Its like havin a po box as your company address. I dont trust a single person coming off as non professional as that and they lose a lot of business and respect. Its like legitimate multinational business is now considered normal in facebook groups…it isnt and shouldnt be in the future. Not sure what people are thinking.

Isnt it zoom getting in trouble now?

Rewind, rebrand and repeat. The 3 Rs of the retarded (by china) world.

Im happy you have this luxury. Like i said, I cant do a lot of what I do without it.

Really sucks in those situations. But still easy to have conversations and plant seeda. As mentioned above, maybe consider another phone with another sim card not pinned to your name.

My Wechat is linked to my phone number. Would be a total pain to move connections. I also use Wechat everyday and dont want to carry two phones around