[CCRD] CCRD and Permanent Residence

I have been living and working in Taiwan with a valid ARC for ten years now and have been married to a Taiwan national for six years. I have heard that it is possible to get permanent residence status, but I do not know how to do this. Any ideas?

There is something called a CCRD. What is that?

You can get full details on applying for Permanent Residence at the Foreign Affairs Department of your local Police Station, where you get your ARC renewed.

You should read over the regulations carefully. There may be various stipulations which the Police are actually interpreting differently from what the law says. If you experience any difficulties, then you should contact me for assistance.

In general, the most difficult and time consuming piece of documentation which you will have to produce is a “Clean Criminal Record Documentation” from your home country, valid for the last five years or so. This CCRD must also be certified by the nearest ROC Overseas Office, and then verified by the MOFA when you get it back here in Taiwan.

The other paperwork and documentation which you will need is fairly routine, and can be completed here in Taiwan.

quote:
Originally posted by Hartzell: [b] In general, the most difficult and time consuming piece of documentation which you will have to produce is a "Clean Criminal Record Documentation" from your home country, valid for the last five years or so. This CCRD must also be certified by the nearest ROC Overseas Office, and then verified by the MOFA when you get it back here in Taiwan. [/b]

I went to a lot of trouble to jump through that hoop when I first got my ARC, several years ago. But now that I’m about to apply for permanent residence, the Taipei County police told me that I have to get another CCRD. Can this be correct? Anyway, I’ve been living in Taiwan, not abroad, since I last submitted that ridiculous form, so what good would another one do?

Thanks, R.H., for all your good work.

When I applied for an ARC as a foreign spouse, I obtained an official print out of my entry and exits into Taiwan. When I presented this at the police station in Shimen, they accepted that as I had spent most of the last 5 years in taiwan as a “visitor”, then the police report from the Taiwan police was sufficient.

The longest period for which an ARC is issued is three years. By comparison, an APRC which signifies that the holder has obtained permanent residency, has no expiry date.

What is the nature of the Clean Criminal Record Documentation?

Does the requirement mean that if you have been convicted of a crime in your home country in the past, even a misdemeanor, you will be denied a work visa? Or is it to show that you have no outstanding criminal proceedures against you?

thanks for your replies.

A Clean Criminal Record Documentation (from the foreigner’s home country) is needed in order to meet the application requirements for residency or permanent residency in Taiwan.

Most people who have completed those residency application procedures in Taiwan can tell you that obtaining this document, and having it certified at the nearest ROC overseas office, then re-certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan, is a very time consuming affair. Obviously, if you can coordinate the application for this CCRD with one of your periodic “home visits” to see Mommy, Daddy, etc., that will enable you to eliminate some of the hassle of doing everything by mail or by DHL.

Before I can answer your question, a slight clarification needs to be made. In speaking of laws, please remember that there are three rough divisions: criminal law, civil law, and administrative law.

The specifications for a CCRD are in Article 41 of the Implementing Regulations for the Immigration Law, here in the ROC. That Article says that for a CCRD to be acceptable, it should not show any “criminal convictions” in the last five years.

Hence, according to that definition, any civil or administrative convictions are not relevant to proving your status as “a good citizen”.

How exactly does one go about getting a CCRD in the US? As there is no NPA, but just local Police Departments, should I have someone at home go into my suburban PD and ask for a document certifying that I’ve committed no criminal offenses in the past five years? Or do I need to be there? Then take that to the nearest ROC ‘trade office’ for certification? It’s quite hazy what form this document might take, or be referred to as.
Second, I’ve been in Taiwan all but a week-ten days for the last ten years, so is there anyway to convince local authorities that I’ve had too little time out of Taiwan to commit nefarious acts? And when you say ‘incredibly time-consuming’,what is the time framework?
6 weeks? 3 months? Any Americans with experience on this? Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

See details in the “CCRD (Police Report)?” thread at
http://oriented.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=29&t=000049