CDs you can't live without?

Music means a looooooooot to me and gives me tons of happiness and different kinds of inspiration when I draw or paint or just wanna be creative.

One of my secret wishes is to create cool chillout house music some day, haha. :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:

Like many others, my taste in music is eclectic and I’m open to any type of new sound.

I have been into
operas - lyric/bel canto/coloratura, house, Cafe del Mar, down tempo, trance (dark, intelligent), garage, D&B, breakbeat, jungle, trip hop, jazz (vocal, latin, acid), bossa nova, electronic, psychidelic, rock (punk, hard, modern, alternative), experimental, metal (heavy, thrash, speed), Cantonese opera, Peking opera, etc.

Any new sounds or cool CDs you guys wanna recommend and share with others???

The following is the list of CDs I would love to take…if I am stranded on an island :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley:.

Cafe del Mar vol 4, 5, 7
Miguel Migs - Nude dimensions Vol 3
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005Q6MT/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/104-8716583-9338362?v=glance&s=music&vi=customer-reviews
Buddha bar Vol 2, 3, 5
Paradisiac Vol 2
Mandalay - Empathy
Enya - A day without rain
Madonna - Ray of Light
Paul van Dyk - Out there and back
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004TLYL/qid=1055928869/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-8716583-9338362?v=glance&s=music
Sasha - Airdrawndagger, Global Underground Ibiza
Laurent Garnier - Shot in the Dark
Fatboy Slim - Live at Brighton beach
Coldplay - A rush of blood to the head, Parachute
Modjo- Modjo
Moby - songs 1993-1998
Shibuya Kei - Beautiful
dzihan & kamien - Freaks and icons
Vanessa Mae - Subject to change
Radiohead - Kid A, The bends
Enigma - MCMXC A.D. , The Cross of Changes
Depeche Mode - Exciter, Music for the masses
David Gray - White Ladder
Sade - Lovers’ Rock
Patricia Kaas - The best of 1987 - 2001, Piano bar
Robbie Williams - Sing when you are winning
Run Lola Run OST
Ninth Gate OST
Matrix 1 OST

Sumi Jo - The Art of Sumi Jo
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000009OUB/qid=1055928687/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-8716583-9338362
Carnegie hall Live, La Promessa, Les Contes d’Hoffmann, Tancredi, Le Domino Noir, Les Bijoux, Die Frau ohne Schatten, Bel Canto album, Carmina Burana,
Sumi Jo sings Mozart
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005E4M/qid=1055928687/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/104-8716583-9338362?v=glance&s=classical
, etc

Lisa Ono - Questa Bossa Mia
Laura Figi - The Latin Touch
DJ Soul Slinger - Ecosystem-Brazilian joint
Pure Drum and Bass
http://www.jungleravers.com/news/purednb/index.htm

Breakbeat Era - Ultraobscene
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003Q4ID/qid=1055929025/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/104-8716583-9338362?v=glance&s=music
DJ Dara - Vol 1, Renegade Continuum
Diesel Boy - The 6ixth session
DJ Marky - The Brazilian job
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005YKB8/qid=1055929721/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-8716583-9338362?v=glance&s=music
Teebee -Deeper Side of Drum & Bass

…The list goes on and on, ahhhh.
No music, no life!!! :wink:

If you choose only one or two CDs you can’t live without?

Mine would be

1: Korean coloratura soprano, Sumi Jo’s “The Art of Sumi Jo”.

The late Karayan described her voice as the kind of voice we could meet once in a century. Her technique is superhuman.

2: DJ Marky - The Brazilian job

The first CD that introduced me to the insanely groovy world of Drum & Bass.

If I Should Fall From Grace With God - The Pogues
Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix
Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company
Wheels of Fire - Cream
Mr. Fantasy - Traffic
Music for Airports - Eno
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown -Arthur Brown
Ummagumma- Pink Floyd
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
Night of a Thousand Candles - The Men They Couldn’t Hang

blueface666, I also adore Pink Floyd’s “Ummagumma” (although I have no idea what the title means)!
At first I experienced the song, “Astronomy Domine” at a music cafe called Extra. After repeated listening, I was really hooked by the album…a little bizarre, cultish, psychidelic, and kind of dark. It’s an AWESOME album :shock: .

Lou Reed’s Transformer
The essence of cool.

The question you ask is a good one … the Desert Island Discs concept of 10 CDs is too easy. Two really forces you to think!

Keep in mind that my two “can’t live without” CDs would have been much different five years ago (probably Weezer and something by XTC), and will change five years from now. But currrently, the discs would be:

Mikhail Pletniv Live At Carnegie Hall (classical piano) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056PRG/qid=1055944702/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6522175-5583918?v=glance&s=classical)

and

KCRW Sounds Eclectic (live alternative compilation) (http://soundseclectic.com/cd/cd.html)

I am very interested in checking out DJ Marky and Ummagumma. I know little of drum and bass (but would like to hear more) and I am a loyal Floyd fan (Meddle is my favorite), but there a few gaps in my collection …

Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Erukah Badu - Live
Gomez - Liquid Skin
Gomez - Bring It On (while I own every album they have done, these two are by far their best)
Aerosmith - Anthology
Poe - Hello
Steely Dan - The Best of Steely Dan
Zap Mama - Sabylsma (A Ma Zone is also great)
Ana Caram - Bossa Nova
Radiohead - OK Computer

and my guilty pleasure: the soundtrack from Xanadu…don’t tell anyone. :blush:

I could live without them since I have already ripped them onto my media player, but if I had to, I think I couldn’t live without Eric Clapton Unplugged and dammit…can’t I have both of the Gomez CDs I like as one choice?

Well now most of you have cheated: you can only take 1!

I’d opt for classical and take Mahler’s 3rd.

Okay then, Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto by…I forget, but it is simply the most beautiful music out there. I forget who said it, but I will paraphrase here…

“Mozart’s music isn’t composed…it’s created.”

Grayfolded

… sounds like Grateful Dead… the guy took over 100 different live recordings of the Grateful Dead performing “Dark Star” (the very essence of the Grateful Dead expressed musically) and folded them onto and over each other to produce a version of “Dark Star” that needs two CDs to contain it. Its absolutely mind blowing.

This is one of the coolest recording works I’ve ever heard.

[quote]John Oswald’s instrument is technology - analog and digital editing. His “revised performances,” created from existing works, often make wry commentaries on the content of the source material. He makes some interesting points about how we hear and listen to music. Oswald calls the genre that creates new works from existing sonic materials plunderphonics. The moniker comes from a paper he gave to the Wired Society Electro-Acoustic Conference in Toronto in 1985, titled “Plunderphonics, or audio piracy as a compositional prerogative.”

…

Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh, a fan of Plunderphonic, persuaded his bandmates to let Oswald into the band’s archives to collect materials for an hour-long plunderphonic called Gray Folded. It encompasses 25 years of live performances of the Grateful Dead’s improvisational mainstay, “Dark Star.”

Consisting mostly of stereo tapes from live performances, plus a few solo instrumental and vocal passages from multitrack concert recordings, “Transitive Axis” (the first half of Gray Folded; the conclusion is in the works) is very definitely a John Oswald composition and not a composite performance. It’s a Tralfamadorian recap of the entire history of “Dark Star,” freely interposing and intertwining episodes from Grateful Dead performances. “It’s not a performably possible version of ‘Dark Star,’” Oswald notes. “You can’t have three generations of Jerry Garcias live on stage together - but there’s this illusion of it being the Grateful Dead playing in concert.”

Oswald listened to more than a hundred performances of “Dark Star,” which is not as boring as it might seem to the uninitiated. “Dark Star” is the merest structure of a song, which the Dead have used as a framework for insanely varied improvisational flights.

It was the perfect subject matter for Oswald’s experiment, offering a vast range of possibilities with a consistent set of musical touchstones as anchor points. “There’s always something that hadn’t happened before in ‘Dark Stars.’ I focused on the things that made a particular performance noticeably different from all of the other performances. I knew fairly early on that I’d be trying to make this Dark Star that focused on the exceptions rather than the rules.”

As the best of the real-time versions of “Dark Star” have done over the years, “Transitive Axis” turns some interesting corners and traverses a multifarious musical universe; it’s an audio mural depicting the most challenging regions of the Grateful Dead’s musical frontier. “I’ve made a very unorthodox Dark Star,” says Oswald, “but I haven’t tried to submerge the performances under a lot of technique. I’ve tried to let the performances still speak for themselves.” Oswald is at work on the concluding installment of Gray Folded, to be titled “Mirror Ashes.”[/quote]

And I’d cheat and take Exile on Main Street too.

Essential

Pavement - Terror Twilight
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes
Cardiacs - Sing to God, Guns
Can - Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, Future Days
Television - Best of Television
Beatles - 1967-70
Anything and everything by Beethoven and Mozart
Turkish and Indian music (actual names of CDs don’t come to mind)

Today’s answer would be

COLDPLAY - A rush of blood to the head
RADIOHEAD - Kid A

But it could be different tomorrow, or next week.

Kind of Blue
London Calling
Bueno Vista Social CLub
Exile on Main Street
White Album
Quadrophenia
Traneing In
I Do Not Play No Rock and Roll

This is silly – I have more than 3,000 CDs, every one of which is outstanding. I can’t choose betweeen them.

[quote=“tigerman”]Grayfolded

… sounds like Grateful Dead… the guy took over 100 different live recordings of the Grateful Dead performing “Dark Star” (the very essence of the Grateful Dead expressed musically) and folded them onto and over each other to produce a version of “Dark Star” that needs two CDs to contain it. Its absolutely mind blowing.

This is one of the coolest recording works I’ve ever heard. [/quote]

Sounds cool! I’ll have to look for that!

my pick would be anything by

• Seb Fontaine
  • Ferry Corsten
  • Tiesto
  • Deep Dish
    But I left all these back home… :frowning:
    I don’t have a computer nor a CD burner here…sooooooooooooooooo anyone have these that I can borrow?? :unamused:
    Thanks - MiakaW

Coooool choices! Will check out the recommended music when I have time. I’m gonna head for Frankfurt tomorrow evening and will :blush: miss lurking around forumosa for a while, hehe…Happy listening, guys!! :smiley:

Mine would have to be the self-titled album, “CD Lens Cleaner.”

Christ there’s a lot of hippies around here.

Two then:

Saint Etienne : Finnisterre
Bic Runga : Drive

Brian

I heard Pletnev play exactly the same set live here in Taipei a couple of years ago. Electrifying. I’ve heard him live two times and even got to shake his hand and say hello. An amazing pianist – and a helluva good conductor, too. (I also hear that his own compositions are good; but I haven’t heard any of those.)

My own two desert-island choices would be at this particular moment More Songs About Buildings and Food, by the Talking Heads, and the John Eliot Gardiner recording of Bach’s St. John Passion.

Top ten desert island disks (without artist repeats and with only one disk from double/triple albums) off the top of my head would be:

Frank Sinatra