CDs you can't live without?

Led Zeppelin - Remasters

Peter Gabriel - Security
Fantastic top to bottom from an underappreciated pioneer. The fella with two old genesis cd’s on his list may give ol Pete some props though.

#1 Iron Butterfly. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

You haven’t forgotten the lyrics have you?

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, honey,
don’t you know that I love you?
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby,
don’t you know that I’ll always be true?

Oh, won’t you come with me and take my hand?
Oh, won’t you come with me and walk this land?
Please take my hand!
-Repeat-
~solos~
-Repeat-
-Repeat-
-Repeat-
-Repeat-

Amazon.com sums it up pretty well:
"Reportedly composed by keyboardist/lead singer Doug Ingle in such a stoned-out, numb-tongued condition that he couldn’t properly pronounce its intended title–“In the Garden of Eden”–the track seemed almost a parody of every excessive inclination of psychedelia. Melodramatic vocals, repetitive riffing, aimless solos–you name it, this 17-minute behemoth had it. "

#2 David Cassidy and the Partridge Family: The Definitive Collection
All of you PF fans have got to have this.

err, well, maybe not.

Actually I think I would just close my eyes and grab anything from my old crate of LPs - they were all great: Stones, Beatles, The Who. Moody Blues, Robin Trower, Chick Corea, Bob Marley and on and on …

Apart from Astral Weeks, probably Harvest - Neil Young

My first choice would be the CD that’s the source of my user name. Track #18 to be specific. Guanxi to whomever guesses the band and CD.

Clue #2: Another good choice of mine would be the Replacements’ Pleased To Meet Me. Note the title of Track #2 on that disc.

Clue #3: That '70s Show theme song (cover)

Big Star/Radio city. I’ve spent a lot of time in Memphis.

I’ve never traveled too far without a little Big Star.

Others:

Pleased To Meet Me - the Replacements (or Tim, or Let It Be - hard to choose between those three)
The Kink Kronikles
Nuggets
Raw Power - Iggy & the Stooges. For those times when only the most violently insane rock will do.
Under the Bushes, Under the Stars - Guided By Voices
Atlantic Rhythm & Blues 1947-1974 Vol. 5 & 6 (the only ones I have, and they’re fan-f***tastic - Aretha, Otis, Pickett, Sam & Dave, all the giants)
Al Green - The Belle Album. Or a decent greatest hits comp. Gifted with the greatest voice God bestowed to man.
The Clash - either London Calling or the debut.
Under the Bridges - Sloan. All of their albums are equally good, though.
I’d pick a Beatles album but then I realized that, like most people, I have all their tunes memorized by heart.
The Jam - Snap!

The problem with these lists is there’s no way to narrow it down to a mere 10 CDs. And going by the “only one album per artist” rule…how am I going to decide between all the good Byrds, Bowie, Springsteen, R.E.M., Beach Boys, Pavement, Dylan, Elvis Costello…etc. albums? So hard to decide which one!

And oh yeah, the Flying Burrito Bros.’ Gilded Palace of Sin. Country music doesn’t get much better than that.

On edit: forgot Louis Jordan. Always got to have some of him around - let the good times roll. A decent comp of Louis & his Hot Five. Ain’t nobody here but us chickens.

The Move. Cheap Trick. Husker Du. X. The Buzzcocks. Fountains of Wayne. Good power-pop does a good boy good.

I have the whole set of eight. It is one of the best musical compilations ever put together. I listen to it as much as anything I have. You should definitely get the whole set, especially #7.

I also have to have Junior Kimbrough “Sad Days, Lonely Nights,” Tupac “U Can’t See Me”, Les McCann “Talkin’Verve” and Keith Jarret Live at the Blue Note (6 discs). I would be pretty happy with just these cds for quite some time.

and Tom Waits’ Small Change and Nighthawks at the Diner. And Heart of Saturday Night. And…

Massive Attack - protection
DJ Shadow - endtroducing

Currently I’m having a halcyon moment with Kate Bush.

Just as well as I just hit the beast’s number. Perhaps I shouldn’t have tortured Fomosa so. :?

Kye Eunsook or Kay Yunsook?

You won’t know her, you filthy ignoramuses. :shock:

A Korean lady, a former model, now top enka music in Japan.

Seems only the Japanese have a good time these days… :frowning:

I’m listening to the 2001 compilation. :sunglasses:

The 2002 compilation is coming my way.

And there’s one Japanese guy too, but his name eludes me right now.

I’ll be back. Can’t let you down, can I?

EB

members.jcom.home.ne.jp/nsekita3 … /keybs.htm
members.jcom.home.ne.jp/nsekita3 … ok/kye.htm

“Organic Dance Didjeridu” by Resonance.

Bervelly Jo Scott – Mudcake

What happened to her?

EB

Big Star, The Replacements, The Jam…Damn, Mod Lang, that reads like my Friday night set list!

My own can’t-live-without-it list would include:

Double Nickles on the Dime–The Minutemen
Zen Arcade–Husker Du
The Velvet Underground and Nico–The Velvet Underground
Giant Steps–John Coltrane
Tim–The Replacements
Singles Going Steady–The Buzzcocks
Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones–Tom Waits
Los Angeles–X
Hunky Dory-David Bowie
Fun House–The Stooges

Bought Stevie Wonder - “The Definitive Collection” a few days ago and feel that I got a large amount of JAM! for my Taiwan Dollar.

Stevie Wonder is one of the few pop musicians whom the term “genius” is actually appropriate. All of his '70s albums are amazing. And you know he played all the instruments on many of his records?

Stevie rocks…
Which reminds me of the old saw:
God is love,
And love is blind,
And Stevie Wonder is blind,
Therefore Stevie Wonder is God. :sunglasses:

Good news for music consumers. At least one company has come to the realization that 99% of the rest of us have known for years - CDs are way, way overpriced. Hopefully this will be the start of a trend.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3079854.stm

Listening to Toad the Wet Sprocket – Dulcinea – good stuff.