Cell phone battery runs down quickly

But if you usually use wifi at home, charging should be pretty easy… probably easier than turning on and off and on and off the cellular signal which also has the disadvantage of cutting off your phone number connection on the off chance that mattere…

Yeah true…

1 Like

Turning down brightness to low when inside helps - but when you head outside, it is always a pin to turn back up. Btw, I am not a fan of auto-adjust brightness.

I live in Taipei Zhong Shan District but I can get down to Gwang Hua area very quickly too. Any place in those areas is convenient for me to get battery replacement

I use WiFi when at home. Mobile data when outside. Never have them both on at same time.

As another person noted, when sleeping, turn off WiFi on smartphone (and even laptop/desktop). No need for it to use “energy” to continually transmit data back and forth over the Internet. Also, as someone said, close down all windows, too. Just have it blank screen of time/weather, when clicking side-button to turn screen on.
Some smartphones do not recommend keeping plugged in when at 100%.
I’ve found with an iPhone 7 (or 8), that if it’s continually searching for a WiFi (like when walking around about town), the battery drops really quick. Meaning, it feels like it exudes a lot of battery energy to continuously search for some WiFi that it recognizes and can latch onto, but is not finding. So, it keeps on searching and searching (draining battery). If I know I’ll be out and won’t be catching any known WiFi spots, then I’ll just turn off WiFi and it keeps battery level near full amount.
Anyway, :2cents:

I do turn wifi off at night. In fact it was suggested to turn phone off which I did tonight. I also never turn wifi on when outside. I use mobile data.

1 Like

I would vote for yes. Lithium Battery don’t have the “memory effect” some other batteries do (i.e. they don’t reduce their capacity if being charged while not being fully depleted first) . They age mostly based on the cycle count - so not using the battery (either by charging the phone without charging the battery or by turning it off) should be best for lifetime.

Most devices with lithium batteries should automatically stop charging once the battery is (almost) fully charged. So overcharging should not be an issue - unless dealing with a very cheap device maybe.

When you wait to charge your phone longer, you will deplete the battery even more (i.e. using more “cycles”) when the phone could already stop using the battery!

On the other hand, slower charging is generally preferable. Some Apple devices automatically charge slower at night based on usage patterns (“optimized charging”).

Many devices won’t start charging unless the charge level is less than maybe 95% (but still show 100% charge sometimes). Apple devices do that - and many Lenovo laptops also do that (some even allow adjusting the behaviour in the BIOS).

Wifi should use less energy than mobile data most of the times.

On the other hand, turning off bluetooth and wifi manually might only have a very minor effect. Modern versions of bluetooth use basically no energy when not in use (even when still “turned on”).

…which might actually be bad for the battery if your phone runs hot during reboot and you do that every day. YMMV.

1 Like

Li ion batteries hate being completely degraded before being recharged. You will notice a difference if you do that all the time.

The odd time I doubt it matters.

No I do this habitually.

I’ll look into this.

Guy

This morning my battery lost 40% in less than two hours. So I need to either try to find place to replace battery or buy new one.

Most cell phone repair places can do it, unless it’s an iphone (they sign each component to each phone so replacing them breaks it)

This is definitely a faulty battery or in some rare cases, the main board has become defective causing your battery to drain super fast. I had a Samsung Galaxy S6 which had the same problem…used it for about 5 years with no problems (bought it second hand but it was almost new) and then the battery started draining faster than I can browse Forumosa. I changed batteries 3 times & each time it lasted for about 2~3 mths and then the same problem starts rearing its ugly head again. At 900 bucks a pop for a new battery (2700 total), I decided it was not worth it (the shop also advised me not to repair it anymore since this might be a board problem) and bought a brand new S10+. Now, more than 2 years later, my S10+ is still going strong. I start with a full charge (100%), go to work, return at 6pm and the battery still has 60~70% remaining. I dont use it much at work though, just browse FB, the flob, LINE, receiving text msgs etc. I have Wifi & bluetooth enabled all day and a lot of background apps running in the background (FB, Forumosa, CNN, Shopee, LINE, Watsapp and have chrome opened with 12 pages running. Did you buy your cell brand new or second hand?

Bought new. August 2020

The whole lawsuit was about Apple doing literally the opposite of this. They were throttling performance of older phones to make batteries last longer.

Now they give you a choice of performance or battery life, and they tell you about the battery health and when you’d benefit from replacement.

To @srs1 I assume Android also has some sort of battery health indicator in the settings menu. Two years old it can have a lot of charge/discharge cycles and simply lose capacity.

You can also try just turning the phone totally off, then on again. It’s possible that some software bug, memory leak etc is causing a fast drain.

I disagree with what others say about turning Wifi, Bluetooth etc off. A smart, modern operating system should do all of this for you. Same with “strategic” charging. The latest iPhones already incorporate smarter charging by learning when you usually charge and when you usually use the phone. So it will hold off hitting 100% until just before you wake up and start using the phone.

3 Likes

OK, I think I have identified the problem here. :rofl:

Guy

If you use the phone a lot it’s not uncommon for a battery to die that quickly. My wife and I changed our phones around the same time. Her battery is dying and mine is fine as I hardly use it - I charge it every 2-3 days.

Most of the phone shops you see selling covers and accessories can replace batteries. The place we go to is in songshan, so not close to you.

Phones literally already do that in their definitions of what 100% and 0% mean - 100% isn’t fully full and 0% isn’t fully empty.

1 Like

5G makes my phone battery drain in a day.

Some suggestions:

• Close apps that drain battery (Like FB , IG , Messanger apps )
  • Turn on Dark Mode
  • Turn off most of the notifications
  • Turn off location services (Restrict location access for some Apps)
  • Don’t wake screen for notification
  • Lock device after 15 seconds of inactivity
  • Don’t allow apps to autostart

more info

2 Likes