Cell phone battery - what's normal?

I have a Nokia back-up phone. Odd battery problems. Troubleshooting them now. I’m trying to determine if the battery itself is bad. Symptoms are that it will, at any stage less than a full charge, automatically terminate calls after about 15 seconds, and shut itself down. Sometimes the phone displays a “low battery” message just before it shuts down. However, I can turn the phone back on, and it has enough battery power to stay on again for hours. However, if I make or receive another call, the same 15 limit thing happens.

Two questions please:

1. Is it normal for cell phone batteries, near the end of their charge, to have enough power for extended “on” time, but not enough power to sustain a phone call?

2. I have never experienced a cell phone shutting itself down due to a low charge, unless it was totally out of power, in which case, it could not be powered up again without charging. Is this auto-shut off thing ever normal?

Thanks.

I’ve been told that the older batteries have a memory and if you don’t charge them to the end, you’ll always have problems after that.

My advice is for you to buy two new batteries and charge the phone and the second battery simultaneously. That way you have a back up. You can buy a plastic container for the extra battery at phone stores.

I came across this contraption while checking for an answer to your question. It looks like a device that uses a normal AA battery to power your phone. Could come in handy in emergencies. Wherever there’s a 7-11, there’s power.

[/img]

[quote=“Rinkals”]I’ve been told that the older batteries have a memory and if you don’t charge them to the end, you’ll always have problems after that.

My advice is for you to buy two new batteries and charge the phone and the second battery simultaneously. That way you have a back up. You can buy a plastic container for the extra battery at phone stores.[/quote]
Right, except these batteries are of the type lithium ion, which supposedly cannot develop those memory problems.

Dunno if it’s normal for all phones or all battery types, but I have experienced this with a Nokia. However, I rarely let it run down that far; now I just recharge it nightly, and the problem doesn’t recur.

My Nokia has done that; and I can turn it back on for a couple hours, but it won’t have enough power to take or make calls.

Have a look at this link:
AA BATTERIES