Cell phone contracts & Foreigners: Sorry, I have to vent

Dude, same here, I can’t believe I’m not getting any benefits for being a long time customer of CHT. My current number has been used for over 10 years. It went from a pre-paid number to a contract.

I was paying for unlimited for around 1330/month in my initial contract of 2.5 years and now I’m paying 1399/month over 2 years. How…did it go up 69NT. I fought with the CHT guy and he said it was my only choice if I wanted unlimited 4G.

:-1:

Chunghwa doesn’t really offer any retention plan if you threaten to leave. I figure that they have so many clients they really couldn’t care less. I was paying $1399 too at one point but it included a flagship phone at low cost on a two year contract, so the price of the phone was baked into that rate.

1 Like

The foreigner only deal is that the website offers it on a one year contract that foreigners are not able to get and even offers a $499 unlimited internet limited speed option which is not available in store.

The break penalty I was referring to was the contract termination penalty, which is why I wanted the one year contract instead. I might just go to the foreign shops and pick up prepaid unlimited 3g for $400 a month, no cancellation fees if I need to leave and less nonsense.

Yah, the reason I chose the 1399NT monthly fee was because of the cheap initial payment for my phone. Not flagship, but close enough. 4 years ago I would’ve willingly paid 10k for a flag ship phone with a 1000NT+ monthly fee, but seeing how phones are reaching their limits at around 20 months, I’m reluctant to spend anything over 5000NT for the phone.

I did the calculation and after 2 years, it’s cheaper to buy the phone outright and get a cheap ($599/mth) unlimited 4G plan. The extra money paid monthly to cover the phone adds up to being more than the initial cost when the down payment is factored in. Besides, I bought a very nice Galaxy S7 used for NT$7000.

When I first went to CHT to see what they could offer, I told them about the 大哥大 deal. All they said was, “You’ll lose your 6 years with CHT. If you want to come back, you start over.” Which, obviously, means nothing since they give the good deals to new customers anyway!

I did that a few years ago with CHT. But, that extra 800 buck a month adds up to NT$19,200 at the end of the 2 year contract. That, on top of the 8-10k down payment, means you end up paying more for that phone.

1 Like

Yeah I guess it’s more of a deferred payment plan than anything. Although the phone I bought was 22000 at the time cash so it worked out just slightly cheaper doing the contract for me.

That said I just picked up a Chinese leeco phone for $200usd shipped to Taiwan with large screen and a fast snapdragon 821 processor so I’m happy. Not doing a subsidized phone again.

2 Likes

Well, another reason I say on CHT is because the entire family is on CHT. I don’t spend a dime if I go over my monthly limit.

I did do the math and the cheaper initial payment IS more expensive overtime, but I was just too lazy to spend the time and effort to look for a used or cheaper phone. I guess the convenience of signing the contract and getting a new phone at the same time, got me hooked.

Nonetheless, I would highly consider your suggestion next time I sign a contract.

They must give you a gold watch at 10 years… :roll_eyes:

@Yang_Gui_Zi

Do you have the name (or link) of this offer/tariff?

Thanks!

Sorry, I don’t. I think I signed up around July. Just went in the store and asked them what deals they have for unlimited 4G without buying a new phone. Although, I already knew they should have that $599 deal since my coworker had called before, but even without mentioned that they still told be about it.

T-Star still offers 388 NT$ for unlimited-Data. You sign for only 12 months and of course no phone included. I am using this and the speed is quite ok with 20 down und 12 upload. Not the most speedy one though …

On another topic I am still furious about Taiwan companies and their treatments to the foreign community.
T-Star not signing foreigners / The story mentioned here in the last posts
Gogoro only giving out “Discounts” to Taiwan citiziens etc.
Foreigners having difficulties to set up accounts on selling-sites
The endless credit-card stories (improving a bit though)

I was with CHT for 8 years. I just left. I was on a cheap limited data plan and wanted to switch to unlimited. They told me it would be 1400 a month. They offer absolutely no benefits or lower priced packages for loyal customers. You really can only get good deals if you are a new customer at any of the phone companies.

I walked into a Taiwan DaGeDa store one week ago and asked them their rates. Their unlimited 4G is 599 for new customers for a 2 year contract. They signed me up on the spot. No problem being a foreigner at all. I just showed them my APRC and gave them my billing address and current number.
They paid my contract break fee at CHT for me too. A whopping 60NT. hahaha.

1 Like

Chunghua is offering the $599 unlimited deal until tomorrow last day but on a 2 yr and as you said, only for new customers.

I’ve done some searching today and I’m going to sign with Tstar prepaid, one of the local shops that targets sea foreigners has a deal with them, unlimited 3G $2200 for the entire year, works out to $188 a month for the service. For that price, I’m sold. I have a second sim with FET for the odd time Taiwan star might not work, as I realize their network is inferior

I dont want to start another thread so im just gonna ask it here. My contract with chunghwa is about to end and I dont want to renew it. What are the steps to take to keep my number as a prepaid one?

$400NT/Month @ Taiwan DaGeDa for unlimited data for new customers willing to sign a 2 year contract. Foreigner friendly if you have an ARC, APRC or JFRV.

I currently pay 582nts for a student plan with 5GB and unlimited CHT WiFi which is everywhere. What I want is to not pay anything monthly. :smiley:

And keep your number?

You can transfer over to a pre-paid card, but that means a new SIM, which could mean a new number. Head over to Taiwan Mobile or Far East and ask. Tell them you’re willing to leave CHT and maybe they’ll cut you a deal.

Hey I’ve done this exact thing with chunghwa before. You go into one of their service centers, not the Senao ones though, and tell them you want to switch it to prepaid. They made me pay $300 or so for prepaid airtime which was good for 6 months and they let me keep the number.

1 Like