Cell phone: Lithium Ion battery with a memory?

Hi,

Older cellphones, powered with nickel cadmium batteries, had a problem with battery charging. Basically, if the battery wasn’t mostly used before recharging, the battery would develop a memory, and beging to function as if the new recharge point (half full, etc) was really “empty”. Over time, the battery became useless.

One of the improvements created by lithium ion batteries in cell phones is that they do not have the memory effect upon recharging. No need to fully drain before recharging.

All of that said, I have a lithium ion phone that is acting very weird. Chunghwa sales people are telling me that I need to treat it like an old nickel cadmium phone and fully drain it before recharging.

Is it possible that even though the battery is LI (labeled as such) that it might be some inferior type (locally made?) that functions as an old NC battery?

By the way, the goofy phone behavior is that it shuts off many times a day even with a full battery charge.

Thanks,

Seeker4

What’s the phone, is the battery an original, how old is it and what charger are you using (original or local replacement)?

That said even Li-Ion batteries go faulty sometime.

[quote=“Rascal”]What’s the phone, is the battery an original, how old is it and what charger are you using (original or local replacement)?

That said even Li-Ion batteries go faulty sometime.[/quote]
The phone is a Motorola V-150 purchased within the last 7 months. The battery is a Motorola battery (replacement to try to troubleshoot persistent problems). The charger is simply a cord that plugs into the side of the phone. Original equipment.

My view: The phone is a lemon. Has never worked right. That said, the concept of a lemon, and honoring warranties, doesn’t seem to have caught on here, even with a company having the history and formidable resources of Chunghwa Telecom.

Seeker4

My guess is it would have something to do with a faulty something (like the connection between the battery and phone is getting broken somehow). I’d assume the battery is OK.

Does the actual hours/charge from the battery seem OK? If it does there must be a problem with the phone. You could also get your hands on another battery (that is known to be OK) and quickly find out.

Didn’t see this part. Must be the phone (assuming the battery is OK).

Doing a quick search I see some reports of Mot phones and battery problems. Might be that the internal charging circuit has some prob.

I suggest to contact Motorola directly instead of Chunghwa telecom.

Thanks for the suggestions.