Cell phone text message input - English, Chinese, both?

I have this Sony Ericsson 630 cell phone, I have it set for English, but it seems to be able to receive text messages in both Chinese (mostly demands for ransom) and English. (It seems to receive phone calls from both Chinese and English speakers too…).

It has this nice feature where it helps guess the English word when entering a text message. Anyway, my question is, it only lets me create text messages in English. Why can’t I create them in Chinese too? I guess I could somehow switch the whole phone UI over to Chinese, but then probably I couldn’t create messages in English? Anyone got any suggestions? Does your cell phone do this stuff better?

Does your cell phone/provider have an email gateway?

My Nokia allows to input English (or German etc.) and Chinese when switched to Chinese UI.

Yep, TCC aka Taiwan GSM does.

i use my sony ericsson with english ui but i can use both chinese and english input. there is an option to change input. there are 2 types of input for chinese, choose the one that suits you best…

I think you probably want to know how to switch the input to chinese or english while writing a message.
Normally all phones have the # key as the input method selector key.
if you long press the # key it should switch between the input methods on your mobile phone.

you can create a multi lingual message by typing some stuff in language A then switch the method and entering stuff in language B.

hope it helps

hsinc

[quote=“Hsinc”]I think you probably want to know how to switch the input to Chinese or English while writing a message.
Normally all phones have the # key as the input method selector key.
if you long press the # key it should switch between the input methods on your mobile phone.[/quote]
On my Nokia it only switches between small/capital letters, predictive input and numbers when the English UI is active.
When in Chinese UI it switches between bopomofo, stroke, “ABC” and number input. The predictive input is then on automatically for Chinese (makes sense) but not available for “ABC”.
I guess there is no standard for this, i.e. every manufacturer implements this as they see fit.

When I get to the Input language screen while I’m composing a message, it only offers me:

• English
  • Standard abc

That’s it. I guess what I’m used to from Windows, “Chinese - Traditional (New Phonetic)” i.e. Hanyu Pinyin, is asking a lot. Anyone got a phone that does that? I suppose I could learn bopomofo phonetic which I assume is one of the two mentods that 5566 has.

And yes, holding down the # key gets me to the Input Language works on this phone!

Sanyo J80 (PHS) phone: I always have the user interface set to Chinese. Input options for SMS and the address book are alph, numeric and Chinese by either zhuyin fuhao or Hanyu pinyin input methods. One scrolls through the four options by pressing the @ key. Chinese 2-bit punctuation is also available.

PHS has e-mail but I havn’t managed to register an account.

Another nice feature of this simple phone is that you can back up your address book onto a computer via a USB cable, so if/when you lose your phone, you can load all your addresses from your PC onto your replacement phone. You can also edit the address book on your PC and then load it into your phone - thus taking advantage of the PC’s full keyboard.

phs.com.tw/

My Ni-Hao Moto V3 uses the # key to get to chinese input, however I had to specify the primary and secondary languages in message entry setup menu.

Truant, thanks, I found the setting for my T630 to enable Chinese input language.

I also set up MMS and GPRS after talking to Taiwan DaGeDa (TCC Taiwan Mobile). They have some support in English. So now, paying either per month or per bit, I can surf the net from my phone.

I guess I’m ready for some hot new phone, but this T630 has hella features on the cheap ($60 - $80?). Seems like a decent phone to use until all that fancy new stuff (mp3, 3G, video, etc.) gets sorted out one of these years.

Yep, TCC aka Taiwan GSM does.[/quote]
What about the main phone company, Chung Hua?