Cell-phones in the classroom

cell-phones in the class

• The teacher should always turn their phone off in the class.
  • Students have a right to complain whenever the teacher’s cell-phone goes off during class.
  • Students who complain about the teacher’s cell-phone are a bunch of whiners.
  • This is a stupid survey.

0 voters

A few days ago my boss at one of my jobs watched one of my classes. During the class my cell-phone rang. I did not answer it. My boss said nothing immediately after the class. Just today she sent me an e-mail saying that I should turn my cell-phone off during class. I use my cell-phone to check the time sometimes. So here is my survey. What should happen to teachers who have their cell-phone on in the class.

I once observed a guy teaching whose cell phone rang - and he answered it! EFL is just unbelievable at times.

I hate when classmates sit next to me and I hear the taptaptaptaptap of their texting.
I hate being in a restaurant and my friend sits there texting someone.
I hate being on a date and the guy answers the phone at the table.
I hate when I’m on the subway and everyone is staring down at their screens.

I think its awesome when my professor pulls out his cellphone. I think its the novelty for me lol. But he’s only done it to talk to his sick child at home who took the day off from school.
I would be really pissed if the teacher who’s salary I’m paying starts texting in class just because they can (if I’m the parent or student).

Maybe I sound like a type-A asshole, but I know a couple of students who feel like I do.

[For jimi: Post #2 for 8/12]

I didn’t answer the phone. It just rang in class. Answering the phone is a no-no :no-no: .

IMO, having it ring is a no-no too. Turn off the ringer at the start of class.

+1
I’ve vibrated in class many times, but the students didn’t know it and I ignored it. A couple of times I forgot to put it on vibrate and it rang. Without skipping a beat I pulled it out, silenced it, and put it away.
Having it ring regulary, and especially answering it during class, wreaks of unprofessionalism!

+1
…I’ve vibrated in class many times…Without skipping a beat I pulled it out…and put it away…[/quote]
+2
I don’t know what kjmillig does in class. :laughing:

Turn it off. Buy a watch. Your priority is your job, not where to go for bubble tea/beer/watch the game/what to pick up at the market later.

Under no circumstances should a teacher’s phone ring in class.
This would cause students to question the teacher’s professionalism.

When in the classroom, teachers should always switch their phones to vibrate, and conceal the phone in some loose fitting clothing.
When receiving a call, the teacher should take out the phone and pretend that he/she is checking the time.
If it is necessary to reply to the caller, the teacher should then excuse him/herself and go to the bathroom, where he/she can discreetly return the call.
Do not spend more than 10 minutes returning the call.

This is the correct way to arrange meeting places for drinks/dates with other teachers and former students.

I heard it described thusly a while ago: any randome phone call or text, anything that could happen anywehere else other than here, is more important and more worthy of my attention than the people around me at this moment.

Not a good message to send to your students. Turn it to silent.

Cell phones can be used creatively, though, if you have an Internet connection that can be shown to the entire class. There are web sites that can be used to make the cell phones act as clickers, to take surveys or do class response exercises.

My cellphone has gone off in class when I was lax. It has been very embarrassing, as it kind of messes with ideas I give in my intro class about me never wanting to hear a mobile. This is an idiotic discussion, though - any good teacher has usually either left his or her phone at home or turned it to vibrate.

I would like to know of a way to use the cell-phone as a tool in the classroom. My classroom has internet, so it may be possible.
I should have added an option about students who complain that the teachers are texting in class, when they are actually just checking the time. This didn’t happen to me, but it did happen to somebody I know. Or maybe that guy should just get a watch :ponder: .

I once had students complain that I kept looking at the clock. The clock on the wall, placed there so that people can see what time it is. I used it to ensure that I was following the lesson plan.

I once had students complain that I kept looking at the clock. The clock on the wall, placed there so that people can see what time it is. I used it to ensure that I was following the lesson plan.[/quote]
Now that’s just being petty and is one of the things that burns me out about teaching adults. Clocks or watches in the classroom are a useful tool. They help you stick to the lesson plan and they also help you gauge whether you are letting an activity go on too long or not.

I once had students complain that I kept looking at the clock. The clock on the wall, placed there so that people can see what time it is. I used it to ensure that I was following the lesson plan.[/quote]
Were they girls? Maybe they were complaining that the laowai was staring at a clock instead of them.

Actually, the ‘girls’ part is irrelevant.

{jimi: #3 on 8/13}

The questions in the survey aren’t mutually exclusive.

That’s why I added question number 4.

[quote=“Lili”]Were they girls? Maybe they were complaining that the laowai was staring at a clock instead of them.

Actually, the ‘girls’ part is irrelevant. [/quote]
So your question is “were they?”
Yes, they were.

Mixed group, in a company. I don’t remember anyone attractive being there.

In fairness, it was a one-time thing. Probably only one person complained too. So not a valid criticism.

I use my phone as a clock, and generally remark loudly that I’m checking the time. Never be seen pressing buttons!

Your ‘skool’ doesn’t have a clock in every classroom?

What a cheap f***.

Sometimes Google Translate in a life saver! Smart phone can be a useful tool.