Cell phones when driving and fines

Heard from a HK cop: A guy once got off (years ago when phones were rare) because the phone he was using was in fact a fake, and the judge agreed that as he wasn’t having a real conversation he wasn’t really distracted.

I did get out of a taxi the other day though because the driver was having a 15-minute argument with somebody over his phone. But that was because I couldn’t stand listening to it any more.

If this isn’t some desperate attempt at trolling…then I don’t know what is. You think that big bikes because the riders have more experience should get the hell out of the way of your car? No sorry…I’m not going to bite…you couldn’t possibly be that stupid.[/quote]
Oh dear, did I forget to add a :wink:
For the record, I’m totally with you on the cellphone while driving thing, along with the breakfast while driving thing, the newspaper-reading while driving thing and my personal favourite – the women using the rearview for putting on makeup while driving thing.[/quote]

Ok…so I was right…you aren’t that stupid. :wink:

Sorry…I’m a bit gullible…plus it’s late for me. Sorry again about over-reacting.

The only thing I ever do on my bike is ride it.

I’m not eating lunch, talking on a cell phone or primping my dread locks.

I haven’t got a TV, CD player or DVD installed on it.

I don’t have kids without seat belts bouncing around and I’m not listening to my ipod and picking my nose at the same time.

I’m looking in my peripherals and staying heads up for all the other inattentive A-holes in cars that are on the road.

Like eating an apple, for example?

http://news.BBC.co.uk/1/hi/England/tyne/4203375.stm[/quote]

Exactly. The point is don’t have anything in your hands for more than a moment and it’s probably all right to drive. But the act of talking AND holding on to a phone at the same time is too much of a distraction for most of us to focus on these crazy roads.

When I see people like lil’ blue truck drivers doing it, I wonder how they will make it the next 100 meters without hitting someone. But when I see a scooter driver doing it, I wonder if they know how dangerous it is.

Probably not. :loco:

I agree with Hsiadogah’s chew gum whilst walking test for all licence candidates… problem is for most Taiwanese drivers the mere presence of their internal monologue is enough to make them unable to focus on driving properly, let alone shouting out a full blown grunting match conversation on a cell phone… :unamused:

[quote=“Maoman”]I do it all the time - not a great habit, but nothing I feel too awkward about. Anyway, I get a lot of business taken care of behind the wheel. I drive one-handed most of the time anyway - with an automatic, small-sized car, it’s no big deal.

PS It’s been proven that “hands-free” and speaker phone units do nothing to improve driver safety. It’s not the physical telephone in one’s hand that distracts, but the conversation.[/quote]

Wow, way to set an example, Maoman. :unamused:

Heard in the news over 3500 people have been ticketed over a recent period for driving while talking on the phone including cars and scooters.

They also said hands-free is okay.

Maybe, or not, explains why I did not get a ticket recently. I was riding a rented scooter with headphones on but no helmet like so many others on Liuqiu.

A policeman waved me down and told me put my helmet on but did not care about the headphones.

1 Like

Are there any of these tickets caught with a camera on expressways or only on expressways and local roads?

Is that what you are talking about?

Yes that or any other cameras.

I don’t think it has enough definition to find if someone is using a mobile phone while driving.
I think those are more focused on recording accidents or changing lanes without indications.