Cellphones in Taiwan & SE Asia. Dual Band & MHz?

This is an edit of my post to change it as such: I have a dual band Motorola (C115) that is compatible with most SE Asia phone systems. The frequency is at 900/1800MHz. (This phone apparently also works or is manufactured in Europe according to the manual, but dunno if it works there.) It uses the regular sim card chip that slides in pretty quick. Anyone know if it is or should be good for Taiwan as well? Thanx.

original question, disregard:
{ I understand that the cellphones in South East Asia (Vietnam/Thailand) use the Sim card or Sim chip, which a person can slide in and out easily, to activate service. Question: are these phones the same as Taiwan and could a phone bought in SE Asia be used for service in Taiwan without much problem, or vice versa? I’m thinking of doing that now and need to know soon. Thanks. (ps, I’m currently not in Taiwan) }

I assume you have an unlocked cell phone

I’m pretty sure if you have a 3 or 4 band cell phone you won’t have a problem.

Even 2 band phones might work depending on what frequencies are used in SE Asia.

When you get to TW you can get service through one of the mobile carriers - just pop in the new sim card and you should be good to go.

thanks for the tips. do Sim cards/chips come with a phone # and call time pre-programmed into them?

Anyways, don’t know what bands they use in SE Asia, in Vietnam. I know I’ve heard guys say they bought theirs in Thailand and then use them in Vietnam.

Anyone else gone from SE region to TW or back, with cellphone? Work normal?

SIM cards in TW come with a phone number and you can buy pre-paid time.

Oh, I think you need a TW government ID to get a SIM Card. ARC will probably work, but you should ask folks here…

SIM cards in TW come with a phone number and you can buy pre-paid time.

Oh, I think you need a TW government ID to get a SIM Card. ARC will probably work, but you should ask folks here…

Ok I edited the original post alot, but in short, the phone is Motorola C115, uses sim card apparently like TW, but is dual band (not 3 or 4), with a frequency of 900MHz, or 1800MHZ, or 900/1800MHz. By the sounds of it, good to go in Taiwan?

Also, really need major ID just to purchase a TW sim card? In SE Asia, all you need is dollars and 4 minutes of your time. I even, by accident, had no ID on me at the time.

Wonasler, a dual band phone works just fine. It’s only the USA that uses 1900MHz.

You do need an ID. A passport used to suffice, but they’ve just changed the rules so that you’re supposed to have an ARC. Not much help to jobseekers, eh?

Help is at hand, however. Try this discussion: [Mobile (cell) phone, new service now available

Also Canada. Maybe a few others, too …

Iraq got the 1900Mhz system recently

Just bring the phone and as long as it works on GSM900 or 1800 you’ll be fine. You can get a SIM here.

Some companies here only support GSM1800. Chunghwa Telecom uses both GSM900 and GSM1800. If the phone was designed for Asia though, it’s probably dual 900/1800.

Most phones in Europe were dual band years and years ago. I haven’t heard of 900-only phones since about 1998. Unless his phone is absolutely ancient it’s going to be 900 and 1800. And as it’s a Motorola it’s probably 1900 as well - their phones are all triband, aren’t they?

As long as it’s not CDMA or some esoteric nonsense he (or she) should be OK.

No, not all Motorolas are tri-band, though recently, they may be.

Yes it appears almost certain it’s dual band. Three settings: 900, or 1800, or 900/1800 (dual). I don’t know at all of 1900, haven’t seen it on there. By the way the phone is pretty new, the used shop owner said '05, but then again could be '04 or so… Anyways thanks!