Celtic Music

Do you enjoy Celtic music?

I love it. There’s nothing better to me than listenin to celtic music while on the piss or just mellowing out.

I love pipes, drums, harp, fiddle, flute, celtic guitar (forgive me…i forget the name)…all of it.

If you have something to listen to…post it here. I love it. Gets my blood boiling one way or the other.

Oops, sorry, that’s the other blokes.

Well both sides of the former fence can settle with this.

Dubliners - The Parting Glass

Oh, all the comrades that e’er I had
They’re sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e’er I had
They’d wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I’ll gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be with you all

Okay I dunno if it’s Celtic, but I’m sure someone put this Lawson poem to a lovely tune. Actually I;m sure they did, because I recall singing it as a kid.

Andy’s Gone With Cattle -Henry Lawson 1888
Our Andy’s gone to battle now
'Gainst Drought, the red marauder;
Our Andy’s gone with cattle now
Across the Queensland border.

He’s left us in dejection now;
Our hearts with him are roving.
It’s dull on this selection now,
Since Andy went a-droving.

Who now shall wear the cheerful face
In times when things are slackest?
And who shall whistle round the place
When Fortune frowns her blackest?

Oh, who shall cheek the squatter now
When he comes round us snarling?
His tongue is growing hotter now
Since Andy cross’d the Darling.

The gates are out of order now,
In storms the “riders” rattle;
For far across the border now
Our Andy’s gone with cattle.

Poor Aunty’s looking thin and white;
And Uncle’s cross with worry;
And poor old Blucher howls all night
Since Andy left Macquarie.

Oh, may the showers in torrents fall,
And all the tanks run over;
And may the grass grow green and tall
In pathways of the drover;

And may good angels send the rain
On desert stretches sandy;
And when the summer comes again
God grant 'twill bring us Andy.

Or for Warren.

Paul Brady - Nothing But The Same Old Story

[quote]Hey, Johnny, can’t wait till Saturday night!
Got a thirst that’s raging . . .
Know a place where we can put that right [/quote]

HG

Bwahahaa. Fuck, no! Those pipers marching past my house at the crack of dawn on Sunday? Tossers.

As per your request…

youtube.com/watch?v=2xgwRitTgU4

fuckin’ A!

The Orange pipers at 8 am on a Sunday. Ugh. I support religious freedom, even for that bloody shower, but what annoys me about Christianity as a whole is the bloody singing and whatnot.

‘Irish bars’ in England also annoy me. Incorporating Guinness into every recipe (steak and Guinness pie, cod in Guinness batter), painting a place with leprechauns and shamrocks and playing the greatest hits of the Pogues does not make for a fun evening.

try getting hold of some of Runrig’s albums, a bit 80’s now but pretty cool Celtic rock

I used to go climbing with the singer from Runrig. They played at my sister’s wedding. Good band in their day.
Monster, get yourself the Rough Guide to Scottish Folk

Or some of the other Rough Guides – there are several for Celtic music. Some really interesting stuff on there that you’re guaranteed not to have heard before.

Back in my uni days I did house calls for fixing people’s computers. One particular day one of my customers played a Celtic harp (which is wooden rather than metal) and it was the most incredibly beautiful music that raised the hairs on my arm and neck.

To this day I regret not keeping some contact.

Clarsach. Beautiful sound to be sure. My piano teacher used to play it.

A lot of hoochter-choochter music here. Click on the links on the left. Music, video, interviews. Some good stuff.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/music/celticconnections/

Runrig rocks!

Runrig rocks![/quote]

Yes they do! Thanks for reminding me. I haven’t listened to them since I dumped my tape collection.
Sandman, that’s very cool.

Runrig rocks![/quote]

Yes they do! Thanks for reminding me. I haven’t listened to them since I dumped my tape collection.
Sandman, that’s very cool.[/quote]
Not really. I was in Taiwan and missed it. Apparently it was quite a wedding, which began in Edinburgh and continued for three days and nights, finally petering out in a croft in Broadford on the Isle of Skye. Police were called. My brother-in-law is what they call “a bit of a character.”

Pfft… like the police getting called means anything. They got called to my bro’s wedding cos me and a few others were playing the punk band’s instruments at 3 am at full blast (in a marquee tent on a farm, in my defence).

Pfft… like the police getting called means anything. They got called to my bro’s wedding cos me and a few others were playing the punk band’s instruments at 3 am at full blast (in a marquee tent on a farm, in my defence).[/quote]
This callout involved a roasted sheep and a burning caravan. And bare buttocks.

This callout involved a roasted sheep and a burning caravan. And bare buttocks.[/quote]

Haha. OK, you win (or, rather, your bro-in-law does).

Looks like I have a lot of listening to do. Thanks everyone and a BIG thanks goes out to Sandman.