Censorship

Right, I did find the rules, left menu, Community, FAQ.

3.08. Flame-baiting. Do not start a new discussion thread with the purpose of “calling out” another Forumosan or to pick a fight with a Forumosan. Exercise judgment when starting threads; inflammatory rhetoric has rarely been observed to lead to productive discussion.

I would have suggested the discussion would have been more productive by inviting the moderators into a private conversation. But, it’s being done in the open so the moderators who feel inclined can weigh in, I have said my piece.

2 Likes

I already tried and exhausted the obvious channels for resolution some time ago.

The intent here was to exclude people who didn’t participate in the behaviour I was complaining about. I would not “call out” an ordinary member on anything - as mentioned, that isn’t the way things are done. The complaint is about a matter of site moderation.

It’s under the Hamburger (3-line) icon/Community/More

3 Likes

Hamburger menu > community > more > site rules

Edit: I just noticed you found it yourself, too. :smirk:
And so did @tempogain

1 Like

And Mick did before me!

1 Like

I havent followed religiously all the covid threads. but have read a number. personally I feel the global covid reaction has indeed shown a great deal of hiding data and filtering of information. on that side I feel we, the planet, should truly be ashamed. It has festered into a (well deserved) distrust in authority. That is karma, and will not go away anytime soon because they dropped that ball right fucking hard!

my guess is that general distrust is hard to shake when in another platform as well. we all feel it in many other circumstances. “Fuck you teach” type mindset. just cause say twitter is shit, doesnt.mean every other platform is equally as hit by proxy. There are degrees, and often this is quite individual. it is understandable, but not logical.

for me, on this website (forumosa) it is does indeed come across as moderated. In taxonomy forumosa would be called “lumpers”. but so far, and I have had a few wild disagreements with people here, it is in the end more or less centrist. moderation is of course what it is. but I havent ever really had the feeling there is a witch hunt type scenario. in fact many times the mods or admins pm me letting me know. especially for ofde.sive language, which is.logical and I apologize or disagree or edit accordingly. even when the conversation gets heated, I say keep it public and let shit get worked out naturally. sometimes it is too annoying or stupid in the eyes of the overlords and it gets temp’d. I dont agree with temp in general. I prefer a long format conversation which almost always ends in understanding and compromise, even if heated in the beginning. That said i am not the one paying out of pocket for the bandwidth, coding, maintenance etc of this website. so i try to keep it open minded. As I think we all should. and as this topic is just as important as the person starting it is displeased and full one discourse can happen. I bet there is a more or less agreement in the end…

if making comparisons, social media in the sense of twitter or facebook and the like, is absolute trash. it’s the sole reason i enjoy forums over those, because there is more freedom (usually, depends on the owners). I appreciate forumosa for this point and it’s why I spend my wasted time here rather than shitholes like twitter that clearly pander to their overlords. even the newest twitter douche. same shit, different smell over there.

the simple fact we can argue with the admin and call their ideas batshit crazy publicly is pretty much the sole reason people like me enjoy this forum, even if we all have different political, moral, religious etc views. Being taiwan related is obviously the core thread that connects us all, but that only goes so far.

or maybe I’m a naive technological retard and this is the antichrist v2.0. so far seems pretty decent. though, I also dislike the temp threads. and an admin is literally called tempogain, so kinda suspect… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I might be completely wrong!

10 Likes

This is also generally where I stand.

2 Likes

Did you really have to quote the whole post to add a one-liner?

3 Likes

Agree

4 Likes

Good point.

6 Likes

fifty posts of censorship! Shameful.

3 Likes

I don’t recall censorship at that time but it was honestly such a confusing time with new and different information every single day. You just didn’t know what to think or believe.

But I’m glad I went with my instincts and did not get the vaccine at the end. Being young, I was one of the last ones to get called to get it when it was available for my age group. That time delay gave me second thoughts and I’m glad I wasn’t one of the first as I probably would have taken it.

I don’t regret it one bit while I know quite a few people who regret getting it anecdotally for various reasons.

1 Like

You’re lucky. I was forced to get it, or I couldn’t work. Taiwan “democracy”.
I would have taken it anyway, though. I believed the bullshit at the time.

5 Likes

I got the vax and two boosters because like I didn’t want to die slowly and quite painfully.

Took me a minute, when I got it I laughed, then couldnt agree more. Haha.

ps. jimi. if I edit my post to show a cute cat video, his post would be useless and confusing. quoting in full = basic referencing. That’s why I just quote the whole thing now, in case it is edited later.

this is where we the planet fucked up, right? the governments were dishonest, secretive and got caught. if they were open, factualaand presented everything clearly, we wouldnt have this threada all. I hope people learned from this, but it seems.obvious no one did.

3 Likes

I don’t blame you. The people in charge and the media did everything to scare us into taking it. I probably would have taken it if I was called in earlier and I was quite positive of the vaccine at first as most people wanted to return to normal life.

Being one of the last groups it was announced you would need to take a 2nd one around the time I was called. That really made me think twice. So they first promised me 1 shot for a normal life but now they’re saying 2? The BS started to stink my then. Once they said you needed a 3rd one my mind was made up about it.

I’m not going to say no one should have taken it but i do believe was the right choice for me. I got Covid eventually and it was a minor inconvenience and I got over it quickly.

2 Likes

I’m not referring to any of the posts above, but I personally dislike the quote reply function. People should be able to follow the thread without all this repetition. I suspect the quote reply function was invented for a generation of overstimulated users with twenty different simultaneous social media conversations ongoing at any time.

if there 100 replies and you just started reading the new ones, it makes sense. it also makes sense to preserve the original words. they may be edited then the replies to that edit message become irrelevant.

2 Likes

I stopped engaging here when that message appeared warning members of this forum that one must not question the official narrative about “COVID.”

I have no interest in participating in, or moderating a forum that bans discussion of official, authoritarian nonsense.

What’s the point of having a forum at all?

4 Likes