Censorship

I’ve managed to survive and thrive in Taiwan for many years without Forumosa. Or its rules.

I’ve managed to survive and thrive in Taiwan for many years without Forumosa. Or its rules.[/quote]

It’s a tempting set-up you’ve put there, Infidel, but I won’t be the one to say it whether I would believe it or not…

:smiley:

There was a lot…I mean a lot of work that went into the rules so that moderating the forums would be consistent when it came down to a need to moderate. But they still give enough room so that we can still wiggle around to adapt the situation as needed. Like a good pair of shoes.

While Infidel has seen better-run websites, although I have yet to see any that had such a community feeling as forumosa, I have seen plenty of websites where moderation was either strict (brick wall) or way too lenient (jellyfish) or just out of control. The forumosa moderation and administration team is a backbone. Not too rigid. Not too flimsy. But very flexible, supple, and agile. And they are the support that helps hold up this website.

Forumosa, or as I like to call it when talking about its whole history “orienteguemosa.org.com.tw.com”, has undergone a lot of changes to make this site what it is. I believe this website, like fine wine, has only gotten better with age.

Cheers.

I’ve managed to survive and thrive in Taiwan for many years without Forumosa. Or its rules.[/quote]

It’s a tempting set-up you’ve put there, Infidel, but I won’t be the one to say it whether I would believe it or not…

:smiley: [/quote]

Go on, then. I promise not to squeal.

In my opinion, your suggestion isn’t very helpful. The mods and long-time posters seem to be resorting more and more to the “This is a private site. Read the rules” response to opinions they disagree with these days. I’m not sure why, exactly. Other discussion sites that I frequent are a lot less strictly moderated - or should I say a lot more “self-moderated” - than Forumosa, and are a lot more fun and less intimidating. Again, IMHO.

Take the case of “fought/revenge/whateverthefuckhislatesthandleis”. I don’t agree with his opinions, but why ban him? I admire his persistence and his conviction in his beliefs. If he resorts to threats of personal violence, so what? We all have an “ignore” button, don’t we?

I think it’s a sign of weakness to take ourselves too seriously. Perhaps the rules, and Forumosa’s concept of “community”, need revisiting.[/quote]
Hi Infidel. bobl is partly right - Gus is the founder and one of the owners of Forumosa.com, but when it comes to setting the tone for the forums, the buck stops with me, and right or wrong, I’m accountable. If you have any specific suggestions, let me know. If you like, I’d be happy to meet you for coffee anywhere in the Greater Taipei area for coffee to discuss any concerns you have. I’m in Canada now on a well-deserved vacation, but I’ll be back at the end of the month. Feel free to call me, PM me or e-mail me anytime. (Actually, if you’re calling, please don’t call after midnight or before 10:00 am.) My number is 0935-560-995.

Best Regards,

Anthony van Dyck (aka Maoman)
Forumosa Co-Admin

ImaniOU wrote [quote]The forumosa moderation and administration team is a backbone. Not too rigid. Not too flimsy. But very flexible, supple, and agile. And they are the support that helps hold up this website.[/quote]

Hey, this is Asia!! You should use a kung fu bamboo metaphor.

[quote=“Infidel”][quote=“bobl”]This site is owned by Goose Egg.
You are a guest on his site. Respect his rules or don’t post here.[/quote]

In my opinion, your suggestion isn’t very helpful. The mods and long-time posters seem to be resorting more and more to the “This is a private site. Read the rules” response to opinions they disagree with these days. I’m not sure why, exactly. Other discussion sites that I frequent are a lot less strictly moderated - or should I say a lot more “self-moderated” - than Forumosa, and are a lot more fun and less intimidating. Again, IMHO.

Take the case of “fought/revenge/whateverthefuckhislatesthandleis”. I don’t agree with his opinions, but why ban him? I admire his persistence and his conviction in his beliefs. If he resorts to threats of personal violence, so what? We all have an “ignore” button, don’t we?

I think it’s a sign of weakness to take ourselves too seriously. Perhaps the rules, and Forumosa’s concept of “community”, need revisiting.

Hit me.[/quote]

That’s cool. If you want to start your own you can download the software from phpbb.com.

Hey, this is Asia!! You should use a kung fu bamboo metaphor.[/quote]

I can speak metaphorically. Okay, here goes…

Okay! Uh, posting on forumosa is like a bamboo forest.

Well, in most places except in the IP forum, which is like a cactus forest - rigid, unpleasantly heated, and full of… :wink:

Anyways, so here is forumosa with the occasional hush of the wind setting everything into motion. Everyone is swaying back and forth harmoniously with tall, proud stalks dancing in the breeze and the whisper of the leaves as they brush against one another, but every once in a while, Chow Yun Fat and Zhang Ziyi come flying through bending things and shaking off leaves, really messing things up. And that’s where the mods come in. Let’s just call them…

Gravity.

:smiling_imp:

ImaniOU wrote [quote]Uh, posting on forumosa is like a bamboo forest. Everyone is swaying back and forth harmoniously (except in the IP forum which is like a cactus forest - rigid, unpleasantly heated and full of…well, thorns ), but every once in a while, Chow Yun Fat and Zhang Ziyi come flying through bending things and shaking off leaves. And that’s where the mods come in. Let’s just call them…

Gravity. [/quote]

:notworthy: inspired :bravo: “Gravity” :slight_smile: :slight_smile: