Certificate of good conduct from Canada

Hi everyone, I’m looking to move to Taiwan this August to teach English in a cram school/buxiban. I have a question regarding the new 2017 law requiring a “certificate of good conduct” when starting as a cram school teacher. I know that in the U.S., the document required involves an FBI certification with fingerprinting and a long processing time.

So my question is: what is the Canadian equivalent? Would a criminal background check from my local police department (which uses the RCMP Canada-wide database) be sufficient? Or do I need to get a certified criminal record check through the RCMP, which requires fingerprinting and a significantly longer wait time.

I am asking because I am worried about the time-frame. Have any other Canadians dealt with this new law, and if so, do you have any insights? Help is very much appreciated!

See here:

I would ask the TECO. Please let us know what they say.

is it different than a criminal background check?

I cant remmebr exactly as it was a while ago, but the whole process was easy, fast (for the Canadian gov.), not too pricey and generally painless. No fingerprints were needed.

also interested to hear your progess to see how hte laws have changed :slight_smile:

“Certificate of good conduct” is a translation of the unofficial term 良民證. It actually means either criminal record check or police record check, whichever one the local TECO says is the right one.

New Update!: I contacted the TECO office in Toronto. They informed me that the certificate of good conduct in Canada must be a fingerprint certified criminal record check by the RCMP.

The RCMP informed me that some police stations will offer fingerprinting services, or you can seek out a government authorized fingerprinting service, which they say are usually faster. They also informed me that for somebody with no criminal record, the whole process realistically takes between 2-3 weeks!

I hope this helps any Canadians looking to work at a cram school any time soon. This information wasn’t so clear online, so I’m glad that there is now a concrete answer!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. Fyi it may take longer, depending on where you live.

I received this email from the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei. This may be of value for Canadians already living in Taiwan.

Please be advised the jurisdiction of criminal record checks falls under the RCMP in Canada.

Visit http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/criminal-record-checks and http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/steps-getting-a-certified-criminal-record-check for details.

Steps to obtain a certified Criminal Record or a …

www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Steps. Have your fingerprints taken; Fill in your application; Make sure your application is complete; Submit your application; Verify the status of your application …

Our office can assist by providing the finger print forms. If you need the forms, please mail a return envelope with $60 stamps to our office to request for one. [Or pick the form up at the office]

Basically, you would bring this fingerprint form to the National Immigration Agency (Taiwan) https://www.immigration.gov.tw/mp.asp?mp=2and have your finger prints taken, then contact the RCMP certified accredited companies to proceed.

Please contact the companies for more information. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/where-do-get-a-criminal-record-check#a3

Regards,

Consular Section/Section Consulaire

Canadian Trade Office in Taipei/Bureau Commercial du Canada à Taipei

6FL, #1, SongZhi Rd, Taipei 11047, Taiwan

Tel: 02-8723-3000

Fax: 02-8723-3590

Email: tapei-cs@international.gc.ca

2 Likes

For those interested, here is an email that I received today from the RCMP…

Good Day,

Please note that the Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS) of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) will only accept electronic fingerprint submissions for civil purposes. This process aims at improving the service level and accuracy of your screening.

At this time , electronic fingerprint submission directly to CCRTIS is not available outside of Canada.

In order to apply for a Certified Criminal Record Check (CCRC) from outside of Canada, please follow the steps outlined below.

First , you will need to contact an accredited fingerprint company based in Canada. For a list of accredited fingerprinting companies, please see attached document.

Please note that only the company locations listed have been authorized to take fingerprints for civil purposes and submit them as electronic transactions for verification against the National Repository of Criminal Records. This list is subject to change as company locations can be added or removed at any time. For an up-to-date list or for questions concerning this list, please contact the Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services by email at: CCRTIS-SCICTR@rcmp-grc.gc.ca or by phone at: 613-998-6362.

The accredited company will provide you with all documentation required as well as advise you on the steps to follow; where you can go to have your fingerprints taken with ink on paper and where you will have to mail all documentation including fingerprints and necessary fees directly to them.

The accredited company will then digitize your fingerprints in order to send them through CCRTIS’s system electronically so that they may conduct a certified criminal record check.

NOTE: Please do not mail these fingerprints or your application directly to CCRTIS as it will be returned unprocessed.

Also note that vulnerable sector check are not possible if you reside outside Canada.

Upon completion, CCRTIS will return your completed certified criminal record check by regular mail through Canada Post to the address indicated on the electronic submission (Therefore no tracking number available and you must allow time for delivery).

NOTE: once the demand is completed, the RCMP is not authorized to keep civil (non-criminal) fingerprints or copies of the certified results on file. If you have not received, misplaced or you require another certified document you will need to re-apply. If your document is returned to us by Canada Post and we have your contact information, you will be notified.

Wait times for Certified Criminal Record Checks vary depending on many different factors such as:

· The format of application received: electronic or paper (specific cases only);

· The number of applications received at different times of the year;

· The amount of manual processing related to your application.

Civil Fingerprints Screening Services (CFSS) processes more than 55,000 criminal record searches each month. The processing times for applications will vary depending on whether or not an individual’s fingerprints can be associated to a criminal holding maintained by the RCMP.

For those that are associated to a criminal holding (this would also include any non-conviction information), a manual review must take place and the process can take up to 120 business days from the date that the application was received. If no correspondence is established, processing times are 1 to 3 business days. The results are sent by regular mail through Canada Post to the address provided on file. An additional period of 5 to 10 business days must be taken into consideration for the receipt of the product if your address is located within Canada. If the document is return to us by mail, and we have your contact information on file, we will contact you to let you know.

For further information on processing times, please visit our website:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/criminal-record-checks

NOTE: Once the demand is completed, the RCMP is not authorized to keep civil (non-criminal) fingerprints or copies of the certified results on file. If you have not received your document, have misplaced it or you require another certified document, you will need to re-apply.

Thank You,

Single Point of Contact Agent of CCRTIS

Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services

RCMP - Forensic Science and Identification Service

Civil Fingerprint Screening Services

Phone: (613) 998-6362

Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm (Eastern Daylight Savings Time)

Email: CCRTIS-SCICTR@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

1 Like

For those interested, here’s an email I received today from the Canadian Trade Office – with regard to getting ID notarized in order to apply for a Criminal Record check.

The Canadian Trade Office in Taipei could provide ‘true copy of original’ notary service to your Canadian Identifications. (Canadian Passport, Canadian birth certificate)

The fee is $400 per copy and service standards is approximately 30 minutes. And you would have to come in person during our office hours from 9 to 1130AM.

Should you have other questions, please feel free to contact us at taipei-cs@international.gc.ca or 02 8723-3000.

Regards,

Consular Section

Canadian Trade Office in Taipei

2 Likes

It also requires that you promise not to do such things as encourage kids to throw sticky balls at white boards or encouraging them to say “Hi how are you” to random foreigners while eating our dinner.

I hope that’s not CAD! :noway:

Heh, I expect it’s NT.

Here’s some more information from an email today…

" If you would like to obtain a notary service for your self-declaration of your Canadian driver’s license at our office, the required document is your Valid Canadian Driver’s License, your Canadian Passport as well as other Canadian IDs you have on hand. Our consular services hours are from 9 am to 11:30 am, Monday to Friday. The fee for this Notary Service is NT1,100 .

We will return the documentation to you in the same morning. You must come to our office in person during the service hours."

2 Likes