Certificate of No Impediment to marry in Taiwan

Calling British citizens who married Taiwanese girls in Taiwan. What is the cheapest and quickest way to get the Certificate of No Impediment? Is it necessary to go back to England? Is the letter (not certificate of no impediment)issued in Hong Kong by the British embassy sufficient proof for the Taiwanese authorities?
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

I suggest that you contact the British Trade and Cultural Office, 9th Fl., No. 99 Jen Ai Road, Sec. 2, Taipei 106. They should have full information on all relevant details.

Unfortunately, the BTCO is absolutely useless on this subject. I have learned that it is possible to do it in HK - but if I had listened to the BTCO I would now be on a plane back to England for a 21 day trip.
I cannot get a Certificate of No Impediment in HK, but rather a letter to confirm my status as single - something that it seems the BTCO knows nothing about.

I would like to confirm two things:

  1. Does anyone know if that letter is in fact accepted by the authorities here in Taiwan?
  2. Is it possible to sort this out without having to travel anywhere?

As I say, after making several phone calls to the BTCO, I found getting information from them equivalent to the perverbial “blood from stone” and then generally wrong.

[Note: This message has been edited by Hartzell]

My understanding is that in North America such a document is often called a “Single Certificate,” whereas in the European sphere it is more commonly called a “Certificate of No Impediment.” Hence, although different names are used, these are essentially the same thing.

I would think that if you got such a document in HK and you could get it stamped (certified) by the ROC Representative Office in HK, and then stamped by the MOFA here in Taiwan with a supporting document from the the BTCO, that would most likely be acceptable.

While my analysis here sounds complicated, it is merely based on the fact that documents from overseas should be certified by the local ROC Representative Office there, and then verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs after bringing back to Taiwan. A separate letter of corroboration from the BTCO would add some weight to your entire case.

My knowledge of the situation at the American Institute in Taiwan is that for USA citizens you can take an oath right there in the Taiwan office and they will issue the appropriate “Single Certificate” to you fairly promptly, on official stationery.


Still interested to hear from any English people who managed to avoid going to HK.

I’m an aussie here in Taiwan and married my Taiwanese girlfriend. I had to get a “Single Certificate” like the US guy mentions. I got it issued from the N.S.W state government birth, deaths and Marraiges and I didn’t need to go to Australia or Hong Kong. All my new babies birth cetificate, aussie citizenship and passport paperwork has to go to Taiwan, but it goes through the Aussie trade office here, I don’t need to go to Taiwan.
When my wife first made enquiries about all this stuff, they were unwilling to help, but when I went there and demanded the answers I needed, I got them.

Also, to get married, I had to get a “chop” made to stamp the marraige certificate

Aussie guy,

Did you get your chop for your English or Chinese name? Just wondering… Thanks

Thanks for the help.

The BTCO will give you the runaround unless you can get to talk to the top banana – it was Steve Drew a few years ago – a very sound guy. Don’t know who’s in charge now.
The secretary/clerk/drone I talked to swore blind that I’d have to go back to UK and get the paper in person. She really sounded like she knew what she was talking about, too.
Finally found out what to do.
Get someone (one of your parents, preferably) to go to their family solicitor and get the document – “I swear that my son, Coles Warren has not now nor has ever been married … etc.” – notarized by proxy.
This costs a tenner, for which you’ll get a lawyer’s letter with his official seal on it. Next, your dad must send this to the Free China Office (or whatever its called) in London (I think its in Dublin Street). He must enclose with it an envelope addressed to you in Taipei. THe Taiwan authorities in London will check the authenticity of the solicitor (they really will!) and will then send the document on to you, using the Taipei-addressed envelope (I think you also have to pay for this but I can’t remember exactly how much). They will have stamped the back of the letter with their official stamps to validate that they have checked the ID of the solicitor.
Bob’s your uncle. It may sound complicated but it’s a hell of lot cheaper than a round trip air ticket.
Hope this helps

The chop was for my Chinese name.
Also I mention sending my stuff to Taiwan and not needing to go to Taiwan, Sorry a typo, it was pretty late when I was writing the reply. It should have said Hong Kong.

That is correct for Americans - you can swear an oath and get the certificate on the spot at AIT. It’s quick and hassle free.

quote[quote]It's quick and hassle free.[/quote]

Yes. Unfortunately it’s not also the other kind of free. A single certificate will run US$55 (about NT$1,800). (Getting anything notarized at AIT will cost that much. This is the State Department’s fault, not AIT’s.) So be sure you have enough money on you before you go. Of course, this is only for U.S. citizens.

If anyone’s interested in what the form looks like, it’s at http://ait.org.tw/ait/TSS/gif/marital.pdf
It’s so simple that I can’t figure out why the other de facto embassies don’t provide the same service.


Guest I agree with your words.

That IS funny.