Certified substitute teacher with limited classroom experience

You studied communication, but taught an entomology course? Where did you pick up a knowledge of insects?

65K sheckles? rupees? US big ones? NTD?
65 kNTD/mo is probably possible, 65 kUSD/yr is not happening, even with grad certs and experience you’d be rather hard pressed to find that as a teacher in the US.

There are tons of other teaching threads here that can probably illustrate the pay range you could expect. Most of what you’ll gain over here is experience, and perhaps mandarin.

Teaching and substituting “certifications” vary state by state; in NY, a BS/BA degree and a clean record are “certification”, and NY is one of the more stringent states re: education.

65k twd haha should have clarified

I have been studying mandarin for two years and I go to a Taiwanese church in the States, but I would like to be more immersed into the language, so I agree.

I took some classes and am also writing a YA novel about insects, so when the opportunity presented itself I agreed to it.

1 Like

I would like to work in a public school. From what I’ve read online the benefits of a public school job outweigh buxibans.

I’ve been advised to fly to Taiwan and search for a job instead of applying overseas. Would this be recommended for public schools or does it mostly apply to people seeking buxibans?

Do you have Taiwan nationality or an existing ARC? If not you can’t come to Taiwan first, due to COVID. If you are able to come to Taiwan first then it would probably be the easiest way to find employment in my opinion.

See this thread about substitute teaching licenses:

I recently spoke to someone who received an “employee seeking” visa a few weeks ago. If that’s still available in May then I’ll try it. Thanks for the link to the forum.

If you aren’t already in Taiwan they won’t give you that. To enter Taiwan right now as a foreigner you need to already have an ARC, or have a very good reason for a new resident/special entry visitor visa.

I’ve thought employment seeking is one of them, if you qualify for the visa. Am I wrong?

The “employment seeking” visa seems to work if you contact a consulate

I highly doubt they will give it to you.

Good luck though.

Do you have any reason?

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5691-aa1c3-2.html

Q1. For what purposes may foreign nationals presently come to Taiwan?
A:Starting June 29, individuals may apply for a special entry permit to come to Taiwan for purposes other than tourism (including social visits) and study, including studying Chinese. For the latter, the Ministry of Education will establish a separate schedule for opening up. Evidentiary documents (such as a permit or certificate issued by central competent authorities or relevant organizations, or a commercial invitation) must be presented for inspection. Permitted purposes for coming to Taiwan include internships and training, international conferences or trade fairs, international exchanges, volunteering, religious proselytization, working holidays, youth exchanges, and seeking employment.

From countries like the US with high COVID cases, I imagine they will be issuing as few visas as possible. Unless you have a good or urgent reason, they won’t want to give you a visa. That’s what the Taipei rep office in the UK were doing during the UK’s first spike.

Wasn’t it before June 29? At that time, basically all the visa issuance from TECOs all over the world was stopped except for special essential reasons. It was not specific to UK’s situation.

Even in August it was like that in the UK.

Don’t know if it has changed since then.

OP, have you visited Taiwan before?

There seems to be an influx of newcomers who want a job here but have never actually stepped foot in the country.

1 Like

Taiwan has had a lot of international press lately.

I guess that’s why.

No, the only country I’ve been to is Japan and that was to visit penpals. There are three primary reasons I want to give Taiwan a chance:

1. For the last two years I have been involved with a Taiwanese community (due to me going to a Taiwanese church) in my city. Their stories have increased my interest. Through them I will also have a handful of connections inside of Taiwan once I arrive.

2. I have been learning mandarin for three years and traditional mandarin for two.

3. I am open to eventually retiring in a new country. Health care in the States is ridiculously expensive and there’s no way I would want to be here when I’m a senior. If I do that I’d want to both 1) experience working in a country and 2) spend quite a long time there before I reach retirement age so that I can actually be part of the community.

I bet going through the church would be a great way to make connections and find a job. I do not recommend you go straight away to a public school.

1 Like

I’ve been told they will help me look but it depends on the locality I’m in. The church also has a list of people that I can live with if I need to. That will be helpful while I’m looking for a job.

Do you recommend waiting until I have more experience before seeking a public school job? As long as I can get paid around 65k twd, I wouldn’t turn down a job that offers me more experience.