Certified Teacher arriving Jan 3rd. Advice?

I’ve never been to Taiwan, but am arriving Jan 3rd and will be looking for a teaching job (hopefully not in Taipei - maybe somewhere with clean air?) and a place to live. I’m a certified teacher and will receive a masters in education in May and have international school teaching experience in Thailand. If any one can send me a list of international schools and other legitimate language schools, etc. who will treat me and pay me well, I will buy you dinner when I get there:) I was looking at Tainan - that looks like a nice little city to live in. When should I apply at the schools, end of January / before the break? Thanks for your time,
-Lindsey from Hawaii
reply to: Lindsey.Thailand at gmail.com or this thread.

internationaleducationmedia. … chools.htm

Here’s a list I just googled. I don’t know much about Tainan, although I’m not aware of an international school there. You’re much braver than I would be, coming and then looking for work. I’d look to land a job first.

Good luck.

Indeed. Seeing is believing when it comes to teaching gigs in Taiwan.

[quote=“LindseyBrown”]I’ve never been to Taiwan, but am arriving Jan 3rd and will be looking for a teaching job (hopefully not in Taipei - maybe somewhere with clean air?) and a place to live. I’m a certified teacher and will recieve a masters in education in May and have international school teaching experience in Thailand. If any one can send me a list of international schools and other legitimate language schools, etc. who will treat me and pay me well, I will buy you dinner when I get there:) I was looking at Tainan - that looks like a nice little city to live in. When should I apply at the schools, end of January / before the break? Thanks for your time,
-Lindsey from Hawaii
reply to: Lindsey.Thailand@gmail.com or this thread.[/quote]

Do a search for starters. Someone made a list of bilingual and international schools in another thread on where people can send their kids to. Here’s ine thread but there is another I think:
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=91584&start=10

Also, there was an ad a couple days ago for the island of Matsu looking for a certified teacher. Matsu is pretty remote but it’s a beautiful place and would be quite an adventure. Also it’s easy to fly back to the mainland of Taiwan or ferry over to China.
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=91926&p=1206535&hilit=matsu#p1206535

Also, you shouldn’t put your email address on a forum as spambots can and will find it. Write it out this way: Lindsey.Thailand AT gmail dot com.

Tainan?

Not much there teaching engrish-wise, or so I’m told.

Is that the sort of gig you are looking for? Or a re you seeking a legitimate teaching position?

If you get a job at one of the top schools, i.e. the Taipei European School or the Taipei American School, you should make sure to get hired from off the island, as you will get payed more.

You can legally work in public schools here teaching English. The quality of the students and the programs differ enormously, but overall working conditions and pay are usually pretty good for Taiwan.

Wego and Yanping both have pretty good reputations, for the private schools. There are a lot of private schools in Taichung, which has somewhat better weather than Taipei.

Good luck!

Officially, the air quality is better in Taipei than in Taichung–according to what people who have lived there for many years have told me. But, overall, some people might prefer the weather in Taichung over Taipei.