Certified teachers?

So, I was talking with someone at a St. Paddy’s party the other night, and she mentioned that in our state of residence, all she had to do to get some sort of teaching credential was to send her transcript in and pay $50. She’s a stay-at-home mom who has started substitute-teaching in the local public schools for a few days a week.

Is this the same thing as being a “certified teacher”? I’ve seen the term mentioned here on Forumosa, but I assumed it meant getting a B.Ed. or similar.

[quote=“Impaler”]So, I was talking with someone at a St. Paddy’s party the other night, and she mentioned that in our state of residence, all she had to do to get some sort of teaching credential was to send her transcript in and pay $50. She’s a stay-at-home mom who has started substitute-teaching in the local public schools for a few days a week.

Is this the same thing as being a “certified teacher”? I’ve seen the term mentioned here on Forumosa, but I assumed it meant getting a B.Ed. or similar.[/quote]

A teacher certification is issued from an authoritative source. In the United States, each State government has their own unique requirements for earning a teaching certification or teaching license. Some states requirements are more rigid then other states. See this site for information: http://certificationmap.com/ The example you cited above does not sound like a legitimate path towards a credible teaching certification.

Kind regards.

[quote=“Shao Pung”][quote=“Impaler”]So, I was talking with someone at a St. Paddy’s party the other night, and she mentioned that in our state of residence, all she had to do to get some sort of teaching credential was to send her transcript in and pay $50. She’s a stay-at-home mom who has started substitute-teaching in the local public schools for a few days a week.

Is this the same thing as being a “certified teacher”? I’ve seen the term mentioned here on Forumosa, but I assumed it meant getting a B.Ed. or similar.[/quote]

A teacher certification is issued from an authoritative source. In the United States, each State government has their own unique requirements for earning a teaching certification or teaching license. Some states requirements are more rigid then other states. See this site for information: http://certificationmap.com/ The example you cited above does not sound like a legitimate path towards a credible teaching certification.

Kind regards.[/quote]

Many thanks!

The process I mentioned might not sound “legitimate”, but the website says that all that’s required to teach in Illinois is a bachelor’s degree; for certain types of classes, the degree has to be related to the subject matter (math, science) being taught. So, I’m golden. I just have to do the bureaucratic papershuffling. Might never need it, but might be handy to have just in case.

I’ve been looking for something like this for a few months. If you found the website, could you please give me the details?

It was in his post: certificationmap.com/