Chabudo and service manuals

Chabudo is pervasive in the 'wan, including service manuals, which leads to the need for a chabudo counter agent called “the right way to do things”, esp. if you do your own wrenching.

The first example is a classic. When changing the spark plug on a SYM Citycom 300i, the factory service manual instructs you to remove the luggage box and access the spark plug from above. Utter nonsense, if not impossible. Instead, you remove the “left side garnish” to access the plug. To remove the l.s. garnish, the only direction in the service manual is “remove one screw”. Actually, there is a screw, yes, but to remove the l.s. garnish, you must squeeze two “fork tabs”, front and back, along the bottom edge of the garnish, the front, bottom tab being inaccessible unless have angled needle nose pliers, are double jointed, 6 " high, and have x-ray vision. The top edge of the garnish is held on by three elbow tabs, totally inaccessible. So, you release the rear, bottom fork tab and the persuasion needed to dislodge the front, bottom tab breaks off the front top tab. No worries, you now have a straight shot at the spark plug, and the whole process of changing the plug takes five minutes. Moreover, the l.s. garnish fits so snugly, the front, top tab is not needed.

Luggage box removal requires battery cover removal and disconnecting a kill switch connector (there’s a second kill switch in the luggage box), a total of 9 screws, and at least a 15 minutes getting the luggage box off, then back on … and the plug is inaccessible from above, compared to five minutes for the complete plug change using the l.s. garnish way. But, the chabudo way, that doesn’t work, avoids claims for broken tupperware tabs.

I was asked to edit a user manual for a set price. After going through the first 3 pages, I replied asking them if that was the price per page …

Noone reads the manuals anyway. The mechanics certainly don’t.

Agreed, Ah Huang isn’t about to read a manual… but waigos read them. At least the photographs in the modern manuals are “true and accurate”, until the simulacrum of OEM “tech writing” learns to photoshop.