Chances of survival with Covid

I don’t want to be in the 1.8%

6 Likes

Pretty sure no one really does.

If you don’t have comordities and are not elderly, your chances of survival are even higher than that.

Do you believe you might be?

Aaaaand yet again, we’re back to the binary of life or death, as if these are the only ways to understand COVID outcomes.

We are nothing if not predictable animals. :upside_down_face:

Guy

I find this post unsurprising.

1 Like

Maybe we can have this more generic (and occasionally repetitive) conversation here and out of other threads.

Wouldn’t that be awesome?

Guy

So don’t be. Unless you’re 80+, you have a choice.

Also worth pointing out that even if you’re not one of the 0.2% of the population who (in a COVID-running-wild country) catches and dies from COVID, you can still be one of the 1% who die every year of other things; and to a certain extent you can decide whether or not to be part of that group, too.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

78% of ICU patients in the US are overweight/obese. So don’t be old and dont be fat.
Also, get a lot of Vitamin D (aka stand in the sun for 10 minutes a day) and that would significantly improve your chances of survival as well as a healthy diet.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how much that really means in terms of correlation, since apparently 69% of the American population is overweight or obese (source).

Based on BMI index calculations, I’m overweight, so I guess I’m high risk. Most people are.

1 Like

There are plenty of studies on the actual risk of hospitalisation and/or death given preexisting conditons. Conservative estimates put it at 500-600% higher risk of needing medical intervention, but there are shades of grey. The CDC published some data showing that only 1% of people who ended up dead had no pre-existing conditions; or, if you prefer, 96% of the COVID fatalities had two or more (3% had just one). Data from the UK ONS shows a very similar result.

The obvious conclusion is: don’t be in that group with “two or more” pre-existing conditions. A secondary conclusion is that being 100% healthy gives you protection comparable to being vaccinated. Or at least it did back in 2020.

So the question remains: why would anyone want to be overweight? How does that make one’s life any better if you also have to worry about your COVID risk alongside all the other issues that it’s associated with?

From the 78 percent figure, over 50 percent were obese. That compares to around 40 percent of Americans being obese. So, obesity does increase one’s chances of going into the ICU (assuming one makes it that far).

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

This goes against the narrative some would cling to.

1 Like

Is anyone arguing that no young people can die from covid? That zero relatively healthy people can die? I haven’t seen anyone say that.

So which narrative is this story against?

1 Like

My prediction is we are about to see media reports on children who died with Covid.

Morally unjustifiable, IMO, when significantly at-risk people in poor countries have no access to vaccines.

1 Like

I agree!

but remember, variants only spring up in the unvaccinated people in rich countries. Leaving the poor countries unvaccinated doesn’t matter. And one British kid saved is worth a thousand old Africans saved.

My dad used the analogy of putting on your oxygen mask before you put on your friend’s. Depressing. Well I think the plane will already be on the tarmac before they do what is right.

2 Likes

What makes you think that?

Nobody is claiming that not one single young healthy person has ever died of COVID. The official figure is somewhere between 1% and 3% of all COVID deaths, depending on country.

1 Like

These go against the narrative some would cling to: