Change of jobs - required documents

So I will be changing my job from an english teacher to an industry job. Any ideas what documents I will need to gather etc for a smooth transition ? I have heard that I will need a health check again even though I did one just 5 months ago for my ARC !

You need to prove you have 2 years relevant experience, so references will be required, as will your degree.

No health check is needed for jobs outside of teaching.

Ok so I just got informed what I need. Sticky point could be “Termination Certificate” from my current employer (Hess) as well as photocopy of work permit. Now what happens if Hess start the cause problems and don’t give me this ?

digging up the topic…

I work in a company and just found a new job.
I informed (today) my company that I will quit, and they say I have to stay for one month (for training the new guy, which is quite fair)

the new company has to apply for a work permit. for that, I understand that they need a Proof of termination of previous contract.
Can I tell my company to sign a paper stating that I will leave next month, so that the new company can start applying for the new permit already ? Or do I really need to be out already to be able to apply ?

If the latter one, it means I will be few weeks NOT under any work permit, which means they could take my ARC away ? then I will have to stay illegaly for the time to process the new permit ?

did anyone go through this before and tell me the best way to handle it ?

[quote=“BigNoodle”]digging up the topic…

I informed (today) my company that I will quit, and they say I have to stay for one month (for training the new guy, which is quite fair)

the new company has to apply for a work permit. for that, I understand that they need a Proof of termination of previous contract.
Can I tell my company to sign a paper stating that I will leave next month, so that the new company can start applying for the new permit already ? Or do I really need to be out already to be able to apply ?

If the latter one, it means I will be few weeks NOT under any work permit, which means they could take my ARC away ? then I will have to stay illegaly for the time to process the new permit ?

did anyone go through this before and tell me the best way to handle it ? [/quote]

I’m actually in this precise situation myself! If anyone has answers to the above questions, I would be really grateful!

Thankyou!

Hess is a large organization. I’m sure they’re more professional than some small buxibans.

Wrong. You still need a health certificate. At least I did.

[quote=“BigNoodle”]digging up the topic…

did anyone go through this before and tell me the best way to handle it ? [/quote]

Your work permit should not expire until you actually leave the company. The company can’t keep you onboard without a work permit anyway. So, your Proof of Termination should state the last day you worked in the company which should be sometime next month.

What documents should one present to the new company? Obviously you can’t give the new company your Proof of Termination because you’re still working, while job hunting.

You can get an Employment Certificate that has a special remark stating the last day you will be working at the company.

Thanks Gryphon,

Does that certificate have to follow a particular template?

What are the other documents required to transfer the work permit to a new employer?

Thanks again!! :slight_smile:

[quote=“bumclouds”]Thanks Gryphon,

Does that certificate have to follow a particular template?

What are the other documents required to transfer the work permit to a new employer?

Thanks again!! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Well, you can’t transfer the work permit. The old work permit will expire once you leave your company. Your new employer can begin applying for a work permit as long as you provide:

1. Proof of Termination (Employee Certificate with Termination date will suffice temporarily, but the gov’t will need the proof of termination later)
  2. health certificate
  3. tax certificate with salary information for the previous tax year
  4. a photocopy of your passport
  5. a photocopy of your existing ARC
  6. two 2x2 inch photos
  7. a photocopy of your diploma

I think that’s pretty much it for a new work permit.

I read some posts on this forum a long time ago said something like ‘you can add a new employer to your current work permit’.

Is that true? Or do you have to get a new piece of paper for each employer?

[quote=“bumclouds”]I read some posts on this forum a long time ago said something like ‘you can add a new employer to your current work permit’.

Is that true? Or do you have to get a new piece of paper for each employer?[/quote]
That might be true for teaching English. But I don’t know if that applies to jobs other than teaching.

Regarding Hess,

I heard that when Hess hires a teacher, it might take one month to begin the paperwork for a work permit and ARC. Specifically, the teacher must complete training and a probation period before the paperwork begins. Is this true??

You need to prove you have 2 years relevant experience, so references will be required, as will your degree.

No health check is needed for jobs outside of teaching.[/quote]

I changed from a buxiban teaching gig to a “real” school teaching job, requiring state certification, and didn’t need to complete the health check so I guess “No health check is needed for jobs outside of (buxiban) teaching” is more accurate.

“No health check is needed for jobs outside of (buxiban) teaching” is more accurate.

From my experience, my first teaching job required a health check, the others did not. So logically, it would seem that one’s first job requires a health check. Besides, they got me for 2k NTD.

Hey folks,

Quick question. When you want to change jobs, can you sign your termination papers 2 or 3 weeks before you quit? Or do you actually have to sign that on the actual day you’re leaving.

I need to use my certificate of termination to apply for my new work permit.

Yes, I’ve been told I’m too whiny, but…

I just came back from what I know has been the best exercise and the most frustrating experience I’ve had in a loooooong time.
I was sent to a Health Center about a mile away for a Mumps Measles Rubella shot. Forget the mile and the 700 NTD cost.
It turned out that the Chinese script the nurse wrote out for me simply showed 2 cross streets and that I was to be administered and sold the MMR shot.
90 minutes I spent looking at any and every sign within a 2 block area of that vector and still no Health Clinic in sight. Besides, why doesn’t the hospital administer the shot? I’m familiar with their signs because I frequented one in Taoyuan. The doctor and his assistant were professionally perfect and the doctor’s English was great!

Back on task: I showed the nurse’s writing to 15 people. Half of them gave me a look saying they didn’t know. The other half pointed me into various directions. Broken, disgusted and ashamed that I couldn’t find the place, I returned to the hospital and asked to speak to an administrator. She was able to write the address of the clinic in Chinese so I can ask a passerby. Also, she would look into whether people my age need this shot. I came home, googled MMR for adults and found that the cut off year is 1957.

Moral of this story: If you want something done right, you talk to the boss. Forget all the underlings because they’ll drive you looney.

UPDATE FROM YESTERDAY:

I went to see the nurse at 9AM. I had printed out from CDC their recommendation that US citizens born before 1957 need not take the MMR vaccine.
She showed me Taiwan’s CDC decision that all foreign teachers must have the MMR regardless of nationality or birth year.
So basically, her CDC trumped mine. I did win too because now I had a real address for the Health Clinic.

So now armed with a piece of paper with the Health Clinic’s address in Chinese I walked back to where I had been searching yesterday, showed it to a passerby and found it very easily. Just as I thought, the Health Clinic was about 2.5 blocks away from the intersection the nurse had sent me to. I just don’t go anywhere on a whim and/or a prayer. I either have the address in Chinese on paper or in text message.

More good news too! I’m not even near the borderline vis-a-vis heartbeats per minute or blood pressure and I’ve even lost a little weight! That’s great news. I’ve been taking 1 Norvasc generic tablet for 2 years and it’s working very well, thank you!