Changes in past 10 years

I got here in 1988. Stayed at a place called TIYAC, the Taipei International Youth Activity Center–a government-run hostel. It still exists (next to Tai Da), but got converted away from hostelry.

I remember all the discussion about building the MRT, but never believing they’d actually do it. Also when they had Da-An and 228 parks all fenced off to work on them. The traffic was a lot worse then. I even remember before they had the raised freeways.

Back then you could see caged orangutans in the pet shops. And caged women in Wanhua, with gangsters to guard over them and keep them from running away. A lot of them were mountain girls, sold by their fathers. But there were still a few legal prostitutes as well, regulated by the government. It was all a lot less discrete than now.

I remember all the young Westerners who came to learn Chinese, or make their fortunes, or get laid. There was Roman Andrushko, a Ukrainian from Chicago who had a different girlfriend every time I saw him. And Thomas Deneau, a quiet ex-military sort who worked two jobs and studied Chinese. Wonder whatever happened to them? Sorry, I’m reminiscing.

Let’s see…I remember back when Taiwan had diplomatic relations with South Korea, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, and I think Israel too. Lee Deng-Hui was new, and well-liked by both KMT people and native Taiwanese. (I guess the latter is still true.) The exchange rate was about NT 25 to the dollar and stable. The stock market just opened here, and people went nuts for it just like the lottery now. New computer companies were everywhere.

ICRT and Taiwanese pop stars were the apex of popular culture here, and young couples would go to “MTV’s” (that rented videos, plus tiny rooms to watch them in) for romantic privacy. There were lots of English-language bookstores, with a huge selection. Cave’s pirated whatever they felt like, there were two more second-hand English bookshops next door and others near the universities.

There was no internet, at least not that I had ever heard of. I sent mail from TIYAC. Coffee shops were just starting, and were nothing like Starbucks. Shr Da was the major school for teaching foreigners, who were mostly white.

Let’s see…big military parades for Double Tenth?

Oh yes, and I remember learning three new characters one day: Tian, An, Men. There were big protests a lot those days, but Tiananmen was different. Crazy stuff. People would release balloons with pamphlets etc. on them from here. Somebody tried to buy a ship that would broadcast pirate radio to the mainland. They almost got to do it, but Taiwan refused to let them refuel.

Crash Helmets
Boddingtons beer
Satellite TV
President hotel
MRT
BBC World
Star World
Piano bars

How 'bout the Taxi wars running up before the 2002 elections? Everytime a fenderbender happened between “People’s Taxi” and “Da Tong” the drivers would call out all their company mates and have a big standoff brawl.

At the apex of all this activity, there were about 300 taxis and taxi drivers squaring off under some overpass on the west side of the city, police in riot gear off to the side (not daring to get involved), molotov(Kao Liang) cocktails, and some old man in his 70’s who took a ride with the wrong company ending up getting a beating with a baseball bat.

Does anyone remember the Fu Bar and Enjoy Pub (great Chili) on the west side of Shir Ta University (off of Ho Ping)? Or Roxy 1, across from where 45 is now? How about the Whiskey-a-go-go evening fights between prostitues fighting over Johns?

How 'bout all the seafood restaurants and BBQs on Hsing Sheng South Road that they tore down to put in Da An Forest Park? When Chi Lin Road used to be completely barbershops and Pachinko Parlors? When the strip between Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall and Sung Shan Road on Chung Hsiao East Road was nothing but open fields and storage for abandoned scooters?

YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN

Oh I remember when we used to get to kick stray dogs and piss on the locals. It was such a great place back then.

Barf Barf Barf

How cute half a dozen or so old English teachers (or hatever you are) get to “try” and brag about how long they have been here.

Get a life

:unamused:

I have met plenty of english-teaching long-timers. Lots of them are established nice people.

Not all long-timers are english teachers.

Oh shit, I replied to one of those creepy guests :cry: :cry: :cry:

…I have a lot more grey hair…

[quote=“Anonymous”]YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN

Oh I remember when we used to get to kick stray dogs and piss on the locals. It was such a great place back then.

Barf Barf Barf

How cute half a dozen or so old English teachers (or hatever you are) get to “try” and brag about how long they have been here.

Get a life

:unamused:[/quote]

Wee chip on the old shoulder there, perhaps…?

Funny how the really childish posts are almost always by ‘guests’. :unamused:

I had never considered being here for a long time as being in a competition. Just a fact.

The hair, for one thing.

It used to be a sea of black, speckled with grey and white. Any extreme variations, such as blond or red, were almost certainly foreigners. Few locals would have dared to stand out by dyeing their hair. On the very few occasions when one saw a local with his/her hair dyed anything other than a brownish tinge, it came as quite a shock and one couldn’t help feeling that it looked so incongruous – certain to catch stares all round and not a few disapproving looks and comments.

It’s so much more colourful now. Out with the drab conformity – very much a change for the better.

I remember seeing a Chinese girl in HK in 1989 with really light blonde hair - very well done, roots and all. I nearly fell off the escalator. That was the moment I decided to study Chinese and live in Asia. Thank you mystery blonde girl !

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]Until 1992, they sold the American version of Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, Club, and Gallery at every convenience store and even at the train stations. And they weren’t censored at all.
[/quote]

Lo and behold – FNAC is currently selling imported Penthouses in their magazine section! (Oddly enough, placed in the GAY magazine section, maybe because of the lesbian pictorials.)

TV has changed a lot in the past 10 years. But only the number of channels has changed. The lousy content, weird sound effects, and news which focuses on police arresting alleged suspects haven’t changed at all.

Up until the early 1990’s, there used to be only three TV stations in Taiwan, but almost everyone in Taiwan was just as addicted to TV as they are now with almost 100 stations. However, during the late 80’s, some people spent about 20,000 NT for an analog satellite receiver and a 120 cm Ku-band dish just to be able to receive four more channels. But the four additional channels were only in Japanese, so most of the people couldn’t understand a word of it! So the only programs that anybody watched on these four channels were the sports programs, since they didn’t require knowledge of Japanese. (By the way, I think it’s amazing that this satellite is still in operation, and it still has the same four analog channels on the same frequencies as it used to. The satellite is called “BSAT 1A” and it’s at 110 degrees. You can see the information about BSAT 1A here.)

Then I remember it was late 1991 or early 1992 when a new C-band satellite called “Asiasat 1” was launched and placed at 105.5 degrees, with five analog channels. Taiwan is at 120 degrees, so this satellite was put in a place where it was very convenient for people in Taiwan, China, and Hong Kong to receive. The five channels were Star World (in English with Chinese subtitles), Star Movies (American movies with Chinese subtitles), Star Sports (in Chinese), Channel V (a music channel, in Chinese), and the Phoenix Channel (in Chinese). These five channels were broadcast from Hong Kong, but the footprint of the satellite covered all of Asia which is north of Australia. (Around 1999, Asiasat 1 was put out of orbit, and a new satellite called “Asiasat 3S” was placed at 105.5 degrees, which at first had the same channels as Asiasat 1 used to have, but now most of the channels have changed.)

So then lots of people got 180 cm C-band dishes and analog receivers to be able to watch programs from Asiasat 1. It was very exciting for Taiwanese people to finally be able to watch additional channels which were in Chinese because ever since 1972, there had only been three TV channels in Taiwan. (Before 1972, there was only one channel (TTV), and before 1962, there were was no TV at all in Taiwan. This is incredible because television was invented in the 1920’s! The first American TV station (a CBS station in New York) started broadcasting back in 1931, and the first British TV station (BBC) started broadcasting in 1932!)

Also in the early 1990’s (I think it was 1992), the Taiwan government finally allowed one additional channel, which was “Min2 Shi4”. Even now, there are only these four wireless channels. (All other channels are only on cable, and all cable channels other than these four wireless channels come from satellites.)

At the same time when Min Shi started broadcasting, illegal cable TV started up on “Channel 4” (210 MHz to 216 MHz). At that time, most TV’s only had only four channel buttons. The first three buttons were for the three wireless channels, and the fourth button was used for VCR’s or for illegal cable TV. (These four channels were at exactly the same frequencies as American channels 7, 9, 11, and 13, which is 174 to 216 MHz). So since all four buttons were already being used, Min Shi started broadcasting on the frequency which corresponds to American channel 5 (76 to 82 MHz), so only people who had American TV’s could receive it. But then illegal cable TV soon started including Min Shi as one of their channels.

Then the government finally legalized cable TV around 1993 or 1994, and then the stores started selling TV’s which were “cable ready” so people no longer had to buy cable TV frequency converter boxes.

It seems that nothing has changed in 10 years, but then I think of all the tall buildings on Taichung Kang Road, and realize that most of them have been built since I’ve been here. Can’t for the life of me picture what it was like before them…

“things have certainly changed round here” I mused, as I picked my car up from the tow away pound in Feng Yuan…that never used to happen!! I was convinced it was a change for the better. Yes, less cars , less traffic, no more double parking…then it happened to me!

Taiwanese girls have become much bolder about flaunting their luscious bodies. Do you remember the old days when gorgeous young things used to bathe in the sea wearing all their clothes (even stockings!). Rarely seen bikinis (so-called) revealed almost nothing, and the lasses were so hung-up about what they believed (absolutely wrongly!) were their too-small and not sufficiently feminine little boobies that they hid and disguised them for all they were worth. They always knew their legs were great, so miniskirts are nothing new (thanks be to Buddha!). But now they are much more confident (and rightly so) about their bods as a whole (don’t misread that), and allow us to feed our hungry and appreciative eyes on much, much more.

Kin-L, you can actually ‘read’ Omni drooling!!

One of the dangers of Taiwan that can lay low unwary male visitors: dehydration from irrepressible hyper-salivation.

I like how big and sexy the young lads are becoming. (must be all the milk they drink these days)
The 30 to 40 somethings can’t match them in height and muscle tone, these young student studs of the island.
Especially the tanned, beefy boys with smooth hairless chests, tight round buttocks, long muscular legs, high cheekbones, defined jawlines and sexy slanty eyes.
It’s rather unfair to compare them to the sad act, sweaty, pot- bellied and malodorous western gentlemen seen around the local taverns.

Great news about Penthouse for jazz mag lovers everywhere though I’m waiting for somebody to start publishing Caucasian Babes.

Quote from 2002:

Thank you, A-bien.

My Quote from 2008:
Where’s the fucking money?