[Changes to the Confirm Page] This is becoming annoying

Not if they’re open, obviously. No wonder there was a warning.

I don’t think women use them.

the guys in red hot chili peppers used to use them. must have beeen chilly in the winter.

you’re right, buttercup. women don’t NEED fsocks.

Alas, not a terribly convincing argument. Or maybe too deep for me to comprehend. Try again, I’ll look out for reply.[/quote]You wanted a deep argument? I don’t have a deep one. I just don’t want to click more than I must, nor switch pages more than I must, nor do anything that’s unnecessary or not terribly useful. Basically, I’m pretty lazy. This little feature feels a whole lot like something that might sound like a good idea to improve functionality, but really just gets in the way and becomes annoying. Not a huge deal, but a minor bite in the ass. Kind of like all the “improvements” at flickr post-Yahoo buyout. :unamused:

Please, don’t put “improvements” in the way of ease of use. If it ain’t easier, it likely ain’t an improvement.

forumosa.com/p/?whyohwhywouldIwantthis

Me too, so I always just hit the NEW button at the top rather than wait for the page to redirect me back to the post I just made. Because of this, I didn’t even notice the change Goode Egg had made until BP pointed it out.

I have no idea when it’s needed and who would need/use the shortcut link … sorry, but the usability is going to be minimum, not enough to offset the hassle …

Its a new doo-hickey that is not an improvement to the ‘Quality of the Forum’ IMO and a few others.

You wanna add something useful? - Make it so a PM can be sent to more than one person at a time.

added:
This post is the first time I’ve posted since this little wonder was added - it doth suck.
Even though I usually just click on /24, it its needlessly bothersome.

I agree!

And I do not believe it is related to the changes made from this modification (the error only appeared this afternoon, and I added the Short URL thingie last night)

Haven’t identified where this error is coming from tho[/quote]

I figured out the problem - it’s from our web blog at www.forumosa.org

The Blog is hosted on a separate server - DreamHost. THAT server is down right now which means the RSS feed from forumosa.org is also down.

It should be back up by 3am PST (what time is that here?) I have temporarily disabled the code that brings in the RSS Feed from our Blog. I’ll fix it later tonight[/quote]

UPDATE: The Blog server is still down.

Is there some way of telling us when the blog server is down ? How about another site that can keep us informed on the status of the blog server ?

I happen to like bells and whistles, as long as they don’t interfere with routine functionality. That’s why I like emoticons. You can take 'em or leave 'em. If you decide not to use them, the forum is even faster and more functional. :idunno:

When I make a post, I generally don’t want to answer a quiz, or send a link. I just want to be done with my post, and then I either review it to make sure I didn’t screw it up, or I go to the New or 24 link to check out the latest posts.

If I’m confronted with a 4-second wait during which I’m presented options, which time out with a return to viewing the post just made, that’s acceptable. If among the options, the largest and most salient button takes me to view my just-made post, that’s acceptable. If I could hit the return/enter key to select that immediately as my default option, even better.

But the more options there are, the longer the wait is, and the further from being the default choice the ‘view my post’ option is, the more irritating, distracting and dysfunctional it becomes. I didn’t care for the quiz items, and I like the latest development even less.

It’s one of those ‘in theory potentially interesting but in effect not very useful and really eventually rather irritating’ sort of add-on’s. So I give it a thumbs down. But nice try… :wink:

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I’ll want to bitch about, but I’m only two posts away from oblivion so I won’t bother.

The function of being able to create shortened URLs sounds like a good idea for the reasons given, and nobody seems to object to the principle. It just appears that adding it where it interferes with the user experience is not helpful.

Could you add an option to do this in the reply/edit page? Or add a button similar to the edit button? Either option would also make it possible for the moderators to tag outstanding posts.

Hmmmm, it sounds like this feature would be helpful in making information articles more accessible. If posts/threads are labelled intuitively it might make searching for information easier. You could also (presumably) modify the function so that is automaticaly added the new URL to a master list somewhere that people can look at to find what they want. Instead of using the search users might try forumosa.com/p/sextoys first and be taken right to where they need to be. Just a thought.

Going a bit OT, do you have any figures on how many people use the search engine, and how often they use it? Do people give up using it after a few tries?

I’ll throw in another vote for ‘more annoying than useful’. If you want the ability to tag/shortcut a post, add a SHORTCUT option to the SQUEAL IGNORE EDIT list of options, or over next to the little white rectangle link to the post. If 99% of people don’t need or want an option, it’s too much a waste of their time to make everyone need to navigate past it every time they post just to make one or a few people who need it happy. Having a link to such an option on the post itself after the post is made will be nearly as convenient for those who need that function while not wasting everyone else’s time. It’ll also make it easier to add shortcuts after the fact without needing to re-edit the post. The current design is not optimal.

Thanks for the feedback. These are great ideas and I’ll make changes based on them.

No, we don’t track this.

I supposed we could add a counter and log everytime a results page comes up - but that would count all of the NEW, OWN and 24 searches

We could also add something to the form so that the counter is toggled everytime it is clicked - we just need to make sure that every search form has the toggler. If we time-stamped each toggle, we could consider groups of toggles stamped closely to each other as a single person trying oevr and over again.

But I don’t know how we would measure how many times people gave up using it, as opposed to simply stopped using it.

I think this could be done - then you don’t only have to be the OP in order to create a shortcut to a post you like :sunglasses:

I like jlick’s point. It’s an occasional-use feature, so it should come up when desired and not by default.

What are you trying to say with that super-sized font?
:sunglasses:

[quote=“Jaboney”]What are you trying to say with that super-sized font?
:sunglasses:[/quote]
That was Dragonbone’s idea :slight_smile:

Now it’s so big I didn’t even notice it at first. :fume: :wink:

Maybe you need to make it blinking, Goose Egg? :astonished: