Changhua Restaurants

Original Title: Changhua Food

I know Changhua is not on the top of everyone’s list of “places to go,” but after living here a few months, I found some decent places. Figured I would post them in case you are here at some point.

I don’t know what a lot of their hours are during the day, so I am just going to assume you’re here at night.

If you take the train and walk out of the train station, turn left and keep walking. You will eventually come to a 7-11 (imagine that!) Right before you get to that intersection where the 7-11 is, there is a small sandwich shop on the right hand side. They have tables out front and a balcony with blue Christmas lights on it. It is called the Casa Minierva. www.Minierva.com is their website. They have fantastic sandwiches and a great selection of GOOD Belgium Beer. I recommend the Corolus or Duvel. But if you’re not used to Belgium Beer, a few of these might put you under the table. So be careful.

If you’re more into atmosphere than food, there is a place called “Tea Work” on the right hand side of the street just before you get to that restaurant. The food…edible. Not great. But the atmosphere is perfect. If you just want a relaxing place to have a Corona or Heinekin, stop in there. Nice outdoor place with a pond full of fish…sounds cheesy, but what can I say?

My favorite place for a burger, in this country so far, is Flamingo Restaurant and Bar. It’s a hole in the wall bar on Zhongshan Road that has burgers that rival those back home in America (I used to get a burger almost anywhere I went). Be sure to ask for the cheese and egg on it. Holy crap! 04-720-1505 is their phone number. Easier to call and ask them to give directions to the taxi driver than it is for me to explain how to get there. But it’s on a street behind the huge Christian Hospital. If you get in a taxi and say “Chang Ji” (Chang like “Changhua” Ji like “Jesus” without the “sus”), the taxi driver should know you want to go to that hospital. Zhongshan Rd is right behind that hospital and if you’re coming out of the hospital onto that street, you make a left and it’s a few blocks down on the left.

Most bars around Changhua are mostly around the train station. Every bar I have been to here seems excited that foreigners are walking in. I can give you my favorites if you ask, but not going to explain them all in here. More fun to just walk around and see what’s there.

Matt Bronsil

Good to see another Forumosan living in Changhua. I thought I was the only one.

Flamingo is on Bo-Ai Rd - I don’t know the street number, but it’s a pretty short road.

Also, in the streets around the Foreign Affairs Police, there’s a lot of very big, very fancy type restaurants that are good for a date, a birthday etc. The one’s I’ve been in are not too expensive (under $300 for a big meal). There’s a lot down there - Italian, Japanese, Thai etc.

And there’s a great Thai restaurant in the lane behind the Confucious temple.

Finally, you’ll find Starbucks in the annex of Changhua Christian hospital.

[quote=“cfimages”]Good to see another Forumosan living in Changhua (Zhanghua). I thought I was the only one.

Flamingo is on Bo-Ai Rd - I don’t know the street number, but it’s a pretty short road.

Also, in the streets around the Foreign Affairs Police, there’s a lot of very big, very fancy type restaurants that are good for a date, a birthday etc. The one’s I’ve been in are not too expensive (under $300 for a big meal). There’s a lot down there - Italian, Japanese, Thai etc.

And there’s a great Thai restaurant in the lane behind the Confucious temple.

Finally, you’ll find Starbucks in the annex of Changhua (Zhanghua) Christian hospital.[/quote]

The Italian one is something I have had trouble with lately. Their juice has been watered down, the service takes forever (I waited over an hour the other day for a lasanga), and it just isn’t that great the last 2 times. Might have just been bad luck. Hola Amigos is just horrible…assume that’s NOT the one you’re thinking of, but the other one.

There is a nice Japanese one on that street. I think it’s the same one, but can’t think of the name. I think there are 2 there. I have only been to 1 so far.

Where are you in Changhua?

Matt

[quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”]

Where are you in Changhua (Zhanghua)?

Matt[/quote]

I’m near the Christian hospital and Flamingo bar. If you stand at the front door of Flamingo and look up and slightly to the right, my building is the big pink and gray building.

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”]

Where are you in Changhua (Zhanghua) (Zhanghua)?

Matt[/quote]

I’m near the Christian hospital and Flamingo bar. If you stand at the front door of Flamingo and look up and slightly to the right, my building is the big pink and gray building.[/quote]

We’ll have to grab dinner there sometime. I love their burgers.

Matt

Looking at the thread title I thought this was about Zhanghua specialities. One famous one is cold 肉園 (those kind of gelatinous dumpling things filled with mincemeat and crunchy chopped vegetables).