Changing child's legal English name from Pinyin to real name

FWIW, the British passport office originally suggested another approach to me: Get him a home-country passport with his Pinyin name, and then change it in in that country (via deed poll, or whatever), at which point it would indisputably be his official name in that country.

There would then be a delicate dance to get it changed on both passports, which might be impossible because of the “names must match” rules on both sides. Or he might just end up with multiple names on everything.

That’s why I held off and went back to the Taiwanese passport office instead. But if your country is unreasonable, perhaps it’s an option?

1 Like

That’s interesting. So I probably need to get his English birth certificate name added as an alias to his household registration. Currently it only has his pinyin name.

1 Like

I’m sorry that I don’t know what you can do to fix it now that your kid’s name is registered like this.

For the benefit of future readers, as far as I know you MUST insist that the child be registered with both Chinese name (characters) and foreign name in the HHR from the get-go and no pinyin version for his “foreign” name (that’s how my son’s name appears in his HHR). In order to accomplish this, you must have the English-version birth certificate from the hospital where your child was born - and that means getting it before mom checks out after the birth.

If you’re successful in changing the name, please post back, and good luck!

1 Like

Coming back to this topic

If a Taiwan citizen changes their Chinese name, then surely they also get the opportunity to update the English name on their passport and household registration. They can’t be stuck with the English translation of their original name forever.

I wonder if changing my kid’s Chinese name then changing it back is a possible solution to changing his legal English name

Does anyone know a Taiwanese person who changed names?

1 Like