Changing from Gold Card to marriage ARC

I have a Gold Card and just got married to a Taiwanese. My Gold Card expires in September, so I want to get me spousal ARC. We just registered our marriage at the Household Registration. They gave me a marriage certificate with my English name and Chinese name, and printed my Chinese name on the back of my wife’s new card.

So to change the ARC, I think all I need to do is have these documents, right?

• 2 visa-sized photos: white background
  • Original passport and a copy of it
  • Your spouse’s ID and a copy of it
  • Marriage certificate and a copy of it
  • Taiwan ARC application form

When filling out the ARC application, check ‘Change of Resident Purpose’ in the first section. Check ‘Married’ instead of ‘Single.’ Once reaching the ‘Reason’ section, place a checkmark by the word ‘Dependent.’

The only place my English name is written is on the certificate paper the household registration gave me. Is this normal? I’m just wondering how they would know that Chinese name is even me, since my Gold Card obviously only has my English name. In fact, the lady said I shouldn’t even need the certificate (it was optional to get one and I had to pay for it), but I insisted because the name on my wife’s ID could be anyone and I’d have no proof it’s me without that pink paper.

Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything, since I live in Tamsui and the New Taipei Immigration department is two hours away. Thanks.

Why would you want to get marriage arc? That’s a downgrade. Just change your gold card ARC to an APRC imho.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too.

1 Like

I know, but it won’t be quite three years in September. My Gold Card was only 2 years and 10 months. Plus, I haven’t worked as much this past year, so there are income issues for reaching the minimum (Gold Card is culture/arts through a USA publishing company). Thanks

Have you read the current requirements for that? There isn’t necessarily a minimum income requirement, depending on what subcategory you applied (or could next apply) under.

1 Like

Yes, that’s for a Gold Card, which I already have. For APRC, there are income requirements. Thanks :grinning:

Yeah I know there are, but I thought you were talking about not meeting the income requirements for renewing your gold card.

The point is that if you renewed your gold card such that you end up having been here on the gold card for 3 years, you’d later be able to apply for an APRC on that basis (e.g., in 2024, after earning twice the minimum wage in 2023).

AFAIK, this APRC would then be less restricted than if you later got an APRC based on your marriage (e.g., you wouldn’t have to stay here 183 days a year, in case that becomes an issue at some point if you want to spend an extended period abroad). It would just seem to give you more options.

3 Likes

When you get an APRC through a Gold card (instead of through a work ARC), the requirements are not the same. You should double check on this, in that you may be able to get an APRC that is not dependant on a spouse.

@fifieldt ?

2 Likes

Thanks @Noel , as per @Andrew , not all APRCs are created equal. If you move to APRC from a Gold Card ARC, you will enjoy additional rights - such as the ability to sponsor parents and grandparents for longer visas. Whether you need to provide certain documents at APRC application time is also dependent in part on current ARC, though the requirements to apply are generally the same. Changing to a marriage ARC may also mean you forfeit the right to the gold card APRC fast track.

1 Like

Don’t.

1 Like