Changing os from chinese to english

If I buy a new acer notebook from yahoo can I then take it to acer to have the os changed to and english os?

I remember looking into this, and was told no because the licenses are different.

hmm doesn’t make sense but then what does when buying stuff here?!?!?

irishmoe, you might want to check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=89210

I recommend you read it in its entirety before making any decisions.

[quote=“irishstu”]irishmoe, you might want to check this thread: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =7&t=89210

I recommend you read it in its entirety before making any decisions.[/quote]

Whoa Stu that was some read! So I should just buy something with Chinese XP and “fix” it myself is what I’m thinking. If I’m going to have a dodgy version of XP it might as well be the one I put on myself rather than the one I have to pay for at the shop!

I really want this http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/f15725511? but they’re out of stock. The guy just told me on the phone he’d “only” charge me 200nt to change the os to english on another aspire with similar specs but that I had to come to the shop TODAY or I’d miss out on this wonderful offer.
As a matter of interest stu what do you think of the netbook in the link?

Don’t get a netbook with a 3-cell battery, at least not if you want to use it away from a wall socket for more than 3h…

My budget is around 10k so not sure if I can get one that cheap.

The Asus official service center changed the language on an Eee PC I had bought for no charge. It’s right above their store in a satellite building to Guanghua - where MyFone is located (see below for address). There was an issue with the mic setup at the time, which got me to go to the service center - the guy saw my horrible Chinese and asked if I wanted the OS changed.

I ended up with a 1008, but when I was shopping at their store - they also had 1001HAs for around 10k. This was in December, so I’m sure the prices have dropped since.

I talked to the salesman and got a little bit of a cut on a RAM upgrade, so there may be some wiggle room on getting a battery upgrade if you open with the battery, then “discover” that you like the 3-cell laptop, but wish it had a 6-cell.

But yes you’re putting up with a lot with a netbook already, and going with a 3-cell is only going to exacerbate it even more. Would definitely recommend the 6-cell.

Near here:

Rainbow Plaza‎
Write a review - more info »
100台灣台北市中正區八德路一段34號
02-2396-8365
rainbow3c.com.tw‎

[quote=“mabagal”]The Asus official service center changed the language on an Eee PC I had bought for no charge. It’s right above their store in a satellite building to Guanghua - where MyFone is located (see below for address). There was an issue with the mic setup at the time, which got me to go to the service center - the guy saw my horrible Chinese and asked if I wanted the OS changed.

I ended up with a 1008, but when I was shopping at their store - they also had 1001HAs for around 10k. This was in December, so I’m sure the prices have dropped since.

I talked to the salesman and got a little bit of a cut on a RAM upgrade, so there may be some wiggle room on getting a battery upgrade if you open with the battery, then “discover” that you like the 3-cell laptop, but wish it had a 6-cell.

But yes you’re putting up with a lot with a netbook already, and going with a 3-cell is only going to exacerbate it even more. Would definitely recommend the 6-cell.

Near here:

Rainbow Plaza‎
Write a review - more info »
100台灣台北市中正區八德路一段34號
02-2396-8365
rainbow3c.com.tw‎[/quote]

Cheers I kinda had my eye on an acer but this could be good too. Good machine? Any problems with running it on a tv to watch movies?

Here’s a newer Acer with a 6-cell battery which is in range of your budget I’d presume shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 3O&ROWNO=4
Here’s a slightly older Asus shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 3R&ROWNO=4

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Here’s a newer Acer with a 6-cell battery which is in range of your budget I’d presume shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 3O&ROWNO=4
Here’s a slightly older Asus shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 3R&ROWNO=4[/quote]

Hey Swede :bravo: you always come up with the goods. Is it just me or do you answer all of my posts?

That first link didn’t work for me but I presume you meant this one

http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=ZHAE14-A47622931&SR_NO=DSAF0H&ROWNO=2

It looks good. I skipped it previously as I’m trying to avoid Windows 7 starter. There are some serious limitations to the os and it’s 2500nt for an upgrade but after reading about the problems with changing to english os I think I might just get it and then format and reinstall my own tiny xp that I’ve used on my last two computers. I wonder if it comes in a different color :wink:

Yup, that’d be the one, I guess the other offer expired.
Sadly it seems like Windows XP is on the way out.
Windows 7 Starter is better than what they planned, but yes, it’s still somewhat limited.

Not sure if this one has a 3 or 6-cell battery, the spec suggests 6-cell, but for some reason they also mention 3-cell in the description gohappy.com.tw/shopping/Brow … id=1034542 and it has Windows XP.

This Asus is also really nice for the money gohappy.com.tw/shopping/Brow … pid=447389 it was 20k when it was new and it has a lithium-polymer battery which is lighter than li-ion and gives you better battery life.

If you can stretch to 12k then this is a great buy, despite Windows 7 starter gohappy.com.tw/shopping/Brow … pid=810538

MSI also has a decent model for 12k gohappy.com.tw/shopping/Brow … pid=703178

Just realised that one is a shop solied model that may not contain everything it says it should so gonna give that a miss and try for another

You’re not saying what you’re going to use it for and I’m just curious, as I presume you’re aware of the limitations of a netbook?
The battery life is good, but most websites won’t fit a 1024x600 screen all that well which is one of the biggest flaws of a netbook. You’d also want to upgrade to 2GB of RAM at some stage, as even XP will be a lot happier with the extra memory. Any chance you could boost your budget a bit? As you can get some real bargains at the moment like this gohappy.com.tw/shopping/Brow … id=1059345 which isn’t much bigger or heavier than a netbook, but it has a dual core CPU, a higher resolution screen and 2GB or RAM as standard, as well as Windows 7 Home Premium. You also get a hard drive that’s twice as big and an HDMI port. Just saying…

If you’re lucky and can find a HP Pavilion dm1-1030TU for sale, then it should be a good option as well, as the last few ones were going for under 14k and it’s a really decent 11.6-inch notebook. That is if your budget permits of course. Google cache link webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … en&ct=clnk

[quote=“irishmoe”][quote=“irishstu”]irishmoe, you might want to check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=89210

I recommend you read it in its entirety before making any decisions.[/quote]

Whoa Stu that was some read! So I should just buy something with Chinese XP and “fix” it myself is what I’m thinking. If I’m going to have a dodgy version of XP it might as well be the one I put on myself rather than the one I have to pay for at the shop!

I really want this http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/f15725511? but they’re out of stock. The guy just told me on the phone he’d “only” charge me 200nt to change the os to english on another aspire with similar specs but that I had to come to the shop TODAY or I’d miss out on this wonderful offer.
As a matter of interest stu what do you think of the netbook in the link?[/quote]

Hey moe, sorry I’m not usually online at the weekend, so apologies for the delay. I don’t really have any advice to give you except to say that you’ve had some really good advice from TheLostSwede already. All I can tell you from my own personal experience is that I got an Acer Aspire One (one of the older 9" models) and sticking English Windows XP on it myself was not complicated. I don’t know if the 10" one would be as easy, although I suspect it would. Acer are very good about supplying all the drivers, etc on their support site.

I think at the end of the day, there isn’t much difference between an ASUS EEEPC and an ACER ASPIRE ONE, so whichever you decide on is up to you. Other offerings from other brands… well, I don’t have much to say either way as I don’t know anyone’s experience of them.

If you decide to go for a Windows 7 machine, TheLostSwede put some information on that other thread about how you can download the language packs.

Again, these are all your choice and we can only advise.

And do also note that most of these language-changing options fall into a grey area, legally-speaking.

Thanks lads for the advice. My budget is staying put I don’t really want too spend too much second child on the way so every penny counts. I’ll be using whatever I buy for general surfing and connect to my tv for movies so I’m hoping it’ll be all good. I’m not worried about battery life as I’ll only use it at home and work from time to time. The whole thing with me is value for money. I actually bought this http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DHAA4M-A47824900&c=A05 but when it arrived the screen worked for about 2 minutes then shut itself off! So that went back yesterday and I’m back to square one again.
As regards windows 7. The majority of netbooks only come with starter and I don’t want that at all! That ao752 you recommended looks nice swede and it’s very tempting to pay the extra but would the screen size really be a big issue in viewing websites and does it really come with premium? How was your aspire one stu for general web stuff?

Thanks again lads

I would easily go for the ao752 over any netbook, it’s got better hardware all around and it’ll play HD movies and has HDMI output if you want to connect it easily to a flat screen TV.

Fine for me. I wouldn’t like it to be my only way of connecting to the Internet, due to having to scroll down a bit more than usual, but it’s not that annoying really. The fact you’re getting a 10" screen will make it slightly better too, although the screen ratio is still the same, I believe.

That ao752 looks great. I wish my 9" one had an HDMI output.

Fine for me. I wouldn’t like it to be my only way of connecting to the Internet, due to having to scroll down a bit more than usual, but it’s not that annoying really. The fact you’re getting a 10" screen will make it slightly better too, although the screen ratio is still the same, I believe.

That ao752 looks great. I wish my 9" one had an HDMI output.[/quote]

Arghh now I want the 752 :wink: If I talk to you guys long enough I’ll be getting a new tv too. Thanks anyway I’ll have to think about it.

Now I have a couple to choose from.For my extra 4000 I get hdmi and a bigger screen on a faster machine.hmmmm Ican’t decide!!