Changing public schools to other area - how difficult?

My daughter is in third grade and attending a local school in New Taipei City. We recently found out about a school that puts far less pressure on their students and my wife and I would like to transfer our daughter to that school. Is this possible? The new school is also in New Taipei City but in a different “district.” Do we need to find a way to change our daughter’s “hu-ji” to that other district? Or is it just a matter of registering at the other school since it’s also in New Taipei City? Any help anyone could give would be much appreciated!

I’m pretty sure you’ll need to change your household registration to the other school zone. The only exception that I can think of is if the school has open admission for all residents of New Taipei City. If you contact the school, they should be able to tell you. Just out of curiosity, what is the school you’re considering?

Thanks for that. I’ll have my wife call this week and report back here. By the way, I think I know you (we work in the same field and we gone out for drinks with others in the field). Didn’t know you were such a fan of Zeppelin. Very cool. The name of the school is Chang-An in Badu I think it is. I’ll post with the name in Chinese after I figure out what it is and more information.

Yes, that’s definitely me. I didn’t realize you were also on this site. Nice coincidence. Hope to see you soon.

Badu is too far for my family to consider, but maybe others would like to know.

By the way, I know many people who have changed their household registration for the sake of their kids’ education, and it is very commonplace in Taiwan. I’m sure your wife can figure out all of the relevant info quite easily. You’re welcome to PM me for more info, as my wife and I are somewhat familiar with it. The only problem I can see may be finding somebody in that school’s area whose address you can “borrow”.

[quote=“scomargo”]Yes, that’s definitely me. I didn’t realize you were also on this site. Nice coincidence. Hope to see you soon.

Badu is too far for my family to consider, but maybe others would like to know.

By the way, I know many people who have changed their household registration for the sake of their kids’ education, and it is very commonplace in Taiwan. I’m sure your wife can figure out all of the relevant info quite easily. You’re welcome to PM me for more info, as my wife and I are somewhat familiar with it. The only problem I can see may be finding somebody in that school’s area whose address you can “borrow”.[/quote]

I almost never post here but I’ve been doing a bit of lurking lately. I’ve heard of such “borrowing” of addresses for this purpose. Does this change things for tax purposes? Can you still claim the son or daughter as a dependent if you do this? I guess it’s not a big problem if you can’t but it’s something I’ve always wanted to know.

Go to the local real estate agency. They often have clients who have household registration for rent. But this is more common in the desirable school districts in Taipei city. I’m sure they can answer your question about taxes.

I can’t really shed any light on the tax issue, but one way to avoid worrying about that is to change your child’s household registration to the borrowed address. Then, once your child is admitted to the new school, change the child’s household registration back to your own address. By doing it this way, your child may only be off your household registration for a couple of weeks/months at the most. You’d need to check with the school if this plan would work. I think it does at most schools, but there may be exceptions.

I can’t really shed any light on the tax issue, but one way to avoid worrying about that is to change your child’s household registration to the borrowed address. Then, once your child is admitted to the new school, change the child’s household registration back to your own address. By doing it this way, your child may only be off your household registration for a couple of weeks/months at the most. You’d need to check with the school if this plan would work. I think it does at most schools, but there may be exceptions.[/quote]

Thanks for that! My wife is in her hometown and I’m working at home. That’s why I can’t just ask her all these questions! She’ll be back later today. All I’ve got to say is that this speaks volumes about the place we call home! You gotta love it!

Go to the local real estate agency. They often have clients who have household registration for rent. But this is more common in the desirable school districts in Taipei city. I’m sure they can answer your question about taxes.[/quote]
This is another great tip! (And another “hmmmm…is there any rule, law or regulation that can’t be circumvented?”)

No, it doesn’t affect the tax, and yes, you can still claim. My two kids are listed under the wife’s home in Kaohsiung, but we live and rent in Taipei and have been able to deduct for them as dependents every year despite the living address and household registration being different.