Chao Chien-ming's detention arouses envy in China

Chao Chien-ming’s detention arouses envy in China

CNA , TOKYO
Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006,Page 1
Source: taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003314533

How did a Taiwan newspaper get news from Tokyo about the opinion of people in Mainland China?

Is this what passes for journalism nowadays? Foraging through unnamed Internet fora to find unattributed quotes to support your preconceived idea? This article is no better than a Xinhua article that quotes a DailyKos commenter who says that American democracy is permanently broken or a Little Green Football commenter who says we should nuke all those ragheads.

If anything, this article is a good reflection of how desperate the pan-green camp is now.

What would such a large newspaper in Japan have to gain by making up stories about this. This isn’t CCP controlled media we are talking about. Not everyone fabricates stories.

Anyway, it is completely plausible and completely hilarious that this sort of news would backfire on the Communist Party. Hahahaha.

[quote=“Hobart”]What would such a large newspaper in Japan have to gain by making up stories about this. This isn’t CCP controlled media we are talking about. Not everyone fabricates stories.

Anyway, it is completely plausible and completely hilarious that this sort of news would backfire on the Communist Party. Hahahaha.[/quote]

On the other hand, it could be mere pro-DPP propaganda that the CCP’s propaganda has backfired.

Of course, no one in China would ever associate the corruption in Taiwan to the corruption over there. Any protest against corruption in China is swiftly taken care (the protester, not the corrupt, you know what I mean)…

[quote]http://goldsea.com/Asiagate/606/21corruption.html

In recent days, investigators from the Communist Party’s anti-corruption watchdog have widened their targets, questioning an unspecified number of officials with city-backed construction and property companies, executives in the property sector said. [/quote]

Base on this news it seems Beijing is quite interested in cleaning up their corruption issues. They’re detaining and firing people in their own rank. Suspending trading of stocks in HK of companies involved in corruption…

Perhaps Taiwan should take note of things going on over there. 4 million ROC citizens went to PRC last year, 1 of them must of learn something of value that can be applied politics on Taiwan.

well, they apply it so well you get what you have now…

Well if President Chen’s son in law could be arrested on suspicions of corruption, I think it throws a rock at the naysayers that say Taiwan’s democracy is a “sham” may not be the case at all.

And a few months ago, when information about the CCP shooting a bunch of protesting villagers, well that had to be gleaned pretty much online as well. The notion that the CCP would just post such news is…

… just like the recent riots over school diplomas in China. That had to be taken mostly online as well.

Sorry but news just doesn’t get around in heavily censored media like Xinhua. Finally the Shimbum is much more reputable, comparing it to Xinhua is a farce.

I’m sure the article is factually correct. I’m sure there are many in mainland China who’ve made the comment and wondered about the same. Personally, I think the point is a valid one.

On one hand, Chen Shui-bian’s a professional mess and he’s done nothing but confirm my poor opinion of his integrity. (I’m not calling him a criminal. I’m just calling him a slick “lawyer” for whom identifying the truth is a secondary priority, and who doesn’t mind lies/obstructionism as long as it can’t be proven in a court of law.)

On the other hand, there’s no opportunity for public examination of this type of corruption in mainland China. The Communist Party has insisted that it can handle the responsibility of managing discipline internally, but the problem is a very difficult one. I think everyone (including Hu Jintao) probably has wondered in his mind if a free + aggressive press might not be a better way of exposing and tackling corruption. And Taiwan is giving us an excellent example of this process at work.

And on my third hand… I think the article is ridiculous with the “point” that it’s trying to make. This is just one more tiny piece of information in a very complicated picture that most Chinese are well aware of. It’s insulting to my (and every other Chinese’) intelligence to suggest this revelation is forcing us to re-evaluate the relationship between society and government.

Speaking of insulting to our intelligence… this reminds me of the NY Times article a few months back that suggested the show “chaoji nushen” (the Chinese version of ‘American Idol’) was going to start a political movement by introducing “democracy” to the Chinese masses. Right.

well, slick and lawyer seams to be two words that go along very well. So, for next president of Taiwan, why not an economist? People who studied law are too cuning to be rulers, while people who studied economics are pratical and really don’t care about they are going to be seen in the future. So please, can anyone point a very good economist (I know, it has to be taiwanese) as a possible person to be eligible. He may be as corrupt as the rest of the pack, but he can give speaches that will leave most journalists “offside”.

The smartest people in modern Chinese societies aren’t economists, either. The brightest people always applied themselves towards applied math/physics. The PRC government is almost exclusively engineers.

In the modern Taiwanese political system, probably only a slick lawyer can stay alive long enough to get to that top position. But if we were going to blow it all up and start all over with a society that has some internal consensus…

… I wouldn’t mind if Lee Yuan-tseh (Nobel in chemistry '86) ran for office, even if he was pretty much abused as a political tool after supporting CSB’s administration.

But at least an economist has notions on how to run things well. Even if the measures would be bad for some, I think that a good economist is a key for a successfull country.

I would like a 20 something nubile young female model to run the country. Expectations would be low and TV rating would be up.

I truly believe that democratic campaigns are just marketing these days. One could probably get a bottle of soda elected into office on Taiwan, if done correctly.

I think democratic campaigns are worse than marketing campaigns. At least coke doesn’t run commercials that suggest drinking pepsi will lead to poverty or a state of slavery.

The truth is, very rarely do governments really have to make the sort of critical controversial decisions that history books remember. 99% of the time, the role of government should be making sure the consensus decision of experts are implemented effectively. That fact seems to be lost in practice.

Well, comparative marketing is forbidden in most countries…

Maybe the multi-party democratic system would work better if they learned a little from the restrictions applying to consumer advertising.

• do not make claims unsupported by scientific/expert evidence.
  • do not make comparative claims of any kind.

For those that do not believe the article because it comes from a Japanese paper:

blogcn.com/u/95/88/gaoshanka … 21440.html
blog.sina.com.cn/u/3fa9131a010003l8
blog.sina.com.cn/u/493ea5c2010003mg
blog.sina.com.cn/u/4950951e010003mg
blog.sina.com.cn/u/48c727a501000363
blog.sina.com.cn/u/497cc8f9010004az

Very nice SC! I hope you found these yourself.

As I already posted in this thread, I do think the article is factually correct, as your links confirm. It’s natural for mainlanders to question the implications of these disclosures. (And personally, I think mainland journalists are also playing up this news as a way of striking at local corruption as well.)

But I also stand by my point that it’s insulting to our intelligence to suggest this disclosure is some how going to strike a significant blow to the PRC political system. For example, from the links you provided:

我知道,我也看得十分清楚,近年来,我们国家的民主政治在不断的进步着.

• I know, I can see with absolute clarity, that political democracy in our country has been continuously improving in recent years.

Would you agree with them on that, too?

political democracy in China means “no protest or else…”.
here are some cases:

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGASA170322006?open&of=ENG-2AS

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,1796616,00.html

http://www.hrichina.org/public/contents/press?revision%5fid=29386&item%5fid=29385