Character input method for windows mobile phones

I’m currently using an HTC phone with Windows Mobile 6, and am looking for a good, preferably free input method for traditional Chinese characters. Having purchased the phone in Europe, it originally displayed all Chinese characters as squares, but I have installed what I think is called ‘A4’ Chinese character input software.

It now displays characters fine, but the problem is that I cannot send any text messages in Chinese. The input method works using pinyin (which I need), and the characters display fine on my phone and when I send them, except the receiving phone only gets a ‘???’ instead of the characters.

Is this because the Taiwanese mobile input method is not based on pinyin? Or is the software simply faulty? If so, can anyone recommend a better one that is proven to work with non-Taiwanese phones texting to Taiwanese phones?

Thanks!

[quote=“Ah Q”]I’m currently using an HTC phone with Windows Mobile 6, and am looking for a good, preferably free input method for traditional Chinese characters. Having purchased the phone in Europe, it originally displayed all Chinese characters as squares, but I have installed what I think is called ‘A4’ Chinese character input software.

It now displays characters fine, but the problem is that I cannot send any text messages in Chinese. The input method works using Pinyin (which I need), and the characters display fine on my phone and when I send them, except the receiving phone only gets a ‘???’ instead of the characters.

Is this because the Taiwanese mobile input method is not based on Pinyin? Or is the software simply faulty? If so, can anyone recommend a better one that is proven to work with non-Taiwanese phones texting to Taiwanese phones?

Thanks![/quote]I’ve no idea what the problem is with the A4 software. If I were you, I’d give the trial version of CE-Star a go, and if it worked OK, shell out for the registered version. 28 USD for the regular version, 43.50 for the one with handwriting recognition and a dictionary.

It used to be a bit unreliable with WM 6 and 6.1, but apparently an update fixed that. Anyway, you can use the trial version to test it for yourself.