Characters pronounced differently in Taiwan and China

[quote=“DoD”]

I’m not quite sure what your question is, Elegua. What does “run goods” mean?[/quote]

That while incorrect many native English speakers say or write it…

Cranky, obviously.

Have you met someone that had a different theory? That is at the heart of why I am looking for such a list – still looking. Of course it is the same with every language. Look at various pronunciations of English words depending on the speaker’s location.

But, of course, we use the written language as a sign post to say “I mean this. You mean this, too? Oh, were saying the same thing.” Historical linguists for Chinese, English, and I would have to guess any other language that has historically had a writing system, use this to research sound changes in the language through time.

DoD, I’ve never met a Taiwanese person who knows that it’s ximen t ing3 [Forumosa-ism – if I write ximenting, all one word, but with a t, it comes out with a d when I submit my message!]. They all – including Chinese literature majors, Chinese teachers, and other ‘well-educated’ types – argue with me. I have to whip out a dictionary and even then they act like I must have typed up a fake dictionary just to fool them. And I don’t think the reason is because they are confusing it with 畹町 in Yunnan. In fact, 99.9% of Taiwanese people tell me it’s a Japanese made character and never used in Chinese. I’m not faulting them, as it is a very rarely used character. Still, you’d think since it is used for such a well known area that at least the well educated would bother to look it up.

You are correct about Microshaft. Their traditional pinyin does it too.

This explains why the street signs of 汀州 Road are spelled “Tingzhou”, but when I asked around for where a certain alley off Tingzhou Road is, people looked at me funny and “corrected” my pronunciation to “Dingzhou”.