Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Granted, it seems that Mr. Burton and John August wants to stick to the original book more than David Seltzer and Wolper did, does it seem to me that this version is more surreal than Roald Dahl’s version?

And does anyone find the similar high cheek bones, limp locks, rosy lips, and pale complexion of Johnny Depp (as well as the enticing of children into his wonderland…) eerily similar to…oh, say well-known celebrity who was recently under trial?

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present…

Exhibit A:

and

Exhibit B:

I daresay we have a new “Gloved One”…

Okay, seriously. I am looking forward to seeing this new take on Dahl’s book. We grew up with Gene Wilder as the unpredictable, original Dubya. I’m interested in Johnny Depp’s spin on the character. The sets themselves look like someone you might see in a dream…or a Dr. Seuss book.

When I opened this thread, Warner Bros.’ Web site tried installing a cookie!

ImaniOU, who do you work for?

I dunno. I found the Gene Wilder film far too slapstick and not nearly dark enough compared to the book – AFAIR Wilder did it as a kind of happy clown with a very slightly dark edge, whereas the book had him as a VERY dark character indeed. Most of Dahl’s writing is pretty fucking dark, after all, especially if you read his adult work – he flew Hurricane fighters in WWII Greece against impossible odds, after all – out of the 16 people he trained with, 13 died in combat – that’s guaranteed to make anyone pretty dark in outlook.
I haven’t liked kid movies since I was a kid, but I’m looking forward to seeing this new one.

Well then sandman, Tim Burton seems like the perfect director for your vision of Dahl’s book. He’s a pretty dark movie director.

The downside I see from viewing the trailers is that Depp sounds (and come to think of it, looks) a bit too much like one of his former roles with Mr. Burton: Edward Scissorshands. A kind of high-pitched squeaky, timid voice…not at all the one I would have put on Willy Wonka.

I saw the movie this weekend and I loved it. But why did they change the ending? I didn’t love that. The original ending was much better.

The movie was OK, but not great. I imagine 90% of the humour would have been lost in the Chinese sub-title translation. I noticed (as usual) the local folks laughing at completely different points to myself (but most of that was probably just cultural differences in humour). A bit embarrassing being the only one to burst out at some innuendo in a theater of 400 people…

Anyway, the subtle (and twisted) humour in Depp’s lines was by far the highlight. Beyond that, as another poster said, it was just a kids’ movie.

I haven’t seen the new version yet but I can’t see Johnny Depp and Tim Burton screwing up Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I think some chocolate zombies would make the movie more interesting.

The Gene Wilder version simply rocked.

ImaniOU I thought the guy in your Avatar was Michael Jackson. What a relief.

Hated the music. I was expecting to sing along to my favorite song “ompha lumpa…” But the ompha lumpa or how ever you spell it was good in this movie. I didn’t get the ending. What was the trade off, kid goes and works in a factory and once a week goes home with boss in tow for dinner with family. Well hell then, that aint “Charlie and the Chocolate factory” That’s Yang Yang and The Walmart factory…

The audience here laughed during the first 15 minutes of [i]Saving Private Ryan[/i]…go figure.
And anyway, I detest Johnny Depp.

what’s with the ompha lumpa singing in english? I thought they couldn’t understand English and had to use sign language. :s

The house was inside the factory, so the whole family moved in with Wonka. As far as the movie, I loved it. Everything rocked, but the audience didn’t get it. Just how do you translate, “Hep cat daddy-o!”

[quote=“ImaniOU”]

And does anyone find the similar high cheek bones, limp locks, rosy lips, and pale complexion of Johnny Depp (as well as the enticing of children into his wonderland…) eerily similar to…oh, say well-known celebrity who was recently under trial?

quote]

[quote]And does anyone find the similar high cheek bones, limp locks, rosy lips, and pale complexion of Johnny Depp (as well as the enticing of children into his wonderland…) eerily similar to…oh, say well-known celebrity who was recently under trial?
[/quote]

Actually, on the posters up around town he looks like the guy from Clockwork Orange.

[quote=“Namahottie”]Hated the music. I was expecting to sing along to my favorite song “ompha lumpa…” But the ompha lumpa or how ever you spell it was good in this movie. I didn’t get the ending. What was the trade off, kid goes and works in a factory and once a week goes home with boss in tow for dinner with family. Well hell then, that aint “Charlie and the Chocolate factory” That’s Yang Yang and The Walmart factory…[/quote] I missed that song too. Wonkavision could have easily been mentioned. Other than that I loved the movie.

[quote]OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DOO
I’VE GOT A PERFECT PUZZLE FOR YOU
OOMPA LOOMPA, DOOMPADAH DEE
IF YOU ARE WISE YOU’LL LISTEN ME
WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU GUZZLE DOWN SWEETS
EATING AS MUCH AS AN ELEPHANT EATS
WHAT ARE YOU AT GETTING TERRIBLY FAT
WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL COME OF THAT
I DON’T LIKE THE LOOK OF IT
OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DAH
IF YOU’RE NOT GREEDY YOU WILL GO FAR
YOU WILL LIVE IN HAPPINESS TOO
LIKE THE OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DO
DOOMPADEE DOO[/quote]

[quote]Actually, on the posters up around town he looks like the guy from Clockwork Orange[/quote] Which droog do you mean?

[quote=“sandman”][…]whereas the book had him as a VERY dark character indeed. Most of Dahl’s writing is pretty f***ing dark, after all, especially if you read his adult work – he flew Hurricane fighters in WWII Greece against impossible odds, after all – out of the 16 people he trained with, 13 died in combat – that’s guaranteed to make anyone pretty dark in outlook.
I haven’t liked kid movies since I was a kid, but I’m looking forward to seeing this new one.[/quote]

Sandman, you’ve reminded me of a poster I had of Roald Dahl on my wall when I was a kid - it was a freebie from Penguin books. The text underneath the photo said “Be careful you don’t confuse his adult books for children, with his children’s books for adults.”

Time for me to revisit Mr Dahl, I think. Fantastic Mr Fox is one of the few books I’ve read more than twice; and though Pig didn’t steer me to vegetarianism, it is a story that has evaded my ability to forget almost everything I read.

I saw it recently, and thought it was pretty good, although I really didn’t like the oompa-loompas in this version, they were the one big let-down for me. And of course, not hearing “oompa-loompa, dippidy-do…”

Yeah, just how do you translate “whip” cream, and finding a “hair” for my factory. I too was the only one burst out laughing in the entire IMAX theater.

I loved the way Mr Depp couldn’t say ‘parents’ - he looked like he would vomit! Had serious doubts before seeing it but loved every minute especially the line about the squirrel’s nuts. Does that translate into Chinese?

We’re watching this movie now. Depp looks like the evil Michael jackson. Geeez. :s