Charlottesville protests

I am deeply alarmed by the hateful and dangerous nature of the event, its timing so soon after the horrors in Charlottesville, and the serious questions over whether the National Park Service is at all equipped to ensure public safety during a white supremacist rally," said Pelosi, D-Calif., who represents San Francisco. “The NPS should reevaluate its decision and its capacity to protect the public during such a toxic rally.”

Seems pretty clear thats what she called it, are you doubting the race of the person Tucker is talking to, or the racial makeup of the speakers?

1 Like

Sorry I’m not watching that clip. You can call that a cop-out if you want, but the dude is such a preppie stereotype that I’m not sure I could sit through the entire whatever minute clip without gagging.

No need to watch the clip, just reply to what Mick wrote.

I don’t know if communists in America are specifically targeting caucasians. There’s gotta be a few lunatics, sure. And undeniably there’s history and our original sin of slavery. But the American communists are largely complaining within realms of economics and socioeconomics, and not blaming genetics or deeming caucasian babies lesser because those babies are caucasian. Whereas neo-Nazis, or just the forefront Nazi doctrine is the idea of ethnic cleansing and racial superiority (ditto KKK).

Look, I’m smart enough to know that I’m not smart enough to decide what the best form of government or financial system should be. But history and centuries of conditioning cannot be ignored, and we need to right the wrongs of our forefathers and do the best we can to fix society’s prejudice of every child born (black, white, or everything in between), and make it so that society values every single child equally so that they can have the best shot at thriving.

What about it? Like I said, I’m not here to defend Antifa. And I don’t think punching anyone, including Nazis fulfills the objective of stamping out nazism. I just don’t think there’s a moral equivalence between white supremacist mobs and counter-protestors, which is what Trump seems to think.

I’m pretty sure Trump condemned both sides in his speech, saying it’s unacceptable.

Glad that we finally managed to agree that punching people for ideological reasons is wrong, even though it took quite some time.

3 Likes

Good place to end it then. :slight_smile:

Oh, I got no dog in this fight.
I’ll pretty much eat whatever falls out when the bin tips over.

I’m just dreading the bloodshed when the PBP (Pure Beans Patriots) show up armed to the teeth.

Can’t we all just get along???

1 Like
  1. I can only speak from whats close to my orbit, but most younger progressive people in LA (which, along with NY is likely one of the most liberal cities on Earth) think Pelosi should go. Probably only older moderates like Pelosi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkQKVMYyPoM

I thought it was funny. I am white.

Unfortunately there’s a fairly large movement of people who supports the idea that all social injustice in the US and/or the world is caused by white people. This has been going on for a few years, with more and more people joining the party either because they got brainwashed into thinking that all their problems are caused by the caucasoid devil*, or by white people who want to feel morally superior.
It would be a funny situation, if it wasn’t that very often these groups will have marches or events where violence against “teh evil whites” is on the menu.
And of course, this lead to the rise in nationalism/white suprematists/neonazis etc, because if you let young people in Universities chant things about killing all white people, then eventually some white people will feel like they need to do something about it. Far left and right go hand in hand, the rise of one leads to the rise of the other one. In the US we’re now seeing a growth in nationalism, which had to be expected.

• = I didn’t make up that term, some of those “neo commies” refer to middle class white men as “caucasoid devil”. Not kidding.
1 Like

Btdubs, if someone’s a closet white supremacist or closet racist and never act on it, fine by me. Bottle that bigotry up, keep it to yourself. In cases where things only affect and impact their inner dialogue, they are entitled to all the first amendment they want.

I lived in a communist country before, it was not bad. People owned their own houses and small farms, sent their kids to private schools. People drove Mercedes, BMWs and Volkswagens. There were no bread or food lines. over a 10 year period, I spent a school year and many summers there. When I heard all the anti-commie rhetoric, I had to wonder where they got all that communism evil stuff? All the kids would tease me about America being violent and racist. That I agreed to, because I got caught in that maelstrom. When your parent is an immigrant, people act a certain way. When they find out that parent is from a commie country…in the era of anti-communism…the Reagan years…yeah…I had a good childhood.

Wow. This (mostly the way you described it) is news to me, and truthfully sounds kinda fringe.

May have to ask my communism sympathizing friend about this sometime. Being racially Scottish-Irish he might have a unique perspective. Or maybe not, if I don’t want a debate haha.

On 1, I not only agree, that seems true of quite a few career politicians on both sides of the isle.

On 2. I don’t think you really addressed the question of is it appropriate (doesn’t matter who) to mischaracterize political opponents as white supremacists or Nazi’s when they are no such thing and it seems the goal is to encourage a violent faction like Antifa to tun up and incite violence?

I voted for Trump because he wasn’t Hillary. For this issue, Trump should have said the white supremacists are bad (period). Nothing good will come from talking about anything else when you’ve just mentioned white supremacists. He tried to hit back at the media over the other groups of violent knuckleheads. He is definitely not a politician. The other violence by some of these so-called liberal groups needs to be addressed but he would have fared better with the media if he had not combined criticisms. The problem with my country right now is that people from all groups are buying into the hatred of identity politics.

Okay, admittedly a very few choice aspects of communism seem pretty practical, such as universal healthcare. Canada looks like they’ve nailed the system down quite well. Or FORMOSA, y’all. Having said that, Obamacare sucks. With where I’m living and the premium costs, I’d pick to pay the fine again next year than have to get a totally unaffordable healthcare plan. It’s not affordable at all, guys. Many of my friends have also paid the fines because we just can’t afford the premiums.

I’d like to get more details and your insights on living in that communist country. My friend’s told me what he sees as an abundance of merits countless times, but most communist regimes I’ve seen have crashed and burned and resulted in people revolting and reforming. Also, democracy and individual rights are too important. And I don’t like the idea of normalizing the big brother, and healthy competition is good.

@Mick Lying to incite intentional violence is always not great. Also insulting to label someone as a white supremacist or nazi if they blatantly and unequivocally reject such bigotry.

1 Like

YOU GUYS IT’S 3:35AM. I have work, y’all. Bye.

1 Like

Obamacare is flawed, but a step in the right direction. It needs to be re-tooled and re-worked, or outright replaced with an insurance scheme a la Taiwan. Or, remove the employer-mandate and remove tax subsidies to insurance companies, keep the pre-existing conditions mandate, allow individuals to deduct 100% of their premiums from taxes, remove the out of network penalties, and go from there.

I think I was wrong to compare Tito’s communist state to that of the SU, or other states. I think it would be more in line with Lee’s Singapore from a political perspective, and Marcos’s Philippines from an economic one. Yugoslavia had the highest standard of living in Eastern Europe. I had another aunt who lived in the Netherlands, and I can attest that at the time, Sarajevo and Amsterdam were more or less the same. You know what I am getting at. My uncle was an economics professor. He did not seem pressured by anyone. My aunt, who was a Muslim, worked in finance. I dunno. I just didn’t see all this horror in communism that was portrayed in the US at the time, and even till now. Communism, and the fall of it, did not kill Yugoslavia. That issue is a very complex one.

That’s when you have private insurers in the mix, they are in business to make money.