Cheap bourbon so I think

Don’t they import the malt for that though? They could import the corn.

Wondered about that, too, but already Kavalan is super expensive due to angel’s share in the sub-tropics. I don’t think Taiwanese palates would value a NT$2-$3k bottle of bourbon when white-label Beam can be had cheap, and because it’s not Scotch whisky I doubt that any foreign market would provide a purchasing base sufficiently strong enough to build a brand (might be able to sell bottles based on curiosity alone, but those might be one-off sales only).

Bourbon isn’t usually aged as much as whisky, so the angel’s share loss might be smaller and the price might be lower. But I think a Taiwan “bourbon” would still probably be sold at an above-market price, at least based on Kavalan’s experience.

Still, you never know what devious marketing minds can come up with.

1 Like

Ha, the magic word ‘CHEAP’!

Yes, bit of a brain fart on my part of course. I kind of assumed corn commodities were higher but that doesn’t appear to be the case. I think a corn based whiskey would be a really interesting experiment here.

It’s like cheap lager, rice, corn and some barley.

It would be. Naming it would be fun. Lao Ye Ye maybe.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/開普洋酒/@22.6264252,120.3105068,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMzKoQWrpLyqIhFy8ZgKBVGONR0rxdl24rnwiYj!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMzKoQWrpLyqIhFy8ZgKBVGONR0rxdl24rnwiYj%3Dw152-h86-k-no!7i3840!8i2160!4m5!3m4!1s0x346e049046ee6481:0x8ba4502e01baa4ec!8m2!3d22.6264249!4d120.3105068

This store (CAPE liquor) has 4 for NT$1000 Wu Fu (5th) road and MinQuan Kaoshiung City.

Don’t think I won’t do a road trip.

If everyone just buys 250 NT$ Bourbon, they’ll be out of business soon.

Okay a lot of talk here about bourbon let’s set the record straight. Bourbon is bourbon not true.

Most connoisseurs and Average Joe’s recognize that bourbon is from Kentucky. Just like champagne is from Champagne france ooh la la. Just like a good cigar from Cuba.
Most bourbon labeled outside Ky. are cheap…let’s be honest.
Jim Beam on the cheaper side is actually a good Kentucky bourbon best for mixing
Kentucky Gentleman another cheaper bourbon I’ve seen in Taiwan occasionally actually has a great taste. A bunch of Cheaper bourbon I’ve seen outside of Kentucky taste like dog crap just being honest.
Are there great so-called bourbon whiskeys outside of Kentucky of course Canadian Mist, Jack Daniels just off the top of my head but are they true Bourbons no. Again kudos to Jack Daniels for knowing the difference and labeling their product as whiskey.

There’s a reason why so many companies outside of Kentucky have their bourbon distilled inside Kentucky because they know.

There’s a reason why over 85% of all bourbon is distilled in Kentucky because anything else is really not.
Maybe next time you have Taco Bell you might convince yourself you’re eating real Mexican food. Don’t get me wrong I love me some Taco Bell sometimes but it’s not Mexican food.

There’s bourbon,there’s whiskey and there’s scotch. And how anyone could ever confuse Scotch with bourbon is beyond me.

Terroir is important, but if a drink is good it’s good. There are many sparkling wines I prefer to sparkling wines from Champagne.

I agree that if a drink is not from a certain region then it shouldn’t be labelled as such.

There you go sparkling wine not from Champagne France from Champagne France champagne.

Yes I agree like I said earlier in my post Daniel’s and Canadian mist both great I am drunk and love both

1 Like

I won’t pretend that I understand you, but have a large one on me!

California has some of the best sparkling wines in the world but it’s not champagne.

Is it labelled Champagne?

Let’s have a large one on each other enjoying our beautiful life in Taiwan hopefully yours is good

I do not believe so.

That’s why they call it sparkling wine haha

Is it labelled Champagne?
[/quote]

Yes (Korbel Brut California Champagne) , would not say it’s the best but cheap(er) https://www.samsclub.com/sams/korbel-brut-750ml/prod1340941.ip

Technically it’s California sparkling wine. They can’t call it Champagne unless it’s grown in parts of France designated as within the Champagne region.

It’s like California Meritage, which are a class of red wines very similar to Bordeaux wines but can’t be called Bordeaux for the same reason.