Cheap Drinks.. where are you?

I hear that drinking in Taiwan is the quickest route to selling your kidney on e-bay to make rent. Any exceptions to this rule?

7-Eleven?

Forumosa happy hours! :slight_smile:

Em-dogz,

Yes, I agree. Typical western style bars and restaurants are quite expensive places to go to, especially for new comers on a tight budget.

(Un)Fortunately, one seems to get used to the prices after a while, more so once you have a couple of bucks to spare. Still, I don’t go out every night, but when I do, I don’t worry too much about how much I spend.

I treat myself from time to time, so I go to The Tavern instead of the 7-Eleven patio. :slight_smile:

Order a couple cases from Geert – great Belgian beers at bargain basement prices! http://www.mybeer.com.tw/

[quote=“stan”]Em-dogz,

Yes, I agree. Typical western style bars and restaurants are quite expensive places to go to, especially for new comers on a tight budget.

(Un)Fortunately, one seems to get used to the prices after a while, more so once you have a couple of bucks to spare. Still, I don’t go out every night, but when I do, I don’t worry too much about how much I spend.

I treat myself from time to time, so I go to The Tavern instead of the 7-Eleven patio. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Good man! :beer:

Just spent a few weeks in Europe, where prices of (lousy) food and (small) drinks are really so much higher than here. We should not complain. Of course, it all depends on the spending power one has, but according to ‘parity purchasing power’ statistics, people in Taiwan have almost the same spending power as in Europe. Most things in Taiwan are cheap (transportation, food, mail, gas, etc), service levels are high (that is, the speed and friendliness, maybe not always the quality) and day to day life here is convenient.

Yeah, you’re right.
It’s also important to try and remember that it’s only the “exotic” stuff that’s expensive. If you can handle living (eating, drinking, socializing, recreating) 100% “local”, it’s cheaper than shit.

I usually go to PR at the Living Mall. It’s about NT$ 500 all you can drink…any kind of mix etc. And the only place where you can still hear songs by Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit…they play all kinds of music.

Wow, that sounds pretty good, what’s the crowd like?

Its quite big…crowd is just the usual…little preppy. The DJs that used to work at spin play there now. DJ Mykal is very good (he opened for Prodigy) When they have special parties the fee is more…

partyroom.com.tw/pr.html

The pub connected to theTaiwan Beer Brewery, off Bade Road, is apparently a cheap place to enjoy Taiwan’s finest. Never been there myself.

Of course, this is awesome.
But it certainly relates to what I said earlier about going “local”, it’s about as “local” as you can get.
Good (I think) CHEAP beer, the odd attractive female, nobody gets in your face.
But they don’t play much Limp Bizkit there, either.

You don’t get out much if you think that’s the only place.

Any of the Roxy’s, Wax or B1 all play that Linkin Bizkit crap.

Wanna drink cheap, just go local. There are thousands of little beer bars all over the place where you can order gong pao ji ding and wash it down with a 600cc Taiwan Beer for 60 NT. 80 NT for imports like Heineken. No music, no spicy girls to pick up, no other expats to talk to, just cheap beer and cheap food. You can hang out with the crusty old bald Taiwanese guys who sit around playing mahjong in their pajamas all day, drinking cheap beer on the sidewalk in the afternoon.

You don’t get out much if you think that’s the only place.

Any of the Roxy’s, Wax or B1 all play that Linkin Bizkit crap.[/quote]

Yup, but B1 is one big pukefest…U can’t dance at Roxy, and Wax…yet another pukefest. This place actually plays Asian music too…from Hong Kong, Japan, etc. I like it:)

They actually threw in Einsturzende Neubaten!!!

Simply avoid most of the rip-off pubs that advertise.
You can drink at a reasonable price in The Zone by bar crawling from happy hour to happy hour. No beer costs more than 100 NT.
Malibu West from 4-9pm
My Place 6.30 - 9.30
Peace Jazz all times / 100 San Miquel
Richys Niche
and many more…hic…hic…
Especially on Sundays. ( Philippina Day)

Cool thing about PR is that women get NT$ 320 all you can drink…

I wish I knew about this site earlier, I got a mixed case after seeing your post. I was impressed with their service and its interesting to try different beers each time. The Duvel is lovely and so are the Hoergaarten Grand Cru’s… what do u recommend?

Yeah, you’re right.
It’s also important to try and remember that it’s only the “exotic” stuff that’s expensive. If you can handle living (eating, drinking, socializing, recreating) 100% “local”, it’s cheaper than shit.[/quote]

I wouldn’t generalise on Europe that way, I really think it depends on where you stay. The food and alcohol was better price and quality wise in Budapest, but I haven’t been to western Europe. Beer was as cheap as water in Eastern Europe. Even Italy was better value than Taipei… sure its more expensive, but the food is… unbelievable. The value in Brisbane restaurants is also much better than Taipei