Cheap fresh flowers in Da'an/Xinyi

Looking for a place to buy some individual flowers to put in our vases to freshen up the house. In Florida I could grab 6-12 flowers on my way out of the grocery store for under 10 bucks. In NYC or Mexico City you’d see flower stands along the sidewalk. Basically, convenient and cheap.

I know there’s the Flower market on the weekends, but I’m wondering if such stores exist to buy more frequently during the week? When I search online I just see a ton of florist shops that seem to offer fancy arrangements and such…but would those be a place I could pop in for cheap flowers on a regular basis? Or any particular convenience/grocery stores/wet markets that sell flowers?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Have you tried the Dongmen Market (東門市場)? There is at least one flower vendor on Lane 75, LinYi St (臨沂街75巷) in the morning.

1 Like

UNIQLO’s flagship store on Zhongxiao East Road (on the ground floor of the Mingyao Department Store, near Zhongxiao-Dunhua MRT Station) has a nice compact flower store near the front entrance. If you’re in that area, it could be useful.

Guy

2 Likes

Yea I suspect the reason is cultural.

In the West you give flowers as gifts to be nice when visiting someone, or to your girlfriend to propose to her.

In Taiwan flowers are usually only given for funerals, tomb sweeping, or to congratulate a new store for opening (I don’t know how this works).

So the need to buy flowers spontaneously in Taiwan is very limited.

Can you stop writing yea when you mean yeah? You know yea is pronounced yay, right?
Former English teacher’s rant over.

probably any normal florist shop can sell you cheaper flowers they arent using for arrangements. 10usd, 300nt, should buy you a nice bunch, depending on species and season. definitely one of those situations you shouldnt look online but rather on foot, face to face. if price is the point.

1 Like

The “Taipei Flower Market” near Neihu Costco has the best prices I’ve seen on individual stems. They’re only open mornings though.

1 Like

Quitter

I was going to say Costco or a big box store. Used to very good and cheap there.

You would quit too if you saw the pay.

1 Like

This is the internet. Perhaps you meant, the workload?

The workload was heavy, but I didn’t mind it. It was the low pay of an English teacher that did me in.

Some PX Marts and Carrefours sell fresh flowers.

Thanks!! This would be most convenient for me, I guess I’ll scope out a couple of the carrefours/px marts nearby. My regular store (carrefour) is not one of the ones that sells fresh flowers but there are plenty others not far away.

In my experience you’ll get better quality at the flower markets but it’s more effort depending on where you live. The ones I’ve gotten at PX Mart are ok for a while but droop sooner than the ones you get a the Taipei Flower Market near Costco, which have lasted twice as long (we’re talking lilies mostly but some others too). I went to the Jianguo Flower Market last day before CNY but they were pretty sold out but other times the selection looked good. Never seen any at Carrefour but the ones I’ve seen at Costco look like they won’t last very long.

1 Like

Today at my local Carrefour…

I am in Kaohsiung though.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for sharing! But yeah I hear Carrefour is very different inside Taipei vs everywhere else.